Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ?

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #1  

mbazzy

Tractor
MF GC1725
Hi Folks just a quick question: My hydraulic couplers on my GC1720 are very hard to take off and put on due to the tight location and heavy springing Does anyone use a special wrench or tool to get a better grip and apply better pressure ? My hands just don't have the strength in such a tight space to grip and push /pull to be effective.

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #2  
Sure they aren't loaded with dirt? Parkers are notorious for getting dirt between the collars and the body making them very hard to release. Every time I mount or dismount my loader, I take a jar of diesel and clean the couplers one at a time in the diesel and then apply some light motor oil.... and every time I get crud in the diesel. In fact, I have a dedicated jar of diesel just for cleaning them.

I still not so fondly remember the first time I dismounted the loader and it took me 3 hours to get 4 hoses to disconnect. All because of crud between the sliding collars and the fitting. The springs (when the fluid isn't under pressure) are not that stout.

I'm old and somewhat feeble myself.

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #3  
Did you properly relieve the pressure on the fittings before trying to remove/connect them?

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #4  
When I need to disconnect my grapple connections - I shut the tractor down with the FEL about a foot off the ground and with the grapple open. I then lower the FEL and close the grapple. This "seems" to help ... but it could be my imagination :)

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #5  
You've gotten some great suggestions already; each and every time, relieve the pressure before disconnecting and keeping things clean. BTW 5030, thanks for that idea, I'm going to find a can or jar, I've always just used a rag to clean as well as possible before.

I also carry a rag to wrap around the coupler when moving to release, the rag seems to give a little extra grip.

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #6  
I had seen a post somewhere where a person had taken a set of vicegrips and welded a set of forks on each jaw. One sized to go under the coupler by the hose end and another to go over the sleeve, they seemed to work great..............Mike

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #8  
Some GC owners have put hose extensions on the backhoe for this reason. They say it helps with removal and installation.

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #9  
OK - I'm convinced. My hydraulic couplers for the grapple are right out in the open. However - I've not taken the grapple off, even once, in the six year I've owned it and I SURE have no plans to now. I "fiddled" with one coupler once - I have neither the hand strength nor adequate vocabulary to handle this operation. I will just leave well enough alone.

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #10  
Hi Folks just a quick question: My hydraulic couplers on my GC1720 are very hard to take off and put on due to the tight location and heavy springing Does anyone use a special wrench or tool to get a better grip and apply better pressure ? My hands just don't have the strength in such a tight space to grip and push /pull to be effective.

mBazzy -- I do not own a GC but the problem you describe is universal with all brands and all models -- anything with quick connects. First there are 3 kinds that I know of -- one that simply pulls off with extra force and pushes on with extra force (e.g. my remotes are that way. The 'old AG type'.) Then there are the spring loaded sleeve types which you are probably working with and then there are the ___ heck, I forget the 3rd type. Might be more. Anyway, many if not MOST connector configurations are such that you cannot get your hand fully around the darn thing to get a good grip. Older folks like myself whose grip has lost a step are frustrated by that lack of finger space. I'm sure others have mentioned directly or indirectly that you need to get the hyd pressure off first (!) Rock the control levers, try EVERY position, etc. in order to relieve pressure. I have also seen them where it is not obvious, visually, which is the male and which is the female end, adding yet one more obstacle to the effort. The other poster who partially described an appendage welded on to a set of vise grips may be onto a great idea. [PLEASE POST WITH PICTURES??] I have at times used a very large vise grip to hold the spring loaded sleeve while exerting pull on the line but I don't like pulling on lines. It is also too easy to damage the spring-loaded collar. Entire topic is VERY COMMON and very deserving of better solutions.

The recent years appearance of the expensive lever operated option of ganged connect/disconnect for the 4 hoses on loaders is industry admission of the problem.