Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ?

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #21  
I'm a little late to the party, but I've always had problems with quick couplers, too. Lots of good suggestions have been offered, and I'm already following most of them. Last week, one of the flat faced couplers on the grapple just wouldn't latch, so I pulled both ends off so I could take them into the shop and properly clean them. Still wouldn't latch, so took the sticking end and put it in a vise and pried the reluctant sleeve up until it would latch. Even then, the little ring in the middle wouldn't seat. Tiny text on the coupler identified it as coming from Summit Hydraulics, so I gave them a call. A tech there asked me where and when I'd purchased them, then said he'd send out a free replacement. Pretty good support, especially since it had been almost 18 months that they've been in service. Now I'm thinking about how I'll protect the fittings once they're connected. Maybe try wrapping them in a piece of old t-shirt?

coupler.jpg

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #22  
For the past couple of weeks the only way I can get the couplers to open or lock is to carefully heat them with a propane torch to melt the ice out of them. I have also found that even the smallest dent on the slide will keep them from opening/closing correctly and its best to just replace them when they get stubborn.

Amazon does sell the couplers that Kubota uses on their loaders.

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #23  
RedNeck,
You are spot on with protecting the couplers from dirt and moisture by wrapping them.
I did this when I worked for the County Highway Department, especially the couplers on the sander.
I used paper towels, but cloth will also work. Squirt heavy oil on the coupler, then wrap with paper towel several wraps and secure with a piece of light wire. Just a couple wraps of wire, I didn't even twist the ends. Then hit it with the oil can several more times, to soak the towels with oil.

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #24  
Guys I am very grateful for the replies it validates that i am not the only one seeing this as an issue. My hands are not as strong as a few years ago so I really struggle trying to get leverage. I tried using a pry bar with a good handle to carefully push back the sleeve and a vise grip to grab the male hose coupler and that with much coordinated effort seems to get me in business.
Been very carful to clean and depressurize the couplers. Thanks for the the replies.
My dads that way. He was tough for a long time, though. You can keep a big cheap crescent wrench on your tractor. I believe ours says " Squirrel Brand" on the handle. But adjust it open to just catch the collar sleeve and smack it with your heel of your hand and knock sleeve back. Also drop by a hydraulic shop and you can buy some little ELL connections that are easy to install on your hoses. That way you won't need as much grip to install the hoses. They're only a few bucks each. Sometime I'm working with a group and swap several things a day. Most guys can disconnect but they drive by me and want the hoses put back on. Them two things, big cheap crescentology wrench and some "L" or even "1/4" turn or 45° fittings or a mixture will make things a lot more easy.

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ?
Thanks very much for the ideas I will give those a try

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #26  
could prob gain a lot by 45deg on top 2 and should have enough hose off the bucket to allow that.
bottom 2 not much you can do w/o redesigning the mount, but with couplers on top up a touch could prob access lower 2 easier.
least I suspect that would work.

btw...ready for the 10-20+ inches snow here saturday??
yay...

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #27  
I have the same problem, even with the pressure removed getting both hands in there and being able to pull the collar back and push/pull on the coupling is getting hard. It must be age. I saw someone else mention these and ordered a set. They need some modification to fit. Plan on working on that in the spring when I take my FEL off for the summer.

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ?
I have the same problem, even with the pressure removed getting both hands in there and being able to pull the collar back and push/pull on the coupling is getting hard. It must be age. I saw someone else mention these and ordered a set. They need some modification to fit. Plan on working on that in the spring when I take my FEL off for the summer.

I was doing ok when my BX had them 4 in a row decently spaced so i could easily grab the collar and push the male fitting in with little to no problem but with my MF GC1725 they are 2 over 2 stacked and its tight around each fitting. I just can't get any leverage
could prob gain a lot by 45deg on top 2 and should have enough hose off the bucket to allow that.
bottom 2 not much you can do w/o redesigning the mount, but with couplers on top up a touch could prob access lower 2 easier.
least I suspect that would work.

btw...ready for the 10-20+ inches snow here saturday??
yay...
Yup saw that forecast i am ready given the weather services track record I'd be surprised if we actually do get that much but i will be ready

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #29  
According to latest models, unless you live within 20 miles of the coast you may not get much. We're about 100 miles inland, near the CT River, , looking for only 3-5" at this point... but we've seen that change before, haven't we??

/ Hydraulic couplers are too tight to move by hand special pliers/wrench ? #30  
According to latest models, unless you live within 20 miles of the coast you may not get much. We're about 100 miles inland, near the CT River, , looking for only 3-5" at this point... but we've seen that change before, haven't we??
in MY Etna they now calling 8-12 due to track moving more eastward. I'm about 20 miles by air southeast of Bangor.

Capture.PNG