Hydraulic disconnect is stuck..help!

/ Hydraulic disconnect is stuck..help!
If the QA circuit is using QD's, quick disconnect plugs, unplug and reconnect the QD's. Sometimes the QD's will hang up and not connect together correctly. If the QA cyl is working properly, there is enough force to bend things. If you put a pressure gage in the circuit, it will help trouble shoot the hyd system.

Does the relief go off when you try to engage and disengage?

I disconnected and reconnected and I still have the same problem. I'll try again this evening when I get home.

Okay, sorry for the stupid question, but how would I know if the relief goes off?

What's the easiest way to check the pressure? I'll happily buy a gage and any needed parts once I figure out what I need.

You said you get no movement when you try and open and close it, right?

First I would take the bucket and bounce it around a bit. Whack it on the ground and see if you get any love.

Second, if it you see light around the pegs then the cylinder is jammed open (debris in the valve in the cylinder. Take it apart, clean and put back together but more than likely just get a kit form PT and rebuild the cylinder.

I actually get some movement. The pictures I posted show the QA arms as far open as I can get them. They will however go fully into the locked position. I'll try banging the mower on the ground a little evening and see if I get anything.

/ Hydraulic disconnect is stuck..help! #13  
Disconnect the quick attach cylinder hoses from the tractor.

Use some wrenches and take the hoses off of the quick attach cylinder or take the ends off the hoses, your choice.

That will relieve all hydraulic pressure from the QA cylinder.

Take a hammer and tap the pegs inwards towards the open, or disconnected position. At least that will get the attachment off of the plate and you can see where things are binding.

Of course, don't put an part of your body under the attachment when doing this. :laughing:

/ Hydraulic disconnect is stuck..help! #14  
Or, you could just remove the two bolts that hold the QA cylinder onto the pegs and do the same thing. ;)

/ Hydraulic disconnect is stuck..help! #15  
A hyd gage can be installed with a tee at the input to the valve, or P port on the FEL valve. The relief going off will sometimes sound like a squeal. If you have a gage installed, and you move any cyl to the max, that should activate the relief, and you can see the relief pressure on the gage. The hyd gage is also used to monitor the hyd system and trouble shooting .

Do you remember a sound when the FEL cyl's are at the end of travel? If not, push the lever any direction, and when the cyl rod quits moving, do you hear a sound or a different sound?

You can also make up a test gage by using a 3000 psi hyd gage, fittings ,hose, into a QD to plug into one of the QD fittings that you want to test.

If you install some test points, using 1/4 male QD's at different points on the machine, just plug in and check if you have pressure, and how much.

Last edited:
Alright guys. Thanks for all the help so far. Here's the update. I took the two bolts off the QA cylinder and the cylinder works just fine (thanks for the tip JJ, but for now, I'm assuming the hyd system is fine). Tried all manner of beating on those pegs and I can move them to the fully locked position but can't get them to budge past the point of releasing the QA plate. I then removed the bolts on the three arms hold on the QA plate (hoping to perhaps relieve some tension) and beat the crap out of those pegs and still can't budge them. Any thoughts on my next move? Bigger hammer?

On a side note, last fall I had a machine shop make me a three point hitch adapter and bought a small (but pretty heavy) box blade. I only used it a small amount, but a buddy tilled up a small garden. I wonder if the pulling action is what has bent the QA plate? As hard as it is stuck I can't believe it was bent when I put it on there, but otherwise I can't figure out how it got warped with the mower deck on.

Anyway, thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming!

/ Hydraulic disconnect is stuck..help! #17  
Mine did the same thing but not as severe and it was still under warranty and power trac sent me a new attachment plate. Don't know why it happened because I was just using my mower deck and my light material bucket and not even any abuse at that. At the time less than 40 hours on it. It could be just a cheap piece of steel and not as hard as it should be. While making the plate they could have gotten it to hot and softened the steel. Hope you can get it worked out. If you make one or have one made get some steel with a little better temper to it.

/ Hydraulic disconnect is stuck..help! #18  
I would unbolt both the receiving plate from the attachment and the male plate from the lift arms and replace both with new. Once removed you could probably beat on them enough to get them apart, but they are probably weakened enough so they could bend again...

Using the 3pt adapter with the box blade made the distance longer from the QA plate to the edge of the blade causing an awkward angle that caused the plate to bend when force was applied. Just a thought.

/ Hydraulic disconnect is stuck..help! #19  
It almost seems as if something got between the QA plate and attachment, then the hydraulic QA ram wedged the pins in pretty good. I'd give a quick call to Power Trac and seek advice before beating the cr#P out of the locking pins. With the QA cylinder removed, there should be nothing holding them in. You could try putting a little down pressure on the attachment and then tapping the pins. If that doesn't work, wedge the attachment under something like a truck bumper to put some up pressure on it and try tapping again.

/ Hydraulic disconnect is stuck..help! #20  
Can I suggest trying to put enough clamps on the attachment and QA plat to bring them into better alignment? You might be able to free the QA levers and then release the clamps and the attachment.

It sounds as if your QA plate on the tractor bent somehow.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter