Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #11  
I am by no means an expert or authority on hydraulics, so this is just my opinion...

Black iron or galvanized pipe, intended for water pipe or nat. / LP gas (hardware store pipe) is thinner than fittings designed for hyd. use. I suppose they are schedule 40? At any rate they are usually not thick enough to have the bevel on the inside like you are looking for. And if they are thick enough, they are not machined on the inside. The only way these ever seal is thread-to-thread. Here is an example: Black Malleable Iron Pipe Fittings Notice that it says they are for low pressure (not over 150 PSI). I wonder why a hyd. hose place is even selling them?

But usually fittings sold for hyd. use are thicker (schedule 80? ) and will have the inside bevel. Here is an example: Hydraulic Pipe Fittings These are sold for hyd. use, but I doubt there is any way to guarantee they all have the inside bevel. For example, I doubt that item 5404N is thick enough to be beveled like you are looking for. It may have a slight bevel, but it's probably just from reaming the end after it was cut and threaded. The fittings that look like item 5500 through 5605 usually have the bevel. Like Kenny said, all hose end fittings have it, but for ordering online, unless you can call and ask (and get lucky enough to talk to someone who *1* Knows what they are talking about, and *2* Will care enough to take the time to actually check for you, I think you just have to decide if you want to take the chance for the lower price. If it comes in without the bevel you can always toss it in your spare parts, then go buy exactly what you need locally. Or, try to use it. I have got lucky a few times joining a female pipe swivel to a non-beveled fitting. But it is, at best, a hit and miss, cross your fingers and hope it doesn't leak. Which is to say, I have also been unlucky and had that combination to leak.

Again, just an opinion, but based on over 30 years of working on forklifts, tractors and construction equipment.
jp

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!
I am by no means an expert or authority on hydraulics, so this is just my opinion...

But usually fittings sold for hyd. use are thicker (schedule 80? ) and will have the inside bevel. Here is an example: Hydraulic Pipe Fittings These are sold for hyd. use, but I doubt there is any way to guarantee they all have the inside bevel. For example, I doubt that item 5404N is thick enough to be beveled like you are looking for. It may have a slight bevel, but it's probably just from reaming the end after it was cut and threaded. The fittings that look like item 5500 through 5605 usually have the bevel. Like Kenny said, all hose end fittings have it, but for ordering online, unless you can call and ask (and get lucky enough to talk to someone who *1* Knows what they are talking about, and *2* Will care enough to take the time to actually check for you, I think you just have to decide if you want to take the chance for the lower price. If it comes in without the bevel you can always toss it in your spare parts, then go buy exactly what you need locally. Or, try to use it. I have got lucky a few times joining a female pipe swivel to a non-beveled fitting. But it is, at best, a hit and miss, cross your fingers and hope it doesn't leak. Which is to say, I have also been unlucky and had that combination to leak.

Again, just an opinion, but based on over 30 years of working on forklifts, tractors and construction equipment.
jp

Thanks for the input. This is what I have discovered as well.....I was hoping that there was something I was missing......I guess not:(

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #13  
Exactly!:)

But if you want to put a fitting in the swivel end and not a hose end, how do you know if the fitting is going to have the bevel or not? In this case I need a bushing to reduce from a 3/8 NPT female swivel to 1/4 NPT male hose end. You can find fittings with the bevel, I got one recently. I had to go to a shop and show them in person what I was talking about. It's the one on the left. Sounds like I'll have to buy it locally. I didn't want to do that since the cost is substantially less online.
The steel hi pressure fittings all have that interior bevel in my experience. The ones ive bought for years from Surplus Center certainly do. The NPT bushings dont however:eek:. If you have room you could come out on a male to female fitting and then bush down
larry

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #14  
Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch from a distance. ;)

There are 2 different ways to seal NPT. The external threads, and the internal 45 degree seat. Most steel hydraulic NPT nipples have one end that is flat and the other end has the 45 degree internal seat for sealing against a swivel surface. The reason they don't all have the internal seat is simple, money. It costs money to machine the internal seat so it isn't done on every fitting. Most NPT to whatever adapters do not have the internal seat cut. Reason being, they are almost never used on an NPT swivel fitting.

I have machined many an internal seat on my lathe. You can do this at home in a decent drill press and the right drill bit. It doesn't take much to get these to seal. You can be way off on the angle and they will still seal. Don't believe me? 37 degree JIC and 45 degree SAE fittings interchange and seal well. Except for -6 and -12 SAE, they are a different thread and won't screw together.

Trust, here is the best piece of advice I can give you. Go to a local shop instead of the internet. Notice there are no internet fitting suppliers here offering their knowledge. They could care less about you or your problems, they just want to separate you from your money and that's it. BTW, just my humble opinion.

Andy

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #15  
Good advice.. buy local. support the guy who will be helping you fix your stuff if/when it brakes.

soundguy

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #16  
And also helps to support local business and local jobs.

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #17  
Trust:

Do you have a Parker Store near you? They should be able to help you out, and welcome to the crazy world of hydraulic fittings.

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #18  
Not to get into politics.. but my idea of 'stim' would be to giv eth people money and then let us give it to the business we deal with.. that would IMHO.. get the economy going.. starting fromt he ground up.. not the trickle down method we -may- be seeing.

ditto on the local though... if you don't spport local.. what do you do when the local place closes.

I can get hoses made at napa.. etc.. but we have only (1) real hyd repair shop within 4 cities of me... IE..a place I can take a pump, motor or cyl and get it resealed or fixed..e tc... if he closes.. I will need to be buying some big spanners!

soundguy

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #19  
Another good store that is all over the USA is Fastenal. They carry a large selection of fittings. You can buy online but I would rather do business with one of the local stores. The people in the stores are very knowledgeable and helpful. Also, if they don't have something they can either make it or get it. They have full manufacturing shops for turning out one of a kind stuff.

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #20  
We just got one of those in our town.

Speaking of specialty products.. anyone know where to get brass ( bronze? ) fuel screen.

I used to be able to buy it in sheets 'back inthe day'.

I checked grainger and was a no-go.

I have some fuel valves I need to solder up some strainers for to repalce the cheesy plastic strainers they came with befor ethe new diesel out the guts out of them..

soundguy