Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #31  
It must be a regional thing... our local store will sell fittings.. but no hose.. thus no crimping on site.. though I'll bet you could order the tools etc.

soundguy

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #32  
All Fastenal stores do offer custom made hoses, but not all of them do it in house. Usually only the bigger ones have hose crimpers on site. The other ones have to ship out the work to the regional fabrication center to get them made.

Personally I like Fastenal. Their local, usually have what I need and can get most other items. I have found my local stores are pretty good at tracking down hard to find items. And if they can't find it they can make it. I would rather buy hardware from them where the tax money is staying local instead of buying from a company like Grainger, MSC or McMaster Carr. They also employ local people, more of my money staying local. Another thing I really like is their bolts. I like to buy USA made when I can and they offer both import and made in the USA hardware. Again, keeping my money local.

However I don't use them for hydraulic hoses. I use one of two local hydraulic shops for that. Why? Because the hydraulic shops specialize in one thing, hydraulics. Don't worry Wayne, I still support the local hydraulic guy's. :)

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #33  
I'm amazed they can be competative on the hyd hoses if they have to send them out to be made ( some stores that is.. etc. )

soundguy

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #34  
I don't think the fact that the smaller stores have to get the regional depot's to make the hoses really has much effect on the price. I think they have daily delivery from the depot's. That's why when they don't have something in the store that is in the catalog they can usually have it later that day or the next day.

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #35  
Based on this thread, I stopped in one of our local FASTENAL stores yesterday. None of our 5 area stores make custom hose nor stock hyd. fittings so I'm told by the store Mgr. I was also told if I order fittings and make a mistake, I can't return them. I'll try somewhere else, thanks.

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #36  
I really try to shop local but some of the guys around here make it hard. I wish we had someone like Wayne in our area! Until you decide to franchise I guess I'm stuck with the internet.....:mad: Hopefully the customers that Fastenal is trying to scalp from you will realize that having someone who can tell them more than what page in the catalog something is on is worth a few pennies!

We just had a few Fastenal stores open locally and have to say I was underwhelmed at the selection, prices, and knowledge. I'm sure the local managers and employees can make a huge difference in the knowledge part.

I have the same problem with our local hydraulic supply shop. If you're not one of their big commercial customers, you are a complete waste of their time and they'll let you know it! When trying to buy some fittings I was told " I could get it but you need to order a hundred". I was looking for 10 -6 AN steel unions and there wasn't a customer in the store! :confused: I've tried to buy from tham at least a half dozen times with similar results. Sorry to put you out buddy!

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #37  
I really try to shop local but some of the guys around here make it hard. I wish we had someone like Wayne in our area! Until you decide to franchise I guess I'm stuck with the internet.....:mad: Hopefully the customers that Fastenal is trying to scalp from you will realize that having someone who can tell them more than what page in the catalog something is on is worth a few pennies!!

I really like having a local "real' hyds store to go to when i need work. it's a 40 minute drive.. but beats me breaking down large cyl's in my shop without the right tools.

On the flip side.. i also like to be able to run down to TSC and grab pre-made hose sections with pip efittings ( and then adapt over to ORB or JIC if needed ). to get me out of an emergency if I have a blown hose. Not having a cutom hose is a mere inconvienience when your mahcine is broke down on a holidy weekend.. later on.. having that correct hose is nice though.. then you can save the non custom hose for use later. for that reason i keep a 6' and (2) 3' hoses with pip ends on them in the shop, coupled together to keep them clean.. I have a small baggie of various orb and adapters to fit most of the hyds applications I have.

As i said.. not a repalcement for the correct hose.. but great for emergiencies.

( heck.. most of the old stuff I have doesn't even need the adapters.. all it's hyds are pip fittings anyway! ;) )

soundguy

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy! #38  
And what a blessing to have the guys who frequent this site willing to share their obvious years of experience. THANK YOU!!!!

/ Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!
Well, contrary to the advice given I went ahead and made a couple of orders online. Oddly enough, all of the NPT fittings I ordered had the inside bevel I was looking for, but I had no assurance of that prior to placing the orders. All of that frustration for what:rolleyes:

As far as the local guys are concerned, I agree and I do try to support them when I can. Some times, however, it's just as frustrating to rely on someone local to figure things out for you as it is figuring it out yourself. Often times, for me, just getting somewhere during there "business hours" is part of the battle. Besides, I'm a real "do it yourself" kinda guy and get satisfaction out of learning about something and doing it all myself. Thanks for the help and insight about the fittings.