Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry #41  
The inner high pressure seal blew out and the outer shaft seal followed because it is not designed for high pressure. It's function is more to keep engine oil out of the pump than to hold hydraulic pressure inside. With both seals blown, the engine was slowly filling up with hydraulic fluid.

The service manager told me that the first one of these they did, they just replaced the obvious outer seal. He said when they installed it back into the tractor, it instantly failed again and they learned that you should always replace both seals for a reliable fix.

Cool :), On mine the input shaft seal blew out just due to age and drying out, but I replaces the inner seals as well. I remember we had a discussion many months ago that at " lower pressure setting" around 2000 PSI and I'm able to do all my lifting tasks and whether it was advisable to up it to factory spec and the answer was " not really". The flip side of it is that guys always want to shim things up or fiddle with pressure setting to get more raw power... :D. I reckon if I had loader I'd be looking to do the same.

Glad you got her working and as usual leaving behind good information for the folks here when needed.:)

JC,

Ps. For me, I would not lose a raw opportunity like that to get close and personal with the pump by trying to overhaul it myself.:D:D

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry
Dave and JC: If I had my shop finished and had a place where I could have a very clean workbench to do the seal replacement, I'd have surely given it a go. As it is, I just didn't want to do it under a shade tree, and I have way too much to do the last 2 or 3 weeks with getting new siding on my house, a wider driveway pad, and a new bathroom addition. I figured my attention needed to be where I was spending thousands rather than were I was spending a couple hundred. If it ever happens again, I'll probably be all over it.:D

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry #43  
Dave and JC: If I had my shop finished and had a place where I could have a very clean workbench to do the seal replacement, I'd have surely given it a go. As it is, I just didn't want to do it under a shade tree, and I have way too much to do the last 2 or 3 weeks with getting new siding on my house, a wider driveway pad, and a new bathroom addition. I figured my attention needed to be where I was spending thousands rather than were I was spending a couple hundred. If it ever happens again, I'll probably be all over it.:D

Man!!, excuses and more excuses...:D:D I just could not pass the opportunity though. I hope you don't have to be "all over it" again , anytime soon.:):) I've got a honey do list long enough and in-laws are getting to my nerves on top of everything else.:(

JC,

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry #44  
Thanks lot for your post of 04-11-2011. Iam having the devil of the time getting the hydraulic pump off . The stud bolts are all off and it slides back about 3/4 of a inch before stopping on a huge 20mm? bolt fm the engine block. Can't take the bolt out because it will hit jam against the pump. I can try to grind the bolt head down. it looks and feels like millimeters too far out. any suggestions.? I called the dealer, even spoke to a mechanic " they never have any problem"
thanks a lot for any help. Big snowstorm coming..

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry
Thanks lot for your post of 04-11-2011. Iam having the devil of the time getting the hydraulic pump off . The stud bolts are all off and it slides back about 3/4 of a inch before stopping on a huge 20mm? bolt fm the engine block. Can't take the bolt out because it will hit jam against the pump. I can try to grind the bolt head down. it looks and feels like millimeters too far out. any suggestions.? I called the dealer, even spoke to a mechanic " they never have any problem"
thanks a lot for any help. Big snowstorm coming..

Be very careful with any grinding. What you describe is a "banjo" bolt. It attaches the engine oil line and has to be removed to remove the pump. Since the banjo bolt head is hollow, you DO NOT want to grind on it at all. If you can't get the pump off, go have a talk with your dealer's service manager. It is imperative that you remove the pump properly or you will never get it back together without leaking. My best advice is to do it right or find someone who can and has the right tools. It's too easy to make an expensive mistake if you don't do this right. Good luck! I'm pulling for you.

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry #46  
I had to sand the paint away fm the bolt coming from the engine and remove the banjo fitting and then nudge the oil stick tube a bit. Then the pump slid right out with the two studs attached. The other two inboard bolts are very easily accessed from the front by unbolting the radiator and shifting it to the side (10 minutes) I took the old pump and attached studs to the dealer who removed the studs. They have threads on both ends. (the light went on, ahh). New pump went on in 1/2 hour. Thanks a lot for your reply.