Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions #111  
I now use what is closer to a 10 gallon or so plastic drum. My rope is 300' long.

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions #112  
Where you should in particular use a strap instead of a cable is on any tree you are trying to keep alive such as the tree you are connecting the winch or a pulley to. The cable can crush the cambium.

Ken

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions
Yes, thank you. I'm using straps on the trees I am not removing.

Still thinking about what I might use as a rope bag without spending much.

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions #114  
The 80 foot rope that came from blue ox winds up okay, but I'm not winding the 150' one from PWC correctly. Does it have to be a bag or would a 5 gallon bucket work?
If you can, try an old duffel or laundry bag. (Surplus store? Goodwill?) There are no sharp edges.

All the best,

Peter

Ordered this 10 gallon Friskars bag for $15. Amazon.com

Seems to be popular item with 11k ratings.

The rope handling is much better using a bag.

One other issue I'm having when using a pair of double pulleys is the rope strands start out without rubbing together, but then twist together as I increase tension. It can literally bind up the pull. Is there a solution for this?

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions #117  
Photo?

Sorry. I didn't take any pictures of the lines rubbing together when they are under tension. I'm wondering if the rotation of the capstan winch is somehow causing the rope itself to twist?

/ Hydraulic winch and other general PT usability questions #119  
I almost always use multiple pulley setups and normally I only have trouble if I am not careful about how I run the rope through them or tangle them up when putting them away.

Ken