Hydraulic winch won't push out cable

/ Hydraulic winch won't push out cable #1  

BWSwede

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar
Hello hydraulic experts,

I am hoping one of the gurus on the forum can help me undstand what is going on with the winch on my log splitter. This is a new piece of equipment I just purchased. The manufacturer is on summer holiday and is shutdown for 2 weeks.

The way the winch is suppose to work is either pull the cable in, lock the drum, or push cable out. There is no free-wheel. The valve is the manual, spring centered, 3 position type. There are 4 ports in use, pump, tank, and winch supply and return.

When I first got the winch I could not get the winch to respond at all to the directional control valve. Then I found a hand adjustment knob on an upstream device that appears to set how much oil the winch receives, thereby setting its speed. When I opened the flow control valve slightly, and moved the lever on the directional control valve to the cable pull position I could feel the cable get tensioned. However, I cannot get the valve to push the cable out. I have tried pulling it out with the directional control valve in the cable extend position and I have checked for cable binding on the drum. Unfortunately no luck.

What is interesting is that when I set the DCV in the cable extend position I can hear a drag on the tractor's engine. I know next to nothing about hydraulics but this leads me to believe there is a check valve or some sort of load control feature that is not letting the fluid flow.

If this means anything to anyone, the number on the valve is: Z50 / 4103630 / M / 22.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I am hoping there is an adjustment somewhere that will get me on my way.

TIA,
BWSwede

/ Hydraulic winch won't push out cable #2  
Bw
Did you get any schematic with this machine?

If not trace the hoses from the directional control valve to the winch motor. Does one both hoses flex at the motor when trying to push cable out of the winch?

Curious on flow control for the winch motor. Depending on style it may or may not have reverse flow feature. Is there any name or model code on that valve?

Pictures of components may also help.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic winch won't push out cable
odlnslo - Thanks for your reply.

I have tried moving the valve in the other direction and when I do the drum does not move but I can hear a slight drag on the tractor's engine. This tells me the valve is trying to push fluid in the correct direction but for some reason it is being blocked.

There is nothing between the valve and the hydraulic motor but two hoses. I am a novice, but if I had to guess, I think there is something going on in the valve, either on the supply or the return side. From what I can tell, there is something that is only allowing the oil to flow in one direction.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
BWSwede

Here is a picture of the valve.

Attachments

• IMG_3915.JPG
    IMG_3915.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
ptsg,

Thanks for the valve information, I'll look into it.

The splitter is a Uniforest 27 CD with an 8 HM hydraulic winch.

BWSwede

/ Hydraulic winch won't push out cable #7  
That's an interesting wood splitter.

You could try asking one of the US importers: Max Forestry in Colorado and Hud-Son back east. They're both helpful. Or your dealer if you bought it from a dealer.

Eric,

Before purchasing the splitter I contacted Hud-Son (largest Uniforest dealer in North America) to see if I could purchase from them. They said they don't sell that product, but if I wanted one they could probably order one for me. They said they weren't placing their next order for at least 6 months and that it would be at least another 6 months before they received anything. I didn't want to wait that long so I contacted a retailer in Austria and purchased it from them.

I have contacted them about my issue and they sent me an owner's manual for the winch, which didn't help at all. I contacted them two more times and my emails have gone unanswered. I don't think they know what the issue is and don't want to admit it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

BWSwede

/ Hydraulic winch won't push out cable #9  
I'm wondering if this could be a linkage issue/adjustment. Does the valve moves all the way to the end of its stroke in both directions?

I thought the lever moved the full stroke, but maybe it is being restricted somehow. Easy to check.

Not to loss track of the fact I can hear the tractor engine being pulled down slightly when the lever is moved out of the neutral position. This seems to me to indicate the lever is moving the spool into an active position.

Thanks,
BWSwede