Hydraulic winch won't push out cable

/ Hydraulic winch won't push out cable #11  
If lugging engine could be moving spool enough to restrict flow but not enough to allow flow to and from the motor. That is why I asked if the hoses to the motor are flexing or stiffening when you operate the feed out option.

Quick check on spool travel with machine off measure spool movement from center in both directions. Should be similar both ways.

/ Hydraulic winch won't push out cable
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for explaining. I'll take a look and report back.

Thank you,
BWSwede

/ Hydraulic winch won't push out cable #13  
I have contacted them about my issue and they sent me an owner's manual for the winch, which didn't help at all. I contacted them two more times and my emails have gone unanswered. I don't think they know what the issue is and don't want to admit it.

If Hud-Son doesn't sell them then Max probably doesn't either. They're smaller.

The manual for my Uniforest 35M forestry winch reads like it was translated from Slovenian into French and then German before being translated into English. It's not the worst manual I have seen but it's not all that useful either.

You could try reversing the hoses between the valve and motor. If it can then unwind the cable the problem is the valve. If it doesn't, then it's probably not the valve. Another check would be to disconnect the hoses and try to pull the cable out by hand. It seems like if the motor and winch drum are free to turn you should be able to pull it by hand. But a blockage of the hoses might prevent that.

Could you post a pic of the restrictor valve?

oldnslo - I checked the movement of the lever and it definitely is equal both directions and has full range of movement.

Next, instead of looking for movement in the hoses, I disconnected the fittings and then engaged the DCV. As soon as I did oil squirted out of the loosened fitting. This tells me oil is being sent to the motor via both hoses depending on the position of the valve.

eric - Thanks for the suggestion. I reversed the hoses at the winch motor and the winch pulled the slack out of the cable when I had the DCV in the normal extend position, and when I put the valve in the normal retract position nothing happened other than hearing a subtle noise coming from the DCV.

I then disconnected both hoses from the motor and hung 200 pounds from the cable and it didn't budge. It appears that the motor only wants to turn in one direction. And to clarify, it is a direct drive from the motor to the winch drum, not a worm drive where the geometry won't let you pull out a cable.

Picture of the restrictor valve attached.

IMG_3931.JPG

To the best of my knowledge the supply enters the right side, the knob at the bottom controls the flow to the hose coming out the left side which goes to the winch valve, the large hose coming out of the top is the continuous return, the hose going into the bottom of the "T" at the top is the intermittent return line from the winch valve. The two hoses with fittings pointed downward at the far right are the supply and return out of the motor.

Do you guys have any other suggestions for me?

Thank you for all the help so far.

BWSwede

To close out this thread.

I found the problem.

I purchased the splitter from a retailer. I also asked to purchase a winch for this splitter. They didn't have one in stock so they ordered one from the manufacturer. The retailer installed the winch. After they installed the winch they reattached the splitter's cover panels. One of the screws they installed was too long and was driven into the side of the winch drum, thereby locking it in place.

Once I backed out the screw, the winch started operating as it should.

Thank you all for your assistance in helping me find the issue.

BWSwede

/ Hydraulic winch won't push out cable #16  
Thanks for reporting the resolution. I'd be curious how the splitter performs and why you went with that model. But maybe that'd be better done in a different thread.

/ Hydraulic winch won't push out cable #17  
   / Hydraulic winch won't push out cable #18  
I just found out that my 6-spool backhoe stack valve is also made by Badestnost of Bulgaria.

Never heard of them until yesterday.
They're a big hydraulic component manufacturer in Bulgaria and sell to a lot of places that are then rebadged. Not very expensive either and good quality. Most of the valves sold by Summit hydraulics, are Badestnost valves rebadged to Summit.

Most of my hydraulic projects uses their valve. My backhoe has 4 spool valve with very minimal leakage even after 1000 hours+ of work.

/ Hydraulic winch won't push out cable #19  
Most of my hydraulic projects uses their valve. My backhoe has 4 spool valve with very minimal leakage even after 1000 hours+ of work.
Interesting.

My backhoe also comes from Bulgaria, so it makes sense. Multiple O-rings between the sections have been leaking for years. About 200h on the hoe, but it is about 15yo.

/ Hydraulic winch won't push out cable #20  
It may be as simple as fouled cable on the drum. Hook cable on a sturdy tree. Back up real slow and easy until you feel resistance. Get out and look for the issue. As to they hydraulic controls I'm clueless. Any powered winch has a way to freewheel. It may be a setting or a notch that fits into cogs on the winch roller/power drive.