Hydraulics won't hold

/ Hydraulics won't hold
Please forgive me because I'm not up on hydraulic terminology. This is pretty new to me.

I raised the outrigger, moving the piston from the rod end of the cylinder to the base end. I tied the outrigger to the tractor so it would not fall down. I disconected the hose from the base end of the cylinder at the valve and placed the hose in a catch bucket. I started the pump and moved the valve to apply fluid to the rod end of the cylinder. When I did this, fluid came out of the disconnected hose going to the base end of the cylinder. I returned the lever to neutral and repeated several times. I bled off a couple of pints, way more than could have been in the cylinder and hose several times over.

Same on both sides.

I still don't have a t or a gage. They are on the list.

/ Hydraulics won't hold #42  
You are looking at two cyl's rebuild kits, or shop repair. , or some new replacements cyl.

If you take them to a shop, they can verify that the cyl are leaking.

Get an estimate from your favorite shop.

/ Hydraulics won't hold
Thanks J.J. I've got a local DitchWitch dealer that does hydraulics and services Terramites. I'll call and get an estimate. From what I've seen so far, I can get new cylinders for about $150. If the cost to repair them gets close to the replacement cost, I'll go repacement.

I did talk to a Gravely buddy that owns two of these things and he said he had the packing material. If I can get them apart, I'd much rather rebuild them myself. Hands on training is the best.

/ Hydraulics won't hold #44  
So I am having similar problem. I'm going to try those tests you guys have been talking about. What was the verdict for your green machine Arcamm?

/ Hydraulics won't hold
I found a local hydraulic shop and bought all new seals and O rings for the cylinders. That solved 98% of the leak down. I have to rebuild the spooler, but it works well enough as is to get me by as is.

/ Hydraulics won't hold #46  
I found a local hydraulic shop and bought all new seals and O rings for the cylinders. That solved 98% of the leak down. I have to rebuild the spooler, but it works well enough as is to get me by as is.

Thank you. Glad your hoe is working better for you.

/ Hydraulics won't hold #47  
When you say similar problem......what do you have that is leaking down.

Big difference between a cylinder EXTENDING when "leaking down" and a cylinder COMPRESSING when leaking down.

/ Hydraulics won't hold #48  
When you say similar problem......what do you have that is leaking down.

Big difference between a cylinder EXTENDING when "leaking down" and a cylinder COMPRESSING when leaking down.

With machine set at high rpm and stablizers down and loader bucket down so all four wheels off the ground:

The left side stabilizer (as you look at back end of machine) is retracting very slowly and the two front cylinders holding bucket down are retracting very very slowly. Also I noticed wet oil residue on shaft ends of bucket cylinders. I'm suspecting the seals and packing etc are in need of replacing. Looking at the paint and rust on all the cylinders I suspect my 1961 machine may have not had its cylinders serviced in a long time. The cylinders only retract until the weight of the machine is back on the ground so suspecting the oil is just equalizing pressure wise in both ends of the cylinders.

/ Hydraulics won't hold #49  
IF the cylinders are "retracting" it is NOT the cylindes unless there is oil leaking OUT of the cylinder.

IF no external oil leaks, Problem is in the valve.