Hydro Static Transmissions ??

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
Do all HST's work the same way? Does the engine speed change as you press the pedal. Or does it work like a geared machine where you set the throttle and go from there.
It would seem necessary for the engine to be able to keep up with transmission's demands or it would feeel real doggy.
My JD rider works from a constant engine speed, as you depresss the pedal it goes forward with no change in engine speed.

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #2  
Last edited:
   / Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #3  
I am pretty sure the e-hydro John Deere also works that way too, but my L3400HST does not vary the engine speed. You must set the hand throttle (there is no foot throttle) to the expected load. While you can dog around at 1000 rpm (usefull when hooking up 3pt) when you are working you will want to be above 1500 for most jobs. The only annoyance is when you stop then the engine is still turning pretty fast and you have to chop the throttle by hand. With the grand L machines this is all automatic. and it will also adjust the swashplate to in essence give lower "gearing" when the load on the system changes. But with the simpler machines like mine is is all about you.

James K0UA

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #4  
Everything you wanted to know about HST+ but were afraid to ask:)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzO_-LCd838]Kubota HST-Plus Transmission - YouTube[/ame]

James K0UA

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #5  
The auto throttle is an option available for most Deere machines with ehydro. I find it to be a good option and use it all the time on my 4520.

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #6  
Do all HST's work the same way? Does the engine speed change as you press the pedal. Or does it work like a geared machine where you set the throttle and go from there.
It would seem necessary for the engine to be able to keep up with transmission's demands or it would feeel real doggy.
My JD rider works from a constant engine speed, as you depresss the pedal it goes forward with no change in engine speed.

The "standard" HST works as you describe. You adjust the engine speed separately from the ground speed. That's one of the benefits to HST. You can go as slow as you want and keep the engine rpm's up as necessary to get the power to the pto.

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #7  
My MF 1531 will work either way

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #8  
My Mahindra has a manual hand lever to set engine RPM (no foot throttle). Speed is then variable using the HST pedal.

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #9  
My Massey 1635 works both ways.

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #10  
Im thinking Mark dosent know what a swash plate is , if he did he would already know how a hydro works.