Hydro Static Transmissions ??

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #12  
Brimstone10x said:
Im thinking Mark dosent know what a swash plate is , if he did he would already know how a hydro works.

I'm trying to figure out your point. The man asked a question to get an answer. Are you making fun of him? Maybe not, but it seems like it. By the way, I don't know what a swatch plate is either.

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #13  
Do all HST's work the same way? Does the engine speed change as you press the pedal. Or does it work like a geared machine where you set the throttle and go from there.
It would seem necessary for the engine to be able to keep up with transmission's demands or it would feeel real doggy.
My JD rider works from a constant engine speed, as you depresss the pedal it goes forward with no change in engine speed.

I have an older HST. 2006 it is. Engine speed is constant and no auto throttle. I just feather the 'go" peddle on the HST. This works extremely well. I am kind of wondering what are the advantages of auto throttle myself.

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #14  
I have an older HST. 2006 it is. Engine speed is constant and no auto throttle. I just feather the 'go" peddle on the HST. This works extremely well. I am kind of wondering what are the advantages of auto throttle myself.

Whistlepig, you know how when you stop the tractor the first thing you do is chop the throttle to get rid of the noise and reduce fuel consumption? well the autothrottle does that for you. And when you step on the hydro pedal, it rev's up and you go.. I just keeps you from having to mess with the hand throttle.

James K0UA

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #15  
I'm trying to figure out your point. The man asked a question to get an answer. Are you making fun of him? Maybe not, but it seems like it. By the way, I don't know what a swatch plate is either.

Maybe this will help a little.. the swash plate is the movable tilting plate the pedal controls and the pistons are engaging.. For you helicopter mechanics you will be familiar with a similar swash plate to control the rotor. I do not have a great understanding of the subject either, but I have the general idea.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQy_rLrMmJQ]Hydraulics_How a hydraulic transmission piston pump works - YouTube[/ame]

James K0UA

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #16  
Everything you wanted to know about HST+ but were afraid to ask:)

Kubota HST-Plus Transmission - YouTube

James K0UA

Huh?. After seeing this video a better title for me would have been: "Everything you wanted to know about HST but were afraid to ask but once you knew, more afraid to own" So this is the kind of tractor digital savvy people like to buy. This would make me nuts.

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #17  
The Kubota HST+ is really nice. Most advanced hydro on the market. I don't know if I'm sold on it, I'm one who likes a little simplicity, but I hear the features are great.

I can say, switching between gear and the 'basic' hydro trannies it makes you stop and think. When I got my first hydro tractor, the 3120 it was a big learning curve. On the gears, when you need more power you press the pedal and you have to depress the pedal on the hydro. I'm still a big fan of the hydros and gears though. Each have their respectful place in the market.

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #18  
Huh?. After seeing this video a better title for me would have been: "Everything you wanted to know about HST but were afraid to ask but once you knew, more afraid to own" So this is the kind of tractor digital savvy people like to buy. This would make me nuts.

Well that is why they make so many different models.. Mine is just a simple hydrostat. Just a pedal you rock forwards and backwards.. No electronics. But I sure would like to try some of those neat features of the HST+. I have never heard one discourging word about HST+.. I think most of the people that have them like them.. Yes I am digital (and IP too!) savvy..:)

James K0UA

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #19  
Kubota's HST Plus isn't that much of an electronic gizmo. There is a mechanical link from the pedal to the injection pump so as you speed up it mechanically increases engine speed, but you can set the low engine speed with the regular engine speed lever (I avoid calling it a throttle because a diesel doesn't really have a throttle like a carburetor) so when you stop the engine speed doesn't drop too low. On mine if I don't set it to about 2000 rpm minimum when doing loader wrk the loader gets real sluggish when you stop to dump and the engine slows to low idle. The best feature for me is the 2 speed hydro motor that shifts automatically to a steeper swash plate angle when the engine pulls down. It is like an automatic shift down but it also gives the advantage of higher hydraulic efficiency at the steeper swashplate angle. In a tough pull mine will pull better in 2nd gear low range than in first gear high range. I have a graph of the motor and it really loses efficiency at flat swashplate angle high hydro pressure.

/ Hydro Static Transmissions ?? #20  
You are here with us, comparing helicopters to kubota trannys..............maybe, just maybe............you is nuts:shocked::shocked::laughing::laughing:

But maybe ifn' you trade in that JD750 for the 'Bota............you can fly over and visit some folks:)

EDIT: This was too easy............I couldn't resist. Please forgive me.