I got a dump truck! How does it work?

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work?
Is there any reason that you can't (won't) ask the owner??
I got it sorted out. I had just gotten it and was heading out for vacation with the family. I didn't want to call late and i figured this would be fun for the forum.

Owner is sending a mechanic to diagnose the issue of the bed only raising part way. I hope it's just low on fluid. But i wont be home until late tomorrow so i can't check.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #22  
I haven't seen one of those for years. The box on the floor is a control valve for a hydraulic spreader control. The spreader would slide into the dump body and connect through the valve body to a hydraulic pump mounted on the engine. The knobs control an auger belt that feeds material to a spinner at the rear. Spinner speed controls the throw of the material. The lever turns it on and off, down was on. There was an accessory box that wired up to a speed sensor and controlled the material feed according to vehicle speed. Pretty advanced for the day. You may still find some hydraulic lines running along the truck frame out to the back. We had a few of these contracted to the state to spread sand and salt on icy winter roads. During the summer they could be used to spread lime or fertilizer on farm fields. The 2 knobs under the dash would be for the dump body, one engages the PTO mounted on the side of the transmission and the other connects to a hydraulic valve to raise and lower the dump body. Like I said, that was 30+ years since I built and operated these.
The two knobs on the dash are the ones you want. The one on the floor is spreader control valve for a sander. The one knob that say PTO is your power take off .Push in the clutch ,pull it out to engage the transmission to pto MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN NEUTRAL!! The other knob should raise and lower the dump box.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #23  
Usually if not always you need a special Air Brake License to operate that vehicle on public highways.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #24  
Probably the same reason you and several others didn't read the thread before responding and see that he already figured it out last week and on page one no less. :ROFLMAO:

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #25  
That was my first thought when I started to read this. The most logical solution 99% of the time. I am glad that was answered in a later post.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #26  
You can rent new dump trailers that will lay down driveway rock.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #27  
What are you hauling?
Spreading or dumping?
Private property or open road?
Watch some Youtube videos
Watch out for power lines
Last comment about the power lines - seriously true. Last week a driver of a dump truck got into a powerline 7 miles from here. Truck's trailer caught on fire and burned up . He's alive but will need skin grafts and in hospital for a month they say. If it happens , don't touch ground and vehicle at the same time as you exit. just jump out avoiding wires of course. Dump truck driver airlifted to UMMC with severe burns after hitting power line

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #28  
what is posted is good information, My first question is whoever you bought this from, did they not know how to operate the dump?

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #29  
Usually if not always you need a special Air Brake License to operate that vehicle on public highways.
Not really true blue hairs and munchkins drive All Over in pusher RV's with air brakes can barely see over steering wheel an the cars all have missing mirrors and ripples down both sides with white paint.
True about dump altho to truly understand drivers license req. GVW of dump needed.
I remember cdl cl A&B(3, 2 [bus] & 1)
All need air endorsements because of vehicle weights.
So I guess my point is if Ur worried about on road driving Research Ur states require.
As for ½ way dumping, could be low fluid, TOO MUCH weight or something in the way of pivot point.