I got this stupid idea...

/ I got this stupid idea... #51  
Re: I got this stupid idea...(Not cost effective?)

<font color="blue">… I have regretted buying the 5' RFM with my B2910...Should have got a 6 footer.

Then, I sort of like MMMs for my short weeds, as right now we probably only have an acre of grass to cut, with a number of obstructions. I will have more as I clear off the 2 acres back behind the pond, after I get my shed finished….</font>

Hi Bill,

Maybe I missed a post, but why did ya want to buy the BX, when ya already have a larger and more capable unit…? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If I understand correctly, you’re mainly going to use it for mowing purposes… and if that’s true… why would ya spend $10K++, when a lesser $1-2k lawn mower would accomplish the same objective…?

Why couldn’t you just buy a riding lawn mower ($1-2k, with a 48” deck), and the thousands of dollars you’d save… apply that money over the future years to buy those unique implements you can use on your larger unit… and have the best of all worlds…?

Just wondering…? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(it would be far less expensive to trade in your “3 hour used-new 60” deck” for a new 72” deck… and if worse comes to worse, ya can buy a KK 6’ finish mower new for ~ $999-1099.)

/ I got this stupid idea...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Why couldn’t you just buy a riding lawn mower ($1-2k, with a 48” deck), )</font>

Just to play devils advocate for a minute... I had a Craftsman 12 Hp lawn tractor ($1000). It was crap. Then I got a Wheel Horse 18 HP($6000). It was much better. This year I got the BX2200 and it is quite superior to the Wheel Horse.

I could never go back to either one of my previous machines even if it was just to mow lawn, so that suggestion just wouldn't work for me.

Of course, Henro might not think much of the BX compared to his current B2910, either! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue"> Maybe I missed a post, but why did ya want to buy the BX, when ya already have a larger and more capable unit…? </font>

John,

Appreciate your response to my question. I am going to ask the dealer how much for the 72 inch MMM for the 2910, if I would trade the RFM in on it. But I don't have a large expanse of grass to cut, and the larger tractor does dig into the soil when it is wet...but I will get that number and see what it looks like.

But, I am thinking that should I like to make my short weeds look nicer, a bx with turf tires and no additional weight might be better. And I could keep it as a dedicated mower/utility trailer puller or something like that, and it would be ready to go and I would not have to mess with installing and removing the MMM on the larger tractor each time I wanted to mow.

Additionally, as I mentioned above somewhere, I think, wear and tear would be spread over two tractors over the rest of my lifetime.

<font color="blue"> If I understand correctly, you’re mainly going to use it for mowing purposes… and if that’s true… why would ya spend $10K++, when a lesser $1-2k lawn mower would accomplish the same objective…?</font>

I am using one right now. It is a 20 HP MTD with a 46" deck. It is a piece of sugar, to use the TBN term. The reason I am using it is because I have a pile of top soil in the middle of one part of my grass, and that adds the final obstical that makes the use of a RFM more trouble that it is worth...I think, but I might be wrong here.

I did like the cut of the rfm when I used it last year...but right now I have too many things to mow around and it is not the most useful for cutting close to a fence line or around trees and dirt piles. Perhaps I'm just not talented enough? It was using that garden tractor that gave me the idea that a BX would be wonderful for my needs.

<font color="blue"> Why couldn’t you just buy a riding lawn mower ($1-2k, with a 48” deck), and the thousands of dollars you’d save… apply that money over the future years to buy those unique implements you can use on your larger unit… and have the best of all worlds…? </font>

I think I realized that having a bx and b2910 would be the best of both worlds! Those little lawn/garden so-called tractors are so inferior and short lived. The one I have cost something like $2000 about five years ago. There is no quality or substance there.

In the end, I don't think the purchase of a bx, should it happen, would affect future purchases of implements I might need for the larger tractor.

Oh, by the way, the reason I regret the 60 inch rfm, is not because I need a wider cut to get the job done faster, but rather because it does not stick out enough on the sides to let me easily cut close to things, like a fence or the pond edge. Especially where the pond curves and the front wheels follow the edge around, and the rfm swings away from the edge, because the rfm on the back does the opposite of what the front of the tractor is doing.

Please do point out any flaws in my logic! I REALLY appreciate the help you guys are giving me in this thought process.

rbarker,

I am kind of thinking along the lines you outlined...

/ I got this stupid idea... #55  

If you don't buy it, will you regret not having it?

Get the BX and have fun. Two tractors are better than one!

Just don't let your neighbors or family know you have an extra tractor.

Last time I visited my dealer, maybe a month ago, he had a line up of bxs probably ten long, by the road and some other places. I got a metal shipping palet from him [the only one there, for welding practice] at the time...today he had only one bx1500 left and little else that I remembered seeing last time.

He also had a pile of metal shipping palets, six or so, that bigger tractors come on. Good sign for his business; bad sign for me getting a great price on a bx... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Saw a new L3830 with loader that had just been put together. That is some big tractor, compared to a B2910!

Everytime I'm in the neighborhood, I stop in to say hello and bs for a few minutes, so they know me and I know them...I layed the cards on the table for the kid to understand where I am coming from.

He called the boss, and the boss said $1,200 trade in for my RFM, towards either a bx or a MMM for my B2910. They don't care which.

My dealer has been selling the bx2200/60" mmm for $10,375. Looks like that is thier price firm. The kid told me he can't go lower on orders from the boss. I went to another Kubota dealer and was told there that they were selling the bx2200 with MMM for $10,500. Take it or leave it, and it would be a while before they get more in.

This zero percent financing must be a winner for Kubota. My dealer said he is well ahead of where he was at this time last year...

I was thinking that the bx2200/MMM should come in at about $9,950. Guess it is a seller's market around here though.

I will sleep on it and make a decision in the morning.

Oh, the MMM price I was quoted for the 72 inch MMM to go under the B2910 was $2,750.

So I give up the RFM and pay either $1,550 for a 72" MMM [which will cut about 9 inches beyond my rear tires] or $9,175 for the BX2200 with 60" MMM [ that will cut about 7.5 inches beyond the rear tires].

So it will cost me an additional $7,625, if I want to get a 60" MMM with a tractor attached to it, over a MMM by itself. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well...I put the ball in Kubota's court. Faxed the application for the zero percent financing to the dealer this morning.

If they approve it...no reason why they should not...I will buy the bx2200 with 60 inch MMM.

A different dealer quoted $1,175 for the Woods BB60CW that I want to buy, for the B2810. That is a 60 inch standard duty rotary cutter with slip clutch and chain guards. My dealer quoted $1,250 for the same thing. I told my dealer that he has the fist shot at selling me that rotary cutter at that price, otherwise I will buy it from the other dealer. His call...

We'll see what happens....

/ I got this stupid idea... #58  

I assume Turner was the 'other' dealer. Be ready to get it yourself or it'll be snowing before he gets it to you!

Who's 'your' dealer? Just curious.

- Gerald

Hey,

I know I should be working on the shed...or something else...but the weather is so nice and the roof is on...and...and...

So I pass by the door into the house from the basement, and it opens and the wife hands me the phone. Kubota credit approves the zero percent financing.

Dealer agrees to match the lower price on the brush hog for the b2910...adding a block heater and heavy duty alternator increased the BX price by $125. For a total of $10,500 plus the brush hog price.

Looks like it is a done deal. May take a couple weeks though as he does not have a bx2200 in stock. I don't care anyway as I have the B2910...

Guess I'm not completely nuts as at the moment I can't believe I am doing this!

BUT I KNOW IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!

Maybe I am nuts and just foolin' myself!

Life is good in Pgh today... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ I got this stupid idea... #60  

Congratulations!