I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit?

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #11  
Well to be on contrarian, I always get a permit--when required.

I can understand keeping the government out of my business, I have also seen too many people have problems with unpermitted work.Not only I have seen people have problems with the government, but also with insurance companies (refusing to pay for dammage to unpermitted improvements) and when selling the property, home inspectors or mortage companies reaising questions about improvements.

That being said, I do not have much of an issue with the inspectors/permiting process in my area. If I lived somewhere else, I might choose to take the risk.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #12  
In our municipality, one is required to obtain a permit to install a swimming pool... any pool that is 'capable of' having 2 ft. or more water.
The permit fee alone is $200. A 4 ft. fence with gate is required to surround the pool area.
Since our 2 grandsons (5 and 8) are here a lot, we put up a 16' X 48" INTEX pool (above ground) that we were given free. Needless to say, I did not go thru the permit process. No one goes in the pool unless we are out there, and when we are not home, the ladder goes in the garage and the solar cover goes on the pool. I realize this is a huge safety concern for some, and there is nothing more tragic than having someone drown in a pool.
But, when the law tries to compensate for the lack of common sense, the law often goes astray, IMHO. It is interesting to note that my neighbour about 200 yards away has 2 large and deep ponds in his beautifully manicured front yard. No permits or fences required. It seems to me a wayward child is much more likely to fall into these ponds than climb up over the 48" sides of my pool.
A child who can not swim well should not be allowed near any body of water without adult supervision, an adult capable of exercising common sense.

Pete

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #13  
Our county want's every penny that they can get out of you. A few years ago, I wanted to put up a 24x36 pole shop power only and no plumbing. County permit was over 2700 bucks, plus septic inspection. I said screw this, and bought a used 14x66 mobile office building like you see on job sites, cost less to buy and have delivered than just the permits. Yes the wheels and tounge are still on, so it is portable, and not taxed. It works good for me, as it has central heat, and air. Just built a 6g cord out to it with plugs on both ends.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #14  
Don't get me started!! :mad: I dealt with inspection offices for 36 years on at least a weekly basis sometimes on a daily basis. Most all the inspectors were well informed and regular folks but for some reason this didn't seep into the inspection office itself. We always had scheduling problems that would cost money waiting on someone. They acting as if they were King of the empire and this wasn't just my local inspection office but most all I've dealt with?? Where do they get this people??

I told you not to get me started.

And my answer is . . . . . . . . I stay as far away as I can from the inspection office and I don't miss any of them. Happy to be retired.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #15  
Where do they get this people??

Honestly, "this people" probably see some really crappy contractors, they remember all the problems too, so no wonder they get fed up. But most of them are just pencil pushers anyways.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #16  
Oh yea you know they see lots of crappy work. It is the pencil pushers in the offices I'm talking about and not the inspectors on the job.

How do like my spelling? "This people" :eek: Even spell check wouldn't have caught that. I don't use it anyway.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #17  
After reading this I am glad to live where I do. You can build whatever you feel like building - no permits needed. What you do on your own land is completely up to you.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #18  
jshwhite said:
After reading this I am glad to live where I do. You can build whatever you feel like building - no permits needed. What you do on your own land is completely up to you.

Yeah thats fine until you buy a new property and you start to uncover all the hidden problems.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #19  
Papers? We don't need no stinkin' papers!

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #20  
yelbike said:
Yeah thats fine until you buy a new property and you start to uncover all the hidden problems.

Very good point and true. Personally though, I think I'd rather take my chances with that than have to deal with permits, fees, etc. :)