I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit?

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #21  
I too live in the land of the free and permits are seldom required for residential construction. The only permits that I have ever dealt with were for electrical service panels, and that was required by the utility, not the municipality, county or state government. When I built my house, there were no permits or inspections required other than for the electrical. As someone else mentioned, we are free to do any type of plumbing or electrical work for ourselves, but can't (legally) do it for others.

I think technically we are supposed to get plumbing permits for repairs/expansions/etc., but if I don't have to, I won't get a single permit.

I have worked with some church's that have done some expansions and because we are commercial (relatively speaking) structures, we have gone through process for state building permits and inspections. It is a cumbersome and time consuming process, but I will have to say that it was not altogether unpleasant or too expensive (about $200 for the plan review) and the inspector (same guy each time) was always good to work with.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #22  
I too live in the land of the free and permits are seldom required for residential construction. The only permits that I have ever dealt with were for electrical service panels, and that was required by the utility, not the municipality, county or state government. When I built my house, there were no permits or inspections required other than for the electrical. As someone else mentioned, we are free to do any type of plumbing or electrical work for ourselves, but can't (legally) do it for others.

Same thing where I live...no permits required for anything except septic. Even electrical...one of the first things I did when I bought my house was put in a new service entrance, replacing the 1930s-vintage one...no problems from the utility. Once a year the town sends a survey asking you if you made any improvements to the property in the last 12 months, strictly honor system.

I will 'fess up (I think the statute of limitations has expired anyway) that I kind of "forgot" to get permits where I lived before I moved here. Didn't know I needed them. :D

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #23  
Where I live, the require a permit for EVERYTHING...Even to paint the inside of your house or to replace a window. Your grass can't be over 12" tall either...

My uncle was putting on a new roof without getting a permit and they threw him in jail!!!

It's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #24  
Have a family friend that got busted putting a new roof on. Knew they needed a permit. They could have got the $200 permit. They knew about it, and had been warned by other friends.

Sure enough, an inspector came down the road, on the way to a nearby honme to do a scheduled inspection. Saw the roof work, but no permit posted. Instead of just a $200 permit, they wound up with over $1000 in fines. plus having to now go and get a permit.

in some cases, it is just county/city revenue, especially in places where you need a permit even just to sneeze. There are construction things though, that present a life/health hazard, that are worthy of permits. It also covers your tail, if a contractor is doing the work; at least you know they did it right, and have some recourse if they did not.

Where I live, the require a permit for EVERYTHING...Even to paint the inside of your house or to replace a window. Your grass can't be over 12" tall either...

My uncle was putting on a new roof without getting a permit and they threw him in jail!!!

It's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #25  
in some areas there are ways to get around permitting. in one north florida county on the coast, any bldg or addition under 800sf doesn't need a permit. standard practice is to build an 800sf house.. then add on to it every 6m. I know MANY people who have done this.

A guy i worked with in the carolinas lived in an area that required no permitting... he built his own cabin.. well spring box, etc.. etc. power co hooke d up to a pole with a disconnect on it.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #26  
One thing to consider in addition to the above comments. If a gummit permit is required, but not obtained, and there is a loss by fire, flood, hail, etc., the insurance company may try to use the failure to get a permit to weasel out of paying. You won't hear a peep out of the insurance company as long as the money is flowing from you to them. But make a claim and they will hustle to find a reason to say the loss is not covered.

Just sayin'.

Now get ready for all the push-back from the insurance guys telling you how wrong I am and how they are just bustin out at the seams to give away their money.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #27  
Just a tip to any of you that are fortunate to live in a county with no zoning restrictions or inspections....years ago when we bought our farm...there were no restrictions...I deeply regret that I did not buy every foreclosed and repossessed double wide mobile home I could....there were and are plenty...and this is a rental market for sure...Now in our county it is not possible but had I done it years ago I would be grand fathered in with 50 or more trailers bringing in rent.....think about it...for any tract you have no other use for...while you can...Keep in mind though the rental business is not hands off....it takes a lot of work....

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #28  
I live in the county and as far as I know permits are only required for new electrical service (required by the electric provider) and for septic system installation.
The only inspectors that I know of are for septic.
Inside the city limits it's a different story. permits for just about everything. I understand the reason for some, safety, fire code, electrical, handicap access, etc.
but say painting the house or new windows, I think that's just another way to tax folks.
I've heard of some jurisdictions that go as far as to say how big a shop or barn can be in relation to the home, it's somewhat based on acreage, but dang. That's just as bad as homeowner association restrictions.
As far as what I do.....I ain't saying.
limbo.jpg

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #29  
I don't want any problems later if I have to sell, but what about, say, irrigation/sprinkler systems where technically you are supposed to get a permit? How many of you would get permits for that?

I'm currently building a barn and I carefully got it to be listed as a agricultural bldg so I didn't have to get a construction permit and inspections. Saved $$$ thousands, but still paid about $250 in fees. Technically I'm supposed to get power/plumbing permits, but I'm not going to get permits to have a water trough for the goats in my barn, or a couple of fluorescent light bulbs!

Also, what about a grey water irrigation system. Oregon doesn't allow for that. There are proposals in legislature but nothing finalized yet. I figure what does it matter if I'm on 320 acres and I pour shower/sink water out on the field the goats and burro are in?

They just want your money...

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #30  
i know on my A-1 farm property I could have filled out a free waver and had a 2" ag/irrigation well put in, and a small 5g pressure tank and 20a electrical service... however I opted to go ahead and get it permitted and put in a 4" well and run 200a electric service to the property. I signed on the permit as my own plumber, etc.. well people put it in. for prop taxes, it will be classified as ag, except when I later move there and put a residence on it.. since it was permitted and inspected goin gin, I can change it over to residential with no issues. woul have had big problems doing it the other way and would have essentially paid for it twice as I hear our county gives you a hard time grandfathering non permitted wells for residential water service.

soundguy