Idiot light

/ Idiot light #11  
My first post. My first kubota.
I may have bought a pig in a poke buying this B7100 . I needed a small tractor but bigger than my Gravelys. The price was right $2500 and 750 hrs. it was very clean for its age no leaks etc. and I knew If I didn't buy it in the morning it would it would be gone in the afternoon. well it purrs like God intended good little tractors to, but after awhile, say 15 minutes of low idle the low oil pressure light came on. So I increased the rpm a little and the light went off.
So I blithely went about my business playing with my new toy when the pesky thing came on again I increased the rpm it came on again. Well I don't know much about tractors but I know about idiot lights so brought it back to the barn. And started calling any one that could help and joined this forum.
Some people say its the sending part thats gone, other say it's the oil pump.
Hopefully with only 750 hrs it's not the pump. I didn't have the oil and filter changed because I was told that it had just been done 20 hrs ago.
There is plenty of oil, black as tar, also normal in diesels I'm told. I have a friend coming with an oil pressure gauge and will change the oil and filter.

Any other tips or suggestions are welcome.

MLD

I'm not a big fan of idiot lights as a rule.
But on my 1964 MF-135 diesel, which has an oil pressure gauge, I added an idiot light.
Actually it's the reverse of an idiot light. It's a 1" dia 12V high intensity green LED panel light that's wired into the oil pressure switch (aka sender unit). The LED is ON if I have good oil pressure and if the oil pressure switch is functioning properly. Otherwise the LED is OFF. I find that this bright green indicator gets my attention better than a gauge does when I'm busy tractoring.

/ Idiot light #12  
If you know the pipe thread a tee can be installed putting the sender on one side and a oil guage on the other
I did this on all my rods years ago
Really takes the guess work out of the loop
DGS

/ Idiot light #13  
If you know the pipe thread a tee can be installed putting the sender on one side and a oil guage on the other
DGS

What I did on mine. German, Japanese, Chinese, US diesel engines all seem to be 1/8" pipe thread for these.

/ Idiot light
Well gentlemen, and any ladies, the idiot light saga continues. I'm sure you all would have had quite a chuckle watching my buddy and I trying to get at this damnable sending unit. Being an illustrator and cartoonist I might be posting some images for your enjoyment.

This little B7100 has some tight quarters and of course we didn't have a deep enough metric socket and even if we could have cajoled it out a millimeter at a time with some grips, the gauge my buddy picked up seemed to be too big for the space. He did buy screw fittings for it to extend it from the block but we were at a loss as to size and thought it better to wait for the new sending unit.

We also were at a loss trying to order the part online without human assistance. Is there another name other than oil pressure sending unit for this part?

And... O Boy there is more.. discovered that the engine is missing one of the head bolts. " thats not good says my buddy" It does look like it's been missing some time but getting a new one is on my list.

Any suggestions to this hapless duo welcome.

MLD

/ Idiot light #15  
discovered that the engine is missing one of the head bolts. " thats not good says my buddy" It does look like it's been missing some time but getting a new one is on my list.

MLD

That's pretty odd..... can you get some light on it (for picture clarity) and take some pictures, including a closeup.

/ Idiot light #16  
We also were at a loss trying to order the part online without human assistance. Is there another name other than oil pressure sending unit for this part?

MLD

You might be lucky enough to talk to a human that could help. In my case, I rang my local Kubota dealer and the guy I spoke to was unbelievably helpful. He almost knew the part number for the sender off the top of his head. Even offered to do a free service on my B7100 if I brought it up to him...(haven't taken him up on that yet)
I do like Main dealers from time to time....

I suppose you could call it the oil pressure switch?

Try ringing your Local Kubota dealer.

Originally Posted by DGS
DGS

I think I'm going to do that... good idea...

/ Idiot light #17  
I find that this bright green indicator gets my attention better than a Gage does when I'm busy tractoring.

Those "Idiot Lights" do serve a purpose. They catch your eye much faster than a Gage will.:D

/ Idiot light
Good morning gentlemen.

Irwin: To post stuff I need a url # but I could send you an email jpg if you like.

MLD

/ Idiot light #19  
Good morning gentlemen.

Irwin: To post stuff I need a url # but I could send you an email jpg if you like.

MLD

OR you could open an account on Photobucket and use the url from there? I'd like to see your 7100 too MLD...

/ Idiot light #20  
Good morning gentlemen.

MLD

TBN allows you to upload photos and then link back to them. Click the PHOTOS tab just under the site title at the top of any page. 500Kb file size limit.

You can also upload files directly to a posting. Click the "Go Advanced" button when editing a post, then at the bottom of the screen click the "Manage Attachments" button.