Idiot light

/ Idiot light #31  
Sorry to hear about your very frustrating problem which i have had as well. I too have a B7100 in most likely the same vintage. Bought it used from a dealer 4 years ago. I noticed pretty fast that the oil light was not coming on when it should be when hitting the glow plugs to start etc. Well it ran just as smooth as can be even with it's age and the high hours on it. Of cource I had to fix it, needed to know what was happening with the oil pressure. I found out the light bulb was blown out so I replaced it ( lots of corrosion by the way I would check that as well) and guess what, it stayed on all the time!!! now I'm getting scared I was told about the cam shaft plug as well ( it was a press fit plug that would fall out and the oil would just run back down into the pan, you would not see any leaks on the outside of the engine. They tell me they used to put the plug back in an tack weld it in place. Not an easy job but doable) anyway, I did not panic and did the process of elimination thing. I talked with the service guy from the dealer which knew about that cam problem and he told me there is no way I could have bad oil pressure and not hear it. If it sounds that good than it's probably the sending unit. So I changed it out, kept my fingers crossed, prayed and then started it up.............no light..... fixed!! Now if yours sounds that good and the lights not coming on anymore except at low idle I'd change out the oil and filter ( I prefer Shell Rottella synthetic oil from Tractor supply. You would not believe how quite it sounds with this stuff) and then take that tee off and put the sending unit right on the engine where it was meant to be and see what happens then. I would not hesitate to take it to a dealer if that light keeps coming on after that.
By the way, that little tractor has the heart of a lion. You will lose traction before you lose power in low gear. The things i have done with mine still amaze me..........I hope yours works out as well for you............Good luck, Scott
Good luck

/ Idiot light #32  
Not an 'I told you so'... but this is why I like to go exercise a machine and drive it in all ranges and gears, and if possible.. do some work with it before i buy it.. unless it is from a previously trusted seller. A seller that is squeamish about letting you do basic workouts on a machine are a red flag to me.

And yes.. I've heard of 60w or gear oil put in to get some oil pressure.. lots of oild tricks.. sawdust in transfer cases to quiet them down.. etc.. etc..

soundguy

I'm the idiot not the light.

We changed the sending unit and put on a meter making a "T" slick as a whistle. looked like a pro had done it. Started it up and got no pressure reading on the gauge.

Messed with it some more bleeding out the air from the new fittings, tried it again and got nothing on the meter.

Still the idiot light is not coming on and its purring like a kitten no smoke no banging and.... no pressure on the gauge.

Finally my buddy say's put it in low idle I'm going to back off the meter till it
bleeds oil. It did leak some, but very little.

We shut it down he took the meter ( OFF ) completely and just put his finger covering the hole and started it up, he could almost hold it back. That's low pressure all right.

I've read somewhere that the light should come on at 7 pounds. The light did not come on once except at almost dead idle as it should, and it started and ran smooth, smooth, smooth, as can be.

At really high revs the meter ticked just a smidge so the meter works.

Kubota Sam wrote about the cam shaft plug that may come out and will not allow pressure to build. If this plug is off where is the oil going. There are no leaks on this very clean machine.

Why no Idiot light for 15 plus minutes when it does comes on at dead idle?

Did the person selling me this, and telling me more than once there's nothing wrong with this machine, and refusing my request to do an oil change because he had just done it 20 hours ago, put some super thick oil in this so no light comes on for 15 to 30 minutes? Just enough to do a test drive around the parking lot.

I'm getting another friend to do a gauge test then bringing it to a dealer to see what's really wrong with it.

"The Idiot"

/ Idiot light #33  
and then take that tee off and put the sending unit right on the engine where it was meant to be Good luck

Pressure is pressure... there is no 'flow' in the sender.. so once any air voids are removed in the 'T' line to the gauge.. both the sender and the gauge should 'see' the same pressure.

soundguy

/ Idiot light #34  

The idiot light should come on when the key is on and the engine is not running. Sounds like she does have low oil pressure with the finger in the dike thing. :D

/ Idiot light
OK! I bought it, Private sale, buyer beware.

But is there an argument here for some sort of redress. I did not buy this tractor in a back yard, or on Ebay, or at an equipment auction held in a farm field.

I saw an ad it read "Kubota 7100 $2500. 740 original hrs. always garaged and dealer maintained. four wheel drive standard shift. call so and so and a cell#" included where two pictures of a clean machine.

When I called the address given was a Kubota dealer, a private sale by the manager of the dealership. The dealership I assume was maintaining the tractor. When I arrived the tractor was in the lot with other new and used Kubotas. We ran it around the kubota lot, we used the kubota office to make our deal. I asked repeatedly is there anything wrong with the tractor and always got the same "Nothing" answer and he wouldn't change the oil because it was not needed.

There are more than one dealership in this chain if I brought the tractor to have it checked out at one of those and they told me of some "OILED TRICK" they found what then.

Ideally I want it fixed properly at reasonable price, or to know for sure if it just a parts tractor.

Idiot

/ Idiot light #36  
Most new auto dealerships keep their best trade-ins to sell on their used car lot and auction off the dogs for less than they could sell them for to avoid the reputation they would get from selling dogs.

It looks like that Kubota dealer is trying to make more money off his dogs by selling them at a "private sale".

If it was sold as you described I bet a lawyer could punch holes in his so-called "private sale" and use the lemon law for a refund but then, lawyers are expensive too.

Maybe the dealer owner is not aware of how his manager conducts business and would like the info.

The dealer should be made aware of the fact that he sure won't get any references on TBN.:mad:

/ Idiot light #37  
Just one question, with the new sending unit in place have you run the tractor (worked it) long enough to know if the light still comes on or not?

MTD wrote:
We changed the sending unit ~snip~
Still the idiot light is not coming on and its purring like a kitten no smoke no banging and.... no pressure on the gauge.
~snip~
I've read somewhere that the light should come on at 7 pounds. The light did not come on once except at almost dead idle as it should, and it started and ran smooth, smooth, smooth, as can be. ~snip~

/ Idiot light #39  
Most new auto dealerships keep their best trade-ins to sell on their used car lot and auction off the dogs for less than they could sell them for to avoid the reputation they would get from selling dogs.

For cars these are usually low miles and few years in age. Sound liek this one is both but tractors are a little different.
If it was sold as you described I bet a lawyer could punch holes in his so-called "private sale" and use the lemon law for a refund but then, lawyers are expensive too.

In Texas anyway the lemon law is only on new stuff I think. On used cars it says AS IS in large letters. In small print I think it says unless noted.

Anytine you are buying used...buyer be ware.

/ Idiot light
Gentlemen thanks for your responses and advice.

Irwin:
To answer your question, no, we did not wait for the light to come on. When we took off the gauge we had a direct line to the engine and my buddy who knows about such things said shut it down because the light pressure from his finger would almost stop the flow of oil.

Tallyho8:
This maybe unbelievable but when you referred to this: pain in the ***, nothin' but problems, haven't even used it yet kubota I had a twinge of resentment at the term "dog" that you used to describe my tractor. I'm an Idiot and a sap.
The second part of your reply is right on the button and my thoughts exactly, so stay tuned for more updates probably in a week or so.

I''m not used to being lied to. I run my own business honestly to the best of my abilities and give the best bang for the buck I can. I make my deadlines and usually will underestimate my time and always give a break to my clients if they ask. I've never padded a bill in my life. Why should a car or a tractor dealer get a wink and a nod as if half truths and outright lies are just part of the game.

Anyone interested in the type of work I do go to my online portfolio at Welcome

I may be a tractor idiot, but I'm an angry tractor idiot.

Thank you for your patience.

MLD