If buying new what would You Buy

/ If buying new what would You Buy
Just to get back to original post. I have 2 tractors (Kubota BX 2200 and Kioti 45 SE ) Love them both they are great machines. I also have a golf cart that we use with our Toy Hauler 5th wheel RV.
I have a dream in 2 years when my daughter goes to college. Wife and I could put a RTV in camper and ride some of these RTV trails across the country. Daughter and I ride dirt bikes also but not wife.
I need a multipurpose RTV. One that can do trails but can also do some light work around the 23 acre property we own and plan to retire to.
Any input on width requirements on some of these Federal Owned land ? Or any other thoughts.
I think the ability to unlock rear differential is a huge issue as far as a all around RTV.
Thanks
Scott

/ If buying new what would You Buy #52  
I own a tractor, two four wheelers, an EZ Go electric golf cart?and now a Honda Pioneer 700-4. We use all our equipment on our land. Lots of it for working and then for playing. The golf cart is great for hunting and silently stalking across the property?.but it has a rough ride on a rough trail and it is not going to go thru deep water or mud.

The new Honda Pioneer rides really nice and can do all the utility work we are looking for: drag, seeder, fertilizer, firewood, tool hauler, sprayer, etc. And when the work is done it performs admirably when trial riding. AND the rear bed converts to haul one or two extra passengers - up to FOUR ADULTS - comfortably. Still?.it fits the weight, size, and engine requirements to ride the MN trail system?.and can be hauled on a 5x10' trailer. Won't hi-center like most of the other 4 passenger UTV's either. Why? Short Wheel Base. Read about 'em before you buy. Nice machine for the stated purpose?IMO.

One thing I do wish my Honda Pioneer had tho?is an unlocking rear differential. I can see if you ride across your lawn very much?.your gonna wish for the unlocking rear. I can get along with what I have on my hunting land?but I do wish it had the unlocking rear. I think that is Polaris territory (?). I'm told Honda will have some new models coming?.so who knows?

/ If buying new what would You Buy #53  
The funny thing is around here I use to see lots of full cab RTVs on road work construction sites. Not a one of them has anything more than 100lbs in the bed. Occasionally they will be pulling a light tower but not much else. Now they are moving away from them. I'm now seeing Mules. My guess is the cost is what's driving the switch.

/ If buying new what would You Buy #55  
Just pull the lever and instant reclining seats.:D meant to quote Plykins post #48.
rear seat 14.jpg
Yep, they would definitely recline! :laughing:

/ If buying new what would You Buy #57  
Just pull the lever and instant reclining seats.:D meant to quote Plykins post #48.

Actually …..this is pretty much what you have in a Honda. Just pull the lever and the seats fold down into the floor for use as a dump bed. Pop-up when needed. Maybe a tad safer than those pictured too…..with roll cage and 3 point seat belts. ;)

/ If buying new what would You Buy #58  
So you are telling me and the orginal OP a ranger,honda,JD, will haul just as much as the Kubota RTV 900 & 1100?Post your specs?

Don't know what he was telling you but, yeah, that's correct.

RTV 900XT GP @ $12,845
Weight: 1874 lbs :eek:
Payload: 1697 lbs overall
Cargo Bed: 1102 lbs
Towing: 1300 lbs
Ground Clearance: 8.3"/7.5" :ashamed:

Ranger 900 @ $13,199
Weight: 1325 lbs
Payload: 1500 lbs overall
Cargo Bed: 1000 lbs
Towing: 2000 lbs
Ground Clearance: 12"

So, yeah, the Ranger is as good or better at work and is still a fantastic trail machine.

In any case, as others have said, the OP should try out the options available to him and make a decision based on his needs and likes.

/ If buying new what would You Buy #59  
When I shopped (a year ago), the goal was to have a machine that did both work and play reasonably well. In choosing the Gator 825i with power steering we accomplished that. It is a great work machine with easy "slide-in, slide-out" seating without doors or webbing (it has seat belts of course) so you can drive a fenceline and hop out as it rolls to a stop and do your fence adjustment and slide back in and on the way again. And it hauls well, with a 4x4 box with hydraulic dump rated at 1000 lbs. I dont think the rear shocks will carry 1000 pounds, but spring upgrades are easy if I do ever start to push the capacity. For play, it rides like a dream (optional Fox shocks) and goes 44 top speed, which is fast enough for this type of vehicle, in my opinion. When I ride sport ATV, I can go 75 if I want to, but when on the public roadway with other people's lives in my hands and seriously outmatched by the weight of cars and trucks on the road I don't mind keeping the speed at 35 all day.
One thing I wish I had bought right away is the glass windshield. We bought the half-plastic one, and its OK but scratched a bit already, and for winter a glass full windshield would be nice. We did buy a simple cloth top for it and that is all it needs.
the 2013 model 825i now has more fuel for more range. Ours has 5.5 gal, the new one has 7.5 gallons. They get about 21 mpg cruising around.
IF YOU PLAN on tracks, get power steering. You will enjoy it a lot more that way. Camoplast has a nice UTV trackset called T4S that is rated for all season use. I don't plan on using mine in summer, only in snow. It is a fantastic experience to cruise quietly thru the woods in deep snow conditions and follow trails that you know from summer. I also pull a groomer of my own design (version 5) to gradually pack and densify the trails for their use by sport ATVs and snowmobiles.
Whatever you choose, get the option of running in open (unlocked) rear differential mode. Otherwise the simplest most carefull turn-around on the gravel driveway roosts up a big rut, and similar on the lawn. Also, if the rear diff can be run open (unlocked) the machine will turn sharper. Honestly with the 26 inch Big Horn tires there is seldom any need for 4wd. I run in open rear diff, 2wd mode almost all the time in summer. In winter with the tracks on I will use 4wd and lock the rear diff when needed.
If a guy had the full windshield and a plastic cap or canvas top, it would be easy to fab up some door frames of conduit or something and cover them with window film for a great cheap cab. Add tracks and head out there!

/ If buying new what would You Buy
Foggy 1111
Thanks for your thoughts exactly the kind of input I was looking for. Sounds like a Pioneer with unlocking rear differential would be exactly what I am looking for. Of course not available, everything is a compromise. keep your input coming. Anyone hear about a Pioneer with unlocking rear end ? For 2014