If buying new what would You Buy

/ If buying new what would You Buy #71  
2014 Kubota RTV 1140 CPX here..... but I will use it for work around the compound and the wife uses it to run down to the boat dock with ice chests, life jackets, tackle boxes, kneeboards, ect.....

Opening myself up for some well-deserved flaming, here's my 2 cents: From reading through what must be a couple thousand posts in this forum, a few hundred magazine reviews and articles, and a bunch of UTV You Tube Videos, there appears to be two main camps of UTV owners and one that tries to straddle the middle road. Neither type of owner or UTV is "better" or "worse", just know what makes you happy, what fits your image, and how you plan to use it and purchase accordingly. For those owners of UTV's who can afford multiple vehicles, this is obviously a moot discussion as they can be Type 1, 2, and 3 and afford to own a vehicle to fit their mood of the day. For the rest of us making that tough single UTV decision, again, here's my 2 cents.

UTV Owner Type 1: If taking your UTV up steep hills at 50+MPH, getting "air" with your UTV, rock crawling with your UTV, and chasing down others riding ATV's through the mud, and hauling some stuff here and there. This type of owner, from my observation appears to enjoy and want the capabilities closer to an ATV than truly a UTV, but don't tell them their UTV can't work.. I picture these kind of owners as more of the "X games" or "Dew the Dew" crowd. Putting your UTV up against another UTV owner and racing or looking for at Eaton super charger for your UTV seems to be something that could occur with this type of owner. Someone unafraid of "modding" their UTV mechanically to achieve a few more MPH and having the skillset to handle minor vehicle hiccups here or there (but don't tell them their vehicle is less reliable than yours). Observed some Type 1 owners whose other vehicles, minivans, Prius', or a farm tractor almost require them to have a UTV that get's their adrenaline pumping.

At this early stage in my UTV owning experience (mine arrives in 2 weeks, have only demo'd one at the dealer), if you are a Type 1 UTV Owner, I wouldn't recommend Kubota.

UTV Owner Type 2: If you imagine dragging trees with rootballs up steep hills at a rather slow pace, driving casually down a dirt trail, hauling tons and I do mean tons of rock and gravel, picture yourself driving a tank as a great thing, visualize your UTV lasting 3000+ hours, visualize what size building your UTV could likely tow or haul, know what a Unimog is and wish you owned one, and "enjoying" a vehicle that is going to rattle your teeth a bit on very rough terrain. This type of owner "brags" about the largest loads they've carried or the biggest thing they've drug out of the forest with their UTV. Drag racing or engine mods of a UTV are not likely in this owner type's list of priorities. Make it extremely tough, legendary reliability, and no need to go fast seem to come from this group.

If you perceive Kubota to equate to the same bullet proof reliability and severe duty toughness of the orange TLB's you see at all the rental yards with 3000+ hours on them, then, again, from my limited experience, Kubota might just be your ideal UTV.

UTV Owner Type 3: This appears to be the group still hunting for the ideal vehicle that is both tank and Ferrari, both chain dragging brute toughness and silky smooth suspension through the boulders. Having looked at and driven quite a few ATV's and UTV's, I've not seen a model that ideally fits everything this Type 3 owner is wanting (but thank goodness for competition which continues to try to produce a good at everything UTV). There is no free lunch, so being extremely well suited in one area, you likely have a trade off in another. These owner types, if they've owned a Kubota or Mule, likely grew to hate it as this owner is far closer to a Type 1 than a Type 3 they just don't know it.

For these owner types, I wouldn't recommend a Kubota either.

Let the flaming begin..... :) I'm likely as full of crap as what my new 1140 will carry.....

/ If buying new what would You Buy #72  
That was amusing. If I understand you correctly this is your first UTV?? And sounds like you've not owned an ATV??

If that's true it will also be amusing to see how much your opinion changes in the next year.

I categorize you as the UTV owner Type 4: Never, never, under any circumstances, would admit that they might not have bought the right UTV. Time will tell. ;)

/ If buying new what would You Buy #73  
Thanks so much for the morning chuckle and you might very well be right..... :thumbsup:

Actually, never owned a UTV, until now, but have owned 4 or 5 different ATV's.....Honda's and Yamaha's only..... type 4, LOL..... that's good.....

/ If buying new what would You Buy #74  
Thanks so much for the morning chuckle and you might very well be right..... :thumbsup:

Actually, never owned a UTV, until now, but have owned 4 or 5 different ATV's.....Honda's and Yamaha's only..... type 4, LOL..... that's good.....

We shall see my friend, we shall see. :D

/ If buying new what would You Buy #75  
TableRocked: You are exagerating a bit in places (the supercharger part at least). Otherwise, you are right enough to suit me. I'd add a few more types that fall between the types 1,2 and 3 that you describe, for more granularity. But the bottom line is that a person has to consider the mission for the vehicle before purchase. Multiple mission types are OK too, but don't expect one vehicle to do multiple missions all equally well, or as well as the correct vehicle for each particular mission.
If I personally had to fall into one of your types as described, I am definitely a type 3, looking for some compromise between full-work and at least some play ability. I chose the JD 825i as mentioned before. Have had it 1.5 years, and it still meets the type 3 mission very well. We have used it for fencing and hauling and dumping and towing and its a tough horse. Also have done numerous country road cruises with it and thats a blast. the ride is sweet with optional fox shocks (but was darn good with stock too). I would not intentionally jump it off the ground, any more than I would consider doing that with my pickup. I can see guys who havent been through the thrill of ATV ownership for a few years, and getting a UTV, thinking that moto crossing the thing is OK. But it will turn into a maintenance nightmare eventually. Just like mudding, it will eventually catch up with you.
One last thing: when defining the mission, try to look at the long-term. Think about how it might change in a year or 3 years. For instance, ours grew Camoplast tracks this winter. There is a Camoplast setup for most everything made, but other accesories that you might wish to grow into might conflict with your original vehicle/mission choice.

/ If buying new what would You Buy #76  
2014 Kubota RTV 1140 CPX here..... but I will use it for work around the compound and the wife uses it to run down to the boat dock with ice chests, life jackets, tackle boxes, kneeboards, ect.....

Opening myself up for some well-deserved flaming, here's my 2 cents: From reading through what must be a couple thousand posts in this forum, a few hundred magazine reviews and articles, and a bunch of UTV You Tube Videos, there appears to be two main camps of UTV owners and one that tries to straddle the middle road. Neither type of owner or UTV is "better" or "worse", just know what makes you happy, what fits your image, and how you plan to use it and purchase accordingly. For those owners of UTV's who can afford multiple vehicles, this is obviously a moot discussion as they can be Type 1, 2, and 3 and afford to own a vehicle to fit their mood of the day. For the rest of us making that tough single UTV decision, again, here's my 2 cents.
---------------------------
UTV Owner Type 2: If you imagine dragging trees with rootballs up steep hills at a rather slow pace, driving casually down a dirt trail, hauling tons and I do mean tons of rock and gravel, picture yourself driving a tank as a great thing, visualize your UTV lasting 3000+ hours, visualize what size building your UTV could likely tow or haul, know what a Unimog is and wish you owned one, and "enjoying" a vehicle that is going to rattle your teeth a bit on very rough terrain. This type of owner "brags" about the largest loads they've carried or the biggest thing they've drug out of the forest with their UTV. Drag racing or engine mods of a UTV are not likely in this owner type's list of priorities. Make it extremely tough, legendary reliability, and no need to go fast seem to come from this group.
--------------------------------------------
Let the flaming begin..... :) I'm likely as full of crap as what my new 1140 will carry.....No ​I think you have it figured out ! :thumbsup:
I am a Type 2. :D
P8060013.JPG PA120005m.jpg PA120008.JPG PA120009.JPG

PB190012.JPG PB190014.JPG PB190017.JPG PB190018.JPG
See post #17, Electric Ranger: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/287792-electric-polaris-ranger.html

/ If buying new what would You Buy #77  
digi weigh....that is awesome! You are the poster child for type 2 :laughing:

Oh, and I should have added, in my case, the 2 seater to 4 seater conversion with a usable box was a "must".....that knocked down my pool of possible candidates drastically

(All I ran across were the Kawasaki 4X4 Trans Diesel and my Kubota 1140 CPX)

/ If buying new what would You Buy #78  
That Can AM looks like a high tech sand rail dune buggy....I bet that thing is a blast.....and if I wasn't mandated to have a 2 to 4 person convertible (that short box to long box with usable hydraulic is grail for me), that JD 855D looks like a tough machine with quite a bit of sport in her too.....plus, how could you go wrong with a Yanmar Diesel under the hood.....

/ If buying new what would You Buy #79  
I am definitely "type 2". We have a Gator 620i.. Its a good machine, but if buying today I'd look at both the Gator 825 and the Kubota X1120. This morning I was at our local Kubota dealer and walked over to check out the X1120. NICE.

/ If buying new what would You Buy #80  
Put me down for "type 2". Kioti Mechron, 25 mph max, pulls a house! :thumbsup:
(able to haul 2 kubotas out of the mud, without spinning a tire!) :laughing: