I'm just a little boy

/ I'm just a little boy #1  

JeffreyG

I\'m just a little boy

Decided to buy a garden tractor instead of a compact tractor. Sorry that I cannot yet own a "real" tractor.

Just comes down to money. Wanted a John Deere 790 or 2210, or a Kubota BX1500 or 2200. Any of them with a loader and mid-mount mower go for at least $10,000 to $15,000. Was leaning toward the BX2200 package for about $13,500 including tax.

Anyway, I found a great deal on a new John Deere GT235E, 18hp twin, 54" deck, electrical outlet 120v, 48" front blade, 4x42 lb rear suitcase weights. I can't quote the exact price, because it was an inside deal. But the "sale" price right now because of a John Deere incentive for the GT235E with the smaller 48" deck is $4780. I'm getting the special package described above for about that much.

Now, a compact tractor with loader might be worth 3x a garden tractor. But I don't have 3x the money. Nor can I really justify it, and I've tried!

But if I've got a good mower that runs, then in couple years I'll be more inclined to buy an older used larger tractor with a loader as a supplement /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hopefully I will still be allowed to read this website. Now off to the lawn and garden forums I go.

/ I'm just a little boy #2  
Re: I\'m just a little boy

Hey Jeff, a man has to do what a man has to do. At least you're getting a 'real' garden tractor. Not a piece of crap Murray like I had for 18 years (2 of them).

/ I'm just a little boy #3  

I don't know Billy - two in 18 years works out to one every 9 years. That's pretty good considering the price of a Murray. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But, I know what you mean. A solid tractor is a wonder to behold.

/ I'm just a little boy #4  

Hey Jeffrey,
Don't beat yourself up. It's a whole lot better buying what you can afford then going in debt getting something you can't.
I'm sure this won't be your last tractor so think of it as a warm up to the real thing.
Have fun!
-Terry

/ I'm just a little boy #5  

I agree with the others. I know when I went from a 12hp Craftsman to the JD335 it was a big step!!

/ I'm just a little boy #6  

Hey you got to start somewere. I have been here for years, and I JUST got a "real" tractor.

/ I'm just a little boy #7  

Paul
Your profile still lists the Case and Ingersoll but not your tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ I'm just a little boy #8  

Jeff,
When I was first married and bought my place 26 years ago, I bought a Mustang Yardman riding mower for $50. We kept it running with duct tape and cable ties for 10 years. When we refinanced our home, I slipped out enough to buy a new John Deere STX38 when they first came out. Thought I had died and gone to heaven with that machine. I was pleading with my neighbors to let me mow their lawn. It even "looked" like a real tractor. 13 years later, we upgraded that John Deere to an LX277 with a mulching deck. Once again, I was livin' the good life. Then, 3 years later, during another refinance of our home, we slipped out enough to buy my Kubota B7500. I was 50 years old when I bought it, and I had basically been waiting all my life for this. The excitement of that moment will be with me for the rest of my days. Waiting is not such a bad thing. It makes me appreciate that hunk of orange out in the shop a lot more knowing how long I had to wait for it. I don't know if I would have appreciated it as much when I was younger, and I also know how hard I had to work to get it....... Sorry.... I just had to get a little philosophical there.

Greg

/ I'm just a little boy #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The excitement of that moment will be with me for the rest of my days. )</font>

Wow Greg, I thought I was the only one.
-Terry

/ I'm just a little boy #10  

Jeffrey, I bought essentially the same tractor about 3 years ago and it was worth every penny. I even used it to drag my arena with a drag that was much too heavy. It has been a real workhorse. I am sure you will enjoy having it.