I'm just a little boy

/ I'm just a little boy #21  
Re: I\'m just a little boy

I don't know what you are apologizing for. You still have a tractor! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif As I recall this is Tractor By Net, not Compact Tractor By Net. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif A tractor is a tractor is a tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It doesn't matter what size it is. A tractor is a tractor is a tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I'm just a little boy #22  

Yeah.. don't beat them murry's up to much.. I got mine for a hair over 700$.. and I've mowed the pee out of it.. it is going on 6 years easy.. with nothing but blade replacement, and lube/filter service.

I have a el-cheapo push mower from pic-n-save that is 10 years old...

I've replaced blades, changed the oil a couple times, spark plugs, and one time had to polish th gap area for the ignition system... paid either 89 or 99 bucks for it. Doesn't smoke, starts on first pull, and is strong...

Soundguy

/ I'm just a little boy #23  

Yeah, I'm all tied up in "name brand" things myself. Wouldn't dream of owning a Murray - you know, a mower that I could afford, so I continue to push my Scotts mower around the yard - smug in my confidence that I'll never ride a Murray. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif What ever, seems to me I'm the dumb one since I could be sitting instead of pushing.

Got blasted by my dad the other day, seems he thought my new Dickies work clothes I bought to work on the house were too much. He says they're more of that "name brand" stuff I'm always buying. Yeah right, Dickies is what all the cool kids are wearing in school these days. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I did opt for a couple of their t-shirts. They were a bit disapointing - $10 a pop and the bottom seams unraveled the first day out. Love the pants though.

I also bit the bullet and ordered a set of Catepillar steel toe work boots. Very nice, very comfortable. These are Cat's Second Shift boots and I can highly recommend them. Really added a level of confidence that I was missing while wearing tennis shoes and building the house. Same feeling you get from putting on a set of good gloves. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I TRIED to buy them local, but no one had my size (10.5 Wide), so I ordered a set from Zappos.com. Boots arrived in two days and came with a "no questions asked" return policy. They'll even send you a call tag to ship them back. No need to return these though - I love 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ I'm just a little boy #24  

icat,
Don't know about the Caterpillar boots. Never had any but I'm a big fan of Dickies. $14.00 at Wal-Mart. Comfortable, roomy and CHEAP work cloths. I use to spend $40.00 for Levi's. No more.
My tractor can't even tell the difference
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I'm just a little boy #25  

Ok I have to stand up for Murray here for a second. My dad bought a Murray riding mower when I was 5. He sold it when I was 20!!! He mowed the lawn (a pretty big yard at that.. I think 2 acres) for 15 years!! Granted he takes very good care of his stuff, this tractor never gave him any problems to speak of. And the best part... when he sold it, it honestly looked and performed like it would still go another 10 years!!! He gave 500.00 for it brand new (as I remember). That is what I call getting your moneys worth!! I cant remember the model or anything else, but it was a maroon reddish color and had an 11 horsepower briggs in it.
-Brad

/ I'm just a little boy

Thanks for the support guys!

I'm in my late 30s. Had the house on 20 acres for 2 years now. Wife is the driving force behind making it into a small "farm". You know, that whole homesteading movement. Personally, I'm more into hunting, skiing, and watching tv than farming, but I do like animals. So far she's got sheep and chickens and turkeys. We'll move her horse to our place after I build a shed or barn for it, and then we'll get another horse.

The garden tractor will have to do it all for a while. That's why I got the front blade. To help pushing things around that need pushing. Would be nice to have a loader, but oh well. We have human powered shovels that can lift about 30 pounds at a time.

The John Deere should be nice. I had considered going with a comparable Craftsman, but the wife didn't want one. She believes we'll get more quality with JD. Now, I know there's really no answer to a brand-name discussion. There are loyalists on all sides of the fence. Getting what seems a good price made the decision for me. And I don't mind the color green on a tractor /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ I'm just a little boy #27  

Well I spent my weekend on top the house, so the tractor never saw my new Dickies (work clothes guys, get your minds out of the gutter). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I'm with you, these are MUCH better than Levis. Love that hammer loop too! Did I mention how much I like the Cat boots? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dad's got an old Snapper ridding mower, or maybe it's a Torro, out at the property. Poor old things is as ugly as a toad, but it runs good. He's had it for ten or so years and other than the fadded and missing paint it's in pretty good shape.

/ I'm just a little boy #28  

Well, I'll stand up for Murray too. I started the Murray Bash but that wasn't my intent. I used that first Murray for at least 12 years. It was my first rider and at a fair price. I think I gave 850 (tax and all) at Wal Mart. The only gripe I had with it was the quality of the deck. That old B&S engine never failed me and never used any oil. I sold it in 93 (I believe) for 350. So I got my monies worth.

The second one? I won't go into that. I will say this, in the 12 years from the first to the second, the quality went downhill. I finally gave it to my youngest son /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I'm just a little boy #29  

I usually stay in the BIG tractor forums, but I have to get in on this too.

None of my tractors are capable of mowing the lawn, the 4010 JD would, maybe with a rear mount, the 4030 JD is too big and my new 5030 has a cab and low tree limbs would be detrimental to the tractors looks.

I used to run a rear mount behind my 3710 Kubby until I broke the lid of the septic tank with the drives and my wife had to pull me out with the pickup (STINK-STINK). I had to make a new lid which I did from a piece of 3/8 " diamond plate.

Needless to say, I needed a riding lawnmower or as the ad's say, a riding lawn tractor .

I didn't want to spend an arm and leg for a JD or a Wheel Horse or Simplicity, so I went to the Local TSC (Tough S*** Charlie's) and bought a Huskee with a 48" deck and a Briggs 23 horse V twin vertical motor. This little gem even has a 2 barrell carb. Today it dosen't matter what the brand is, for the most part with the exception of the high end mowers, they are all made by MTD. My Huskee was $1500.00 full of gas and oil and I got 6 months same as cash on my TSC card.

In olden days, big power on a "lawn tractor" was 12-15 ponies. This Huskee has 23. It does a nice job (I cut about 3.5 acres) and use about 3 gallons of gas each time. I got really daring a few weeks ago and mowed down the tall weeds in one horse paddock. The Huskee did it fine even though the weeds were taller than the tractor.

I could put the Huskee in the bucket of the 5030, and to clean the deck which I do often, I put a chain around the front bumper on the Huskee and lift it up in the air with the 5030. Makes cleaning the deck easy.

What really sold me was not only the price (which was a consideration) but the fact that the local elevator has on that they have had for about 7 years and other than belts, blades and oil changes, they have had NO problems.

/ I'm just a little boy #30  

<font color="red"> Paul
Your profile still lists the Case and Ingersoll but not your tractor.

</font>

Oops /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thought I had changed that.

BTW she's an early Ford 8N. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Still shopping for that brushhog to go with it.