Impact screw drivers?

/ Impact screw drivers? #241  
No I have not used one

But I guess I miss your point :confused3:

What does making a single cut with a battery powered tool have to do with continuous duty operation

Several cordless models have shown to cut faster than a corded version

With my cordless circular saw there is only so many of inches of plywood it will cut before the battery runs down and needs to be recharged

Impressive tool none the less

My M28 stuff is used throughout the day and it is as strong as the plug in stuff with the added no cord flexibility of being able to be used out in BFE. Batteries take about 30-45 minutes to fully charge and by the time one battery is getting weak, the other battery is ready to go.

/ Impact screw drivers? #242  
My M28 stuff is used throughout the day and it is as strong as the plug in stuff with the added no cord flexibility of being able to be used out in BFE. Batteries take about 30-45 minutes to fully charge and by the time one battery is getting weak, the other battery is ready to go.

:thumbsup:!

/ Impact screw drivers? #243  
What I would love to find are star-drive bits that have the 1/4" quick-connect hex end for my impact gun, and have an impact gun rating for durability (standard torx bits do not).

Home Depot and Lowes has lots of them. I prefer the Milwaukee brand bits because they seem to last quite a bit longer then the other brands. I've always had trouble with DeWalt, and I've found that their tips tend to break fairly often, but because that's all they had the last time I needed some while at Lowes, I bought a new version of DeWalt bits for impact drivers with a little yellow color on them. These are new and I've found them to be very good. Bosch also makes good bits, but they are hard to find. Lowes used to carry them, but they have gone all DeWalt and lesser brands.

Eddie

/ Impact screw drivers? #244  
What I would love to find are star-drive bits that have the 1/4" quick-connect hex end for my impact gun, and have an impact gun rating for durability (standard torx bits do not). The bits that come with each bucket of star-drive screws are short bits made to go in a magnetic holder. While they work OK, it's hard to find a magnetic holder that will stand up to the repeated loads of an impact gun. Plus, the screw head holds on to the bit so well, it will often pull the bit out of the magnetic holder when you go to move the gun after driving a screw.

Your asking about bits similar to these right?

Star Drive Bits - Rockler Woodworking Tools

They have a good bit display of all sized impact ready bits on the counter at the independent lumber yard/hardware store I deal with.

I also have been buying the longer hex shanked bits often now and not using a bit holder

I have had the same issue many times especially with square tips staying with the screw head but guess its better to too be too tight than too loose.

My Milwaukee magnetic bit holder is very nice. A lot of the really cheap ones china junk don't even spin true. Wobble so bad especially at the high rpms a lot of these tool spin at. I bring my drill in with me and sit at the counter checking them until I find one I'm happy with :D

I bought some from TSC like that..pure junk. For $5 was 3 different length bit holders and 3 sized socket adapters. The adapters I like and work really good so it wasn't a total waste of money and actually ball lock on a impact socket better than the Milwaukee brand I also have.

At the lumber yard they also sell the ones with the knurled collar you pull back first to insert the tip. You can hammer on one of them so bad you'll need pliers to get the bit out. Really no good for impacts

/ Impact screw drivers? #245  
Home Depot and Lowes has lots of them. I prefer the Milwaukee brand bits because they seem to last quite a bit longer then the other brands. I've always had trouble with DeWalt, and I've found that their tips tend to break fairly often, but because that's all they had the last time I needed some while at Lowes, I bought a new version of DeWalt bits for impact drivers with a little yellow color on them. These are new and I've found them to be very good. Bosch also makes good bits, but they are hard to find. Lowes used to carry them, but they have gone all DeWalt and lesser brands.

Eddie

FWIW, I've had really good luck with that little, 38 piece Milwaukee bit set.

FREE SHIPPING — Milwaukee Universal QUIK-LOK Drill and Drive Set — 38-Pc., Model# 48-32-1500 | Steel Drill Bits| Northern Tool + Equipment

As well as the Bosch Daredevil Spade bits for impact drivers.

Bosch DareDevil Spade Bit Set (13-Piece)-DSB5013P - The Home Depot

After using good spade bits with an impact driver, I'll never use an auger bit again!

/ Impact screw drivers? #246  
I have a couple of older Craftsman 19.2 V tools from a kit (drill + flashlight). The Ni-Cd batteries have reached the point where they no longer will hold a charge. I noticed that Sears now sells a kit that looks the same, with the same voltage, but Li-Ion batteries. Does anybody know if I could use one of these Li-Ion batteries to power my old (otherwise useless) cordless drill and flashlight (ie, are they interchangeable with the old Ni-Cds)?
Bob

/ Impact screw drivers? #247  
Home Depot and Lowes has lots of them. I prefer the Milwaukee brand bits because they seem to last quite a bit longer then the other brands. I've always had trouble with DeWalt, and I've found that their tips tend to break fairly often, but because that's all they had the last time I needed some while at Lowes, I bought a new version of DeWalt bits for impact drivers with a little yellow color on them. These are new and I've found them to be very good. Bosch also makes good bits, but they are hard to find. Lowes used to carry them, but they have gone all DeWalt and lesser brands. Eddie

Eddie, I also like the new Dewalt impact bits. The Bosch bits were the best but didn't hold up in an impact. The last ones I bought for a phillips I couldn't drive but 5-10 3.5" screws before they would shatter. That's when I switched to impact rated bits which have only gotten better. They were hard to find about 3 years ago but now are plentiful. Also Menards has some Power Force(I think) double end impact bits that are holding up very well.

/ Impact screw drivers? #248  
I have a couple of older Craftsman 19.2 V tools from a kit (drill + flashlight). The Ni-Cd batteries have reached the point where they no longer will hold a charge. I noticed that Sears now sells a kit that looks the same, with the same voltage, but Li-Ion batteries. Does anybody know if I could use one of these Li-Ion batteries to power my old (otherwise useless) cordless drill and flashlight (ie, are they interchangeable with the old Ni-Cds)?
Bob

Old Ni-Cads can be rebuilt at your local Battery store.

/ Impact screw drivers? #249  
Bob

I know that I bought LiIon batteries for my NiMh Ryobi tools and they work just fine.

/ Impact screw drivers? #250  
I know that I bought LiIon batteries for my NiMh Ryobi tools and they work just fine.

Yes they do. In fact better than fine.. But remember you had to have a charger that was compatible with the new LI-ON batteries. The new charger will charge both the LI-ON batteries and the old NIMh batteries but the old charger will not charge the new LI-On batteries. All of my older NiMh batteries have bit the dust, and I don't intend to have them rebuilt.. I will just put the money towards the new Li-On batteries and go on.