Impact screw drivers?

/ Impact screw drivers? #251  
The other day I visited a friend at a townhouse development where a crew was remodeling the front porches - railings, posts, balusters, overhead moldings, window and door trim. There were about eight guys working on three porches at a time. There were just two extension cords on the job. One leading to a 2ft x 4ft piece of plywood holding a bunch of DeWalt and Makita chargers, the other to a sliding miter saw. Other than that, every tool they had was cordless - circular saws, sawzalls, sanders, nailers, drills, impact drivers.

I watched them while sitting with my friend. They were very busy but I did not see anyone stop to get a fresh battery. I particularly noticed the lack of extension cords which are always underfoot or getting snagged on something or tangled up.

Although I've shifted to cordless hand-held tools myself, I hadn't thought about the difference cordless tools might make on a jobsite. Not having cords all over the place makes for a smoother workflow and is no doubt safer as well.

/ Impact screw drivers? #252  
Yes they do. In fact better than fine.. But remember you had to have a charger that was compatible with the new LI-ON batteries. The new charger will charge both the LI-ON batteries and the old NIMh batteries but the old charger will not charge the new LI-On batteries. All of my older NiMh batteries have bit the dust, and I don't intend to have them rebuilt.. I will just put the money towards the new Li-On batteries and go on.

You are correct. I forgot until you mentioned it that I bought the new Lithium batteries in a kit with a new charger. I tossed the old charger along with the old NiMh batteries.

I think the general rule is that if Lithium batteries will fit in the tool then they will work. The companies are pretty careful to engineer both the batteries and tools so they are compatible.

/ Impact screw drivers? #253  
As an aside, I just did a simple household project putting in a new wireless doorbell. I grabbed my 18v drill at first and then put it down and got the little 12v lithium Bosch impact driver. So small and light that you barely know it is in your hand yet it has all the power you would need for household chores. I wouldn't try to drive 3 inch screws regularly but 2 or even 2.5 would be no issue. And, you can get it into virtually any space you can get your fist into. Remarkably useful.

Amazon.com: Bosch PS21-2A 12-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 2-Speed Pocket Driver Kit with 2 Batteries, Charger and Case: Home Improvement

/ Impact screw drivers? #254  
I have the same Bosch 12v set. I used the drill with a drywall bit to hang 900 sq ft of sheetrock on the ceiling in my shop a few months ago. It is light and extremely easy to modulate driving screws in old trusses of varying density to get a perfect dimple with every screw.

/ Impact screw drivers? #255  
I don't care much for the Milwaukee shockwave bits I have and I probably wont buy them again. I'm fine with the bits I get at the local lumber/hardware store. I will have find who makes the ones they sell in bulk.

A while back pro tool did some testing on some different brands of bits

/ Impact screw drivers? #258  
Old Ni-Cads can be rebuilt at your local Battery store.
Some packs are in sealed plastic cases. They break when you try to open them. Not rebuildable.
larry

/ Impact screw drivers? #259  
Some packs are in sealed plastic cases. They break when you try to open them. Not rebuildable.
larry

I have heard that rebuilders cut the sealed packs apart and epoxy them back together.

I have some older ridgid ni-cad 18v batteries that need to be rebuilt. They are screwed together so it is easy to get inside. I'm considering buying the cells and doing it myself but I'm worried about the heat if I solder. The originals look like the tabs are sort-of "punched" into the cells. Looking online I have seen people build little spot welders for this purpose but it doesn't seem worth the trouble for 2 batteries. I may send them out to be done.

/ Impact screw drivers? #260  
Until this thread, I had never used or considered an impact driver. I bought a HF 18V driver on sale because of this thread.

I just used it, first time. Drove 16 stainless steel screws. I am amazed how easily they went into metal following a drilled pilot hole.

The heads of 2 screws snapped off although I had been warned by reading posts of others who, too, snapped screw heads.

My net...wish I had heard about impact driver sooner. If you don't have one yet, get one. And, truly, it will not booger phillips heads, even when extremely hard to drive into material.