Invaded by armyworms

/ Invaded by armyworms #1  

RPW

Veteran Member
I've been invaded by armyworms. Heard a news report on how the buggers are worse this year due to the recent rains. Went and checked my fields and they're everywhere. I've been keeping my fields taller so the horses would have more grazing but I've lost one complete field already and an spraying the rest. Now if the rain would let up.

/ Invaded by armyworms #2  
They're here in N Texas with a vengeance. I hope the floods we've gotten will drown some of them.

/ Invaded by armyworms #3  
What the he!! are armyworms?

/ Invaded by armyworms #4  
Larvae of the pine sawfly up here in MI, IIRC. 'Ours' are OD green in color and every so many seconds they sway in precise unison, as if following a military command. This spooks predators away and may startle human observers.

Some guys fret when the see 'regiments' of 'em munching on pine needles (esp the many reds), not realizing that there are no three year old pine needles. Branches once laid bare are scarcely recognizable within two seasons as new growth expands a tree's crown and covers the bleak limbs they had cleaned off.

All that said, it could be a lot different if they attacked forage crops and barely left anything.

This is from experience and memory. Google info may supersede mine. :eek: t o g

Edit: I Googled army worm and read that there is more than one specie so named, others being a moth that loves grasses. The best organic control is said to be BT, a favorite of mine. Carbaryl (Sevin) works but is not the best or cheapest option.

Last edited:
   / Invaded by armyworms #5  
We've had a plague of tent caterpillars the last couple of years, I'm told because of unusually warm winters.

There's a nontoxic chemical called Safer Caterpillar Spray that works great on the ones I can reach (and also works in your garden against all the various caterpillar pests). But I can't reach the tent caterpillars because they're 40-50' high.

/ Invaded by armyworms #6  
Between army worms and stem maggots and daily rain it's been a tough hay season down here in Florida as well.

/ Invaded by armyworms #7  
RPW - so, now we have an idea what army worms are - Where are YOU and your invading army???

/ Invaded by armyworms #8  
I Have sprayed 4 times so far. Last week I had a short window and was able to cut . It is the worst infestation I've ever had,.

/ Invaded by armyworms #9  
I Have sprayed 4 times so far. Last week I had a short window and was able to cut . It is the worst infestation I've ever had,.
Have you had a problem with stem maggots as well, or just army worms ?

/ Invaded by armyworms #10  
Army worms are really bad here in East Texas right now. The Bermuda around my land is being eaten up by them. I haven't sprayed yet, but hope to some time this week. Seems like a lot of people are posting about it, including home owners that have them in their lawns.