Invaded by armyworms

/ Invaded by armyworms
Well got 1small field sprayed yesterday but sprayer pump burnt out. New one on order but won't be here till end of week. Will probably shred short as I understand it armyworms don't like cut grass or short grass. Hope it saves the rest of my fields.

/ Invaded by armyworms
Looks like we dodged a bullet on one field. Looked at it last night and only found one worm. We'll be keeping an eye on it.

/ Invaded by armyworms #14  
Looks like we dodged a bullet on one field. Looked at it last night and only found one worm. We'll be keeping an eye on it.

about 14 days and those will be moths ready to lay eggs again.

/ Invaded by armyworms #15  
We get tent caterpillars here. Last year south of town. From: '''They just keep coming''': Tent caterpillar invasion coats Sask. home in insects — and feces | CBC News

tent-caterpillars.jpg

tent-caterpillars.jpg

/ Invaded by armyworms #17  
We used to get tent caterpillars and spruce budworm larvae in northern Canada. They were on a cycle of every 5-odd years. They munched through spruce trees like...well, an army. Entire swaths of trees dead...all that tinder-dry deadwood contributing to the terrible forest fires that are happening lately. When we were kids, we used to run over them with our bike tires until the streets got too squishy. We had the odd car that lost traction when they crossed the pavement.

/ Invaded by armyworms #18  
At least when we get tent caterpillars they are in small isolated clumps, nothing like that.

Gypsy moth caterpillars have been rough, we have been hitting them with BT and it was finally wet enough this year that the other natural fungi etc. helped knock them back so most of our trees were able to recover. Been a number of oaks that were already drought stressed that didn't make it, I see a number of danger trees on my commute that need to come down. Local tree service just got new trucks and cranes, they are going to be busy for a while.

Our problems aren't as bad as you guys, but I sympathize.

/ Invaded by armyworms #19  
I got wiped out by army worms. They wiped out my yard and pasture, 7 acres total. I was away, so no chance to mount a defense and spray. My wife said it only took a matter of days.

/ Invaded by armyworms #20  
My 87 year old mother called me yesterday frantic about army worm infestation in her yard. Called my son who works at the golf course where she lives to see if he could help out. They were out of spray so some was ordered. Should be here by tomorrow and all is well hopefully. Never had those buggers here at my place for some reason.