Is Amsoil API certified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Is Amsoil API certified? #11  
DieselPower said:
Well just a little info on API and ACEA certifications, they do mean something. It means that that licensed oil has gone through hundreds and even thousands of hours of test. To get one weight of diesel engine C (commercial[diesel engine]) certified cost around $360,000 and to get a S (service[gas engine]) certified cost around $150,000. The cost covers the lab bench test and engines that are used for each test.

Instead of ranting about something you apparently know little about you might try to actually do some research on the test before you put them down.

It means it passed a spec and that means nothing. The API benefits nothing here and I read these standards everyday. Do you?

Again, if you think Chinamart oil for $1.29 or something is just as good as Redline, Amsoil etc...wow just wow.

Last edited:
   / Is Amsoil API certified? #12  
DieselPower said:
From what I have heard over the years Amsoil does API license a couple of oils for those that want it. Their other (majority) oils are not licensed and often have additive levels that do not meet manufacturers specifications. It's a never ending debate, should you use them or not. My personal suggestion is to stick with a reputable API licensed oil. I also highly recommend looking for ACEA certification and oils that meet/exceed engine manufacturers spec's.

You knock me on thing syou have "heard". Are you for real? Again if anyone on this forum thinks some API cert oil is better then redline/Amsoil lets see the facts and pretty little tests data from there beloved API.

sorry DP, you lose here and do some homework and not based on "what I heard?:D :D

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #13  
API certification certainly doesn't mean nothing. But given the cost I can see why Amsoil doesn't submit all of their products for testing and certification.

Their products are generally top tier but you should probably ignore many of their recommendations, especially the ones telling you how long your drain intervals can be.

In a way, that leaves you with the task of picking the proper oil and determining the drain interval. Fine for some people, not so fine for others...

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #14  
JSharp said:
API certification certainly doesn't mean nothing. But given the cost I can see why Amsoil doesn't submit all of their products for testing and certification.

Their products are generally top tier but you should probably ignore many of their recommendations, especially the ones telling you how long your drain intervals can be.

In a way, that leaves you with the task of picking the proper oil and determining the drain interval. Fine for some people, not so fine for others...

agree. I have utilized both (these group 4 and 5) for years and both work way over some chinamart oil too or 99% of the other API oils.

As I noted before the API on the bottle gives people a warm and fuzzy. For me I will go by performace in the real world synthetic and not a little 1" symbol on a bottle of "Always low" oil.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #15  
frank_miller said:
agree. I have utilized both (these group 4 and 5) for years and both work way over some chinamart oil too or 99% of the other API oils.
How does amsoil or redline "work way over" an API certified oil? Please don't list a bunch of UOA numbers that mean nothing to the end user; we've been through that a whole bunch of times. If you can, please supply us an example of where an API oil failed to do the job for you and a non-API approved oil saved the day. 'Additional protection' or 'cheap insurance' or any other mindset that may or may not come from buying a particular product is not a satisfactory reason.

As I noted before the API on the bottle gives people a warm and fuzzy. For me I will go by performace in the real world synthetic and not a little 1" symbol on a bottle of "Always low" oil.

I might suggest that having the names Amsoil or Redline on the bottle gives as much or more of a warm fuzzy feeling to some people than the API symbol does for others.

You're new here. You might want to do a search on this subject before enlightening all of us with the revelation of how good certain brands of synthetic are. Amsoil et al vs conventional oils has been talked to death here.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #16  
Please tell me where an API oil is better. Please do!! Based on the posts prior, people THINK a API symbol means something. I have yet to see that.

Hate to say but if you think for 1-minute that an API oil is better then a non approved API oil, please show me. Since to date, the API symbol means nothing and gets the end user anything but a little symbol from chinamart..

Yes Redline and Amsoil are better since if you did longer drains it is very clear since your $1.50 API oil would be sludge by then.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #17  
I gather you have no example to share with us.

So, if what you are saying is true, and if the API rating system means nothing, then I can run any oil, S or C rated or no rating at all, in my 2008 diesel pickup?

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #18  
Again run Chinamart oil in your engine and then redline/Amsoil for 10K miles and see what happens or the outcome in the UOA. Nevemind the sludge, white smoke etc. Your API oil will fail long before the other grp 4/5 oils and that is a fact! I would not share the info since I have been there done that. Also YOU do not want that. :)

Please show me where an API approved oil gets the end user ANYTHING!?????

Put it this way, have you tried these oils in your 2008 diesel? Being an API approved oil is not the same as a oil classification here nor does API integral to oil class. You are talking 2 diff things. Then again I would not buy a 2008 diesel nor a diesel at all. The fuel is too high ( $0.50 more per gallon I love that) nor being the new EPA stuff on the engines. Hay, have fun getting low mpg too.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #19  
frank_miller said:
Please show me where an API approved oil gets the end user ANYTHING!?????

Put it this way, have you tried these oils in your 2008 diesel? Being an API approved oil is not the same as a oil classification here nor does API integral to oil class. You are talking 2 diff things. Then again I would not buy a 2008 diesel nor a diesel at all. The fuel is too high ( $0.50 more per gallon I love that) nor being the new EPA stuff on the engines. Hay, have fun getting low mpg too.

Here you go, an API licensed oil that is performing quite superbly in a short haul FLD 120 road tractor. And by the way, this diesel engine gets on average 6.5 MPG pulling a loaded logging trailer 6 days a week through the mountains. Let's see a gas engine that can do that.

And by the way, the little API logo has nothing to do with Chinamart as you put it.

UOA1.jpg

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #20  
" road tractor" LOL..One test on one tractor and it means something for on the road cars/trucks...you are kidding me right. Like a Series 60 is normal for the every day truck..joke. Can you say where is the baselone DP????

You even said "Please don't list a bunch of UOA numbers that mean nothing to the end user"..talk about BS on your end.

But that is a poor UOA if I have seen one. Example, <2.0% is that for real. Even Blackstone is closer then that.. That is poor is my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.