Is Amsoil API certified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Is Amsoil API certified? #41  
saparks10 said:
I have heard from many people that Amsoil is not API certified. I tried contacting them via email several times but have not heard back. Does anyone know for sure if they are or not?

Is Amsoil still in business?:confused:

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #43  
JSharp said:
I can't comment on the wear numbers here since I'm not at all familiar with UOA's from heavy duty diesels. But I will say that oil seems to have very healthy additive package. It even has some moly which is somewhat rare in an HDMO. And the air filtration is great on that engine. People with cars would love to see those silicon numbers over that interval.

Not related to your post DP, but to address the API argument that this thread has become -

I don't see the reason for the dispute. It's pretty simple really. Selecting an oil that's API certified to the spec recommended by your engine manufacturer will pretty much guarantee you a suitable lubricant.

Will some oils just barely meet the spec. and others surpass it substantially? Sure. Will some non API oils show better results that the recommend API certified oil? Of course it's possible. It's also possible to choose one that really doesn't work well in a given application, or is just an inferior product.

So the API certification is somewhat "oil for dummies" though I don't mean that in a bad way. It's great way to make sure your lubricant meets a suitable minimum standard. Other oils, API and non API may show much better performance in a given application. But the API spec will at least give you a minimum performance level and keep your engine warranty in tact...

nice UOA but most people to not run "FLD 120 road tractor" nor run for his duration nor run more then one oil filter.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #44  
saparks10 said:
But given that it is seen as somewhat of a bench mark i am skeptical of an oil that claims to exceed the certifications but will not have it API certified.

Well then have you tried them? Based on this, I do not think so.It has nothing to do with chances etc. UOA does not lie and run both for 10,000 miles in car not some "tractor" and see the diff.

/ Is Amsoil API certified?
frank_miller said:
Well then have you tried them? Based on this, I do not think so.It has nothing to do with chances etc. UOA does not lie and run both for 10,000 miles in car not some "tractor" and see the diff.

No i have not tried them. I just said that i prefer to use products that have credentials and have been tested. If you try something that has not been researched or tested then you are referred to as a guinea pig. In this case its your engine that is the guinea pig. I do not have the luxury of being able to take chances on what i am putting in my expensive diesel engine. Therefore i prefer an API certified oil. I think i will stick to running API certified Hydrotex for 55k vs an uncertified oil for 10k or whatever you said. Thats just me though. Like i said, run vegetable oil if ya want.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #46  
saparks10 said:
No i have not tried them. I just said that i prefer to use products that have credentials and have been tested. If you try something that has not been researched or tested then you are referred to as a guinea pig. In this case its your engine that is the guinea pig. I do not have the luxury of being able to take chances on what i am putting in my expensive diesel engine. Therefore i prefer an API certified oil. I think i will stick to running API certified Hydrotex for 55k vs an uncertified oil for 10k or whatever you said. Thats just me though. Like i said, run vegetable oil if ya want.

So you are taking chances based on what? How can you even comment when you have not even used them? :confused: If you think for one minute that a redline /amsoil is taking chances, you better think again long and hard. Then again Redline/Amsoil, as you stated "something that has not been researched or tested". <shacking head>

Last edited:
   / Is Amsoil API certified?
frank_miller said:
So you are taking chances based on what? How can you even comment when you have not even used them? :confused:
Ok... If the oil is not certified by API then they can claim whatever they want because is has not been tested and verified. Would you buy a gold ring from someone before verifying first that it is in fact what they're claiming it is, Gold. Or would you just take their word on it, "Its real good, just buy it. We guarantee it." F#!% no. When expensive machinery and money are at stake, I prefer to go with what i know is for real rather than taking someone's "word" on it. Especially when the owners manual states that using an oil that is not API certified can cause damage, which by the way is NOT covered under the warranty. Listen i'm not saying that there arent oils out there that arent API certified and exceed the standards, i'm just saying why take a chance when there are tons that are certified and perform just as well, and probably better than the uncertified. Anyone that works their ***** off and buys their own equipment understands what i am saying. You have to be skeptical now days. I am not about to put something in my equipment because so and so said "It wurks reel good." Besides, Hydrotex guarantees their products. If you decide you dont like their oil, but do like their grease or any other product, they will swap the oil you bought, and used, dollar for dollar for the grease or whatever you want, free of charge. Never heard of an uncertified oil doing that. But as i have already said numerous times, you can run whatever you want in your engines.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #48  
Man, this thread took a nasty turn...

I use an API certified oil because my warranty calls for it. I don't have the means to do meaningful tests myself, so, I'm forced to put my faith in the people that do..
I've also read reports that the test that people such as Amsoil subject their blends to, such as the four ball, are antiquated tests at best, and not much of a test of anything..

Since I cannot discern the differences in the lubricants myself, I'll trust the people who can and stick with an API certified oil..

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #49  
You are missing that Redline and Amsoil have bee tested in real word enviroments for like 30 years. If they where bad, they would not be used in many engines etc.

I work long for my money and buy equipment that is nice. If you think for one day I will put in some cheap oil that has a little API sysmbol in them, wrong. You cannot compare Chainmart oil that is API approved to Redline 5w30 or Amsoil Series 20000. Not evey close.

/ Is Amsoil API certified? #50  
4-ball is junk, yup but for me I have used API oils and non API (redline etc) and there is not way I a going back. I cannot go against my UOA's on my cars using std full flow oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.