It's just torture....

/ It's just torture.... #41  
Famah, hope you are getting better and can start on that great new tractor!. by the way, I loaded my tires saturday, and it really helps. I loaded to 60 percent RV antifreeze and it lowers the center of gravity so it is more stable on slopes, when I have my rotary cutter on the back instead of the weight.
James
K0UA

/ It's just torture....
Hey James:

My dealer is really conscientious. Every tractor he sells comes with a block heater, loaded rear tires, and three hooks welded onto the bucket. So the tires are covered. Now I just have to recreate your ballast masterpiece. I am seriously considering skipping the top link, following Timber's example. I may PM her to get the exact dimensions of her side pins. With my luck, the first time I raise the 3 pt, my ballast will flip over backward and drag on the ground. I can see it!

Well, off to see my Doc. With any luck, I will get the green light to go back to my office. Seat time can't be far behind. WooHoo!

Thank you all for your well wishes. You have made the last 3 days MUCH more bearable.

Nick

/ It's just torture.... #43  
I had a simillar situation: while clearing for my driveway I came across something that gave me hives. Doc prescribed prednisone. I ended up with an allergic reation to the medication which led to fluid build up in certain joints, an atrial flutter and a visit to the hospital to have my heart zapped to get it beating correctly.

Hope you're feeling better.

/ It's just torture.... #44  
Also clean up good before you go to the bathroom. You do not want it "there"!

I am very susceptible to poison oak and I carry disposable rubber gloves on my tractor for backwoods bathroom breaks. Much better than getting a rash on my hoo-hoo.

I have found that the pumice (gritty) GoJo hand cleaner is every bit as good as Technu, maybe even better, and is much less expensive. Do not use the slimy formula.

Roundup works on poison oak for me.
This happened to my brother. His life was pretty miserable for a few days. He thinks he got it from his boots about a week later when putting them on and then going to the bathroom.
Dan

/ It's just torture.... #45  
famah, I though about not putting a top link in, but it was easy, just 2 pieces of 2 inch angle iron, and drill holes and bolt them onto the holes already in the drawbar, make sure they are about 2 inches apart. but the holes are about right on the drawbar already. tractor supply has the drawbars. I saw where harbor freight had them too. drill your hole in both top pieces for the top link pin, and your all set.. no welding on any of this. a hole saw was used for the hole drilling. I made the top link pin height 14 inches above the center line of the lower pins. I put the top link in because I did not want to put the lower link pins so high up on the barrel because, I wanted to lift it higher so it would not drag on high breakover angles. we have some very steep hills here, and even the way it is I have drug off some grass once backing up, and this is with the carter quick hitch on too. You may have noticed that sets the pins about 3 inches higher than factory stock lift will go, because it sets on top of the regular lift arm balls. I have only drug once, on one very steep place, but it can happen, so if you put the lift pins up high on the barrel, your bottom of the barrel will be much closer to the ground, which is good from a stability standpoint, but could be bad from a dragging standpoint.. you decide.
good luck
James K0UA

/ It's just torture.... #46  
I know it is late in the season,

Nick

Nick,

A plant lady once told me that plants go through a serious grow spurt in the spring (duh!) but also they do it in the fall in preparation for winter. Sep/Oct is a good time for plant poison. You will weaken the plant right bef it gets stressed with the winter cold/snow.

Spring and fall (active growth periods) are the best times for plant poison. Not so much summertime.

/ It's just torture.... #48  
Hey James:

My dealer is really conscientious. Every tractor he sells comes with a block heater, loaded rear tires, and three hooks welded onto the bucket. So the tires are covered. Now I just have to recreate your ballast masterpiece. I am seriously considering skipping the top link, following Timber's example. I may PM her to get the exact dimensions of her side pins. With my luck, the first time I raise the 3 pt, my ballast will flip over backward and drag on the ground. I can see it!

Well, off to see my Doc. With any luck, I will get the green light to go back to my office. Seat time can't be far behind. WooHoo!

Thank you all for your well wishes. You have made the last 3 days MUCH more bearable.

Nick

Hi Neighbor!
I was thinking you got your tractor from the guys in Tilton, but it sounds more like the guy in Plainfield to me....... that's where I got mine too.

On the poison ivy, the cold water wash as soon as possible does work, and is taught by the Army these days. The cold water closes your pores, and rinses the oils off your skin. I used to find it about once a year with a weed whacker, or something, but I haven't had a case of it since I started the cold water shower thing when I even think I've been exposed. My son brought that Airborne tip home from Arkansas about 16 years ago.

/ It's just torture....
Hello Yourself!

Nice to hear from a fellow Granite-stater. You are correct. I went with the gentlemen in Plainfield, and could not be happier.

Found out yesterday that I have a staph infection as a result. Too much open skin. So my wings remain clipped for a little bit longer until things get closed up. My doctor is trying to refer me to an allergist that can work on giving me an immunity to the stuff. I guess you go in for weekly shots of the poison, and after several weeks, your body stops overreacting. I can't wait!

Nick

Hi Neighbor!
I was thinking you got your tractor from the guys in Tilton, but it sounds more like the guy in Plainfield to me....... that's where I got mine too.

On the poison ivy, the cold water wash as soon as possible does work, and is taught by the Army these days. The cold water closes your pores, and rinses the oils off your skin. I used to find it about once a year with a weed whacker, or something, but I haven't had a case of it since I started the cold water shower thing when I even think I've been exposed. My son brought that Airborne tip home from Arkansas about 16 years ago.

/ It's just torture.... #50  
Man, you must be miserable. That stuff gets old very quickly! Hopefully the Doc will have you straightened out shortly. We are lucky to have such good doctors, and hospitals in the area. I spent a few days in the big green, and white one north of you this week. Drew, Bob, and the gang in Plainfield are top notch. They brought the service truck here recently to do my 100 hr. service right in my driveway, no mess, no drips, and they took away all the waste oil, etc. All very professional indeed. I had just bought a tiller from them at the time, and they delivered it on the service truck. The mechanic helped me get it on the tractor, and stayed to adjust everything no charge. I hadn't been feeling too well at the time, and really appreciated the help.