It's just torture....

/ It's just torture.... #31  
I have found four things that help with Poison Oak, in order.

1 - Stay far far away from it

2 - Technu to wash up, and for laundry

3 - Aloe. We have Aloe growing in a pot at home. Break a piece off, and rub it on the affected area

4 - Grandma's real lard/lye home made soap

I can not stay away from the stuff. It is on our property. Poison Oak, grows from sea level to about 3500' elevation.

Technu works really well; we have loads of it on th eire engine and at the station; nothing like wildland firefighting in the stuff!

We have Aloe growining on the back deck. It is easy to grow. It provides the best relief. Fresh from the plant is better than the cream and lotion from the store. I have done the hot water trick; it does help, but not as much as fresh Aloe.

My Grandmother used to make soap. It ws the best for poison Oak. But, she has been gone for 15 years, and Mom does not make it any more. I just have not gotten enthused to render lard to make it...

Another thing that has not been mentioned, is carefully undress, and do not touch your clothes; the oil will be on you clothes, boots ect. Straight in to the wash. Technu works good in the wash.

Also clean up good before you go to the bathroom. You do not want it "there"!

I have gotten it from the plant. Also from crashing dirtbikes in it. And, from the dirt bike or tractor, weeks after working/riding in it. I also get it from the dogs, who just ran thru it chasing squirrels ect.

Congrats on the tractor, BTW :D

/ It's just torture.... #32  
Sorry to hear about your poison ivy episode. I've finally found something that works; it's called ZanFel and can be purchased at Walgreens. Only thing; it's expensive. about $35 for an ounce tube. Another less expensive option is to buy a large container of Mean Green hand cleaner. It is esentially the same thing as ZanFel. You can find the Mean Green at their web site and can order it on-line.

/ It's just torture.... #33  
Just last weekend somebody told me to use Preparation H on poison ivy blisters. I tried it, seems to work.

/ It's just torture....
I thought about using Preparation H, but it kind of made me feel like an...you know.:D

/ It's just torture.... #35  
The best herbicide to kill poison Ivy or poison oak is 2-4D as roundup won't kill it . The best time to spray it is early in the season as the later in the season it is the leaves get a waxy film on them and won't absorb the 2-4D and so it won't kill it , it may take a couple of years to get rid of it but after that it won't be back .

/ It's just torture.... #36  
Also clean up good before you go to the bathroom. You do not want it "there"!

I am very susceptible to poison oak and I carry disposable rubber gloves on my tractor for backwoods bathroom breaks. Much better than getting a rash on my hoo-hoo.

I have found that the pumice (gritty) GoJo hand cleaner is every bit as good as Technu, maybe even better, and is much less expensive. Do not use the slimy formula.

Roundup works on poison oak for me.

/ It's just torture.... #37  
I get poison ivy each summer now, have some as I type. The only relief I've found for the itchy is super hot water. Will make it itch like you've never felt anything itch before, crazy adrenalin rush. But once you do it you'll get relief for quite a long time.

The super hot water (as hot as I can stand) exhausts the histamines, which is what causes the itchy feeling. Takes a while for them to build back up.

The only way I can fall asleep some nights.

Joel

I've had both poison ivy and poison oak. For me the poison oak is far worse. But I also found that running the area under VERY hot water would lead to several hours of relief.

/ It's just torture....
Thanks for the heads up on 2-4D working better than Roundup, Allan. I have never heard of 2-4D, but I will be acquiring some soon. And then, I am on a mission. I know it is late in the season, but I want to return the favor to these lovely plants, even if I don't kill them completely. Then I will be back at them next spring.

A poison ivy free property? Dare to dream...

Nick

/ It's just torture.... #39  
Congrats on the new tractor, and sorry to hear about the poison ivy... hope it clears up soon! Since you are new to tractoring I will offer one of the single most important pieces of advice... when moving with a full loader bucket keep the bucket as low to the ground as possible, and always have your hand on the loader valve ready to drop it to the ground if you start to get "tippy".

/ It's just torture....
Thanks WBL:

I read that in the manual, and now it has been underscored. I am working on making rear ballast. Forum members have had some great ideas and have generously posted them, along with pics. Ballast is my very next project.

Nick