JD 110 backhoe buckets

/ JD 110 backhoe buckets #11  
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I looked around on the net and found this forum. Sure seems like a great place to learn and share. Well this week I bought my first "toy". It's a 2003 JD 110. I've had some experience with this tractor and I'm very happy with it. Seems its capable of doing about everything I want to do here on my property. Only thing is it came with a small 12 in bucket. So I'm in need of a bigger bucket to do more of what I have planned. It has the "quick attach" mount for the bucket on the hoe. I'm sure I would be better served with a 16-18 inch bucket. So my questions are, do I want a bucket for this mount or should I take it of so I can use a regular pin bucket? The 12 in bucket I have is worn pretty good. Looks like its the bucket hook that is worn and not the quick attach mount. Can that be repaired? So which bucket should I look for, is there any place I can find a used one or am I stuck buying from JD? How much am I looking at? Thanks for any and all opinions!

I ordered my 110 with a HD 20" QA bucket. Came with the part numbers (and label) from a JD27 excavator. Same-same.. If the QA mount is OK - stay with that configuration - IMO. You'll regret going thru the hassle (and expense) of going back to the old, pin-on bucket. PITA!

I'd also be a bit cautious of going with the 24" bucket. Depending upon most of your digging situations - not rocky or hard claypan, etc. - you might be just fine. But, if you find yourself working in harder, soil types with rocks - you won't be happy with a 24" bucket!

AKfish

/ JD 110 backhoe buckets
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm having fun with it. Still looking and thinking about the bucket.

/ JD 110 backhoe buckets #13  
You really need two buckets. Buy the one that will do 90% of your jobs first then save for the other. I'd go 24 then 12 later then ripper last

/ JD 110 backhoe buckets #14  
Good to have you here, nice to have another TLB110 owner.
I have the 18" on a quick connect system, I find the 110 can handle it ok for my soil( hard and rocky). I think a 24" would work in some softer soils well. if I had a chance to buy one at a good price I would but I think the 18" would still be the main one.
I found a 18" in Ontario on Kijiji for $550 (posted 12 nov.2012). There is a ytube channel (its not mine)called billstmax and he has a TLB110 with lots of videos posted. I have seen videos of him digging with a 30" bucket.

/ JD 110 backhoe buckets #15  
I run an 18" quick connect on my 110 and works great for majority of general dig jobs. I would suggest a 12" as well. I will be ballasting my tires soon because the hoe is so powerful it raises the tractor off the ground and breaks my neck on the landing if i'm not quick enough to feather it back down. I'm sure I'm not the only one it's happened to. Strong little sucker. My friend operates a 110 TLB for his septic business also and he runs a 36" quick connect with rock teeth. Trust me when I say the hoe has absolutely no problem with that 36" bucket. I can send video if anyone wants. I have no doubt in mind that anything under a 36" is completely fine for the machine. Most operators wouldn't need a 36" but those chambers are about 34" or something and for him it works beautifully. He actually bought the bucket from John Deere as a smooth edge bucket and added the teeth. He also bought a 12" bucket (Ditch Witch brand) and fabricated the quick attatch to that bucket. Looks like a factory job too! The 110 TLB is one awesome machine and I have really enjoyed owning one!! Hard to believe they discontinued that model. Tons of power and versatility in a compact tractor. One of the finest in my opinion if not The Finest TLB.

/ JD 110 backhoe buckets #16  
Like to know how the ballast work out...

If I'm not paying attention, the hoe will move the tractor like a rag doll...

Never tried my 24" bucket...ground is kind of rocky.

/ JD 110 backhoe buckets #17  
I will. I'm thinking it will solve some issues I've had with the hoe power to tractor weight ratio. Kinda like when you try to jump from a surface that wants to spring away from you...haha. I'm hoping it will completely change the feel of the back hoe. Also sick of the "tipsy" feeling when on a slope. Probably just me but I have almost tipped over carrying a heavy load low to the ground. Like 10" off the ground low. Dropped it quick! But I was only on about a 20 degree slope. I'll put 2 gallons of antifreeze (concentrate) in each rear tire and fill with water to top dead center of valve stem and 1 gallon in each front tire. Should make it a whole new tractor. I've put it off for too long thinking my rims would rust but not really worried about that! I need some weight. Tired of gettin' hoe tossed!! Plus should improve the traction tremendously.

/ JD 110 backhoe buckets #18  
Due to the prices ( 800-1000 ) on 24 " buckets I was going to build my own. My Bradco 611 came with a 16" bucket. As the price of another bucket over ran my budget I felt the 16" was a good choice for most work. I didn't know the machine had this kind of power. While looking for a used 24 I located a new left over that ended up in a local steel yard. The lift ears are not far enough apart so I will have to remodel it. I just could not resist a brand new bucket for $150.00 out the door. The 611 is attached to a New Holland TC 55 DA with a fabed subframe mount that extends to the front axle. Its an impressive machine that litterly rips out stumps, rocks, and buried cables if you are that fortunate. The 24 will be ready for testing in spring.

/ JD 110 backhoe buckets #20  
Having my Kubota rear tires foam filled improved hillside stability tremendously.

Having the same to the110 would likely cost thousands of dollars. I did the Kubota because I was tired of getting flats.

I too am concerned with rim rusting and loaded tires would put me over my tow limit.