JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #41  
I do know that for hot rods with side pipes that you need to have a support to keep them from vibrating too much or it can crack the exhaust manifold.

I have faith in Greg's knowledge in regards to how best make the connection between his new system and the factory one. Personally, I'd be a bit freaked out and probably use flexible pipe in there somewhere to take care of the engine movement in it's own mounts.

And I'm sure he'll add supports where needed.

Edit: I should have said engine vibration rather than movement since it's bolted solid. Sorry.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #42  
How about sticking the new pipe into a larger sch 40 pipe just at the last 8" or so? If rain is a worry, I think a valid concern you could put a tee up on or above the roof and maybe extend it to each side an inch or 2. I would think that would keep any rain out. A nut welded to the larger sch 40 pipe would allow you to run a bolt down to squeeze the new exh. pipe to keep it secure.
Google pictures of log skidders and look at the exhaust exit up on the sweeps/roof, I've seen them handle this in a similar fashion.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement
Im not concerned about engine movement, as it is solidly mounted to the "frame" of the tractor, and the same structure the exhaust system is/will be mounted to. The factory system has a large muffler directly atop the manifold, then a pipe down thru the engine compartment and out under the side panel. (Pictured in earlier posts) I plan to attach the new system in the same places, and in additional places along the limb risers, 2 or 3 is likely what may happen.

I'm not sure what the top exit will turn into... At this point I dont like what I have, but I also dont like the other options. I hate the idea of... (Drum roll please) Compromises!

I'm sure I will come up with a solution...

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #44  
I'm sure you will also. :)

After getting done cleaning horse stalls, I took the loader off (first time ever) for easier accessibility.

I took off the stock muffer and exhaust pipe.

I put the flange and elbow I built in place. Now I have a much better idea of what shape things will take getting out of the motor compartment.

I spent a bit more time on this this evening. I cut a few pieces of pipe...

Fitted them together, tacked, and once fitment was right, burned in all the seams.

And once it fit, welded it to the manifold flange piece. It now comes close to the stock exit point. Still need to fit a mounting tab at the bottom.

Due to the cold weather, I resisted the urge to start it up just to hear it... No need to add the cold start wear and tear just so I can get my jollies, and sit there grinning like jack@$$! I want to make sure the mounting tab is in place before I run it, and hope to have it finished this weekend. Hopefully before the horse stalls need cleaned again, or I need to haul a deer out of the woods.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #47  
I admire your patience and diligence Greg. I'm always tempted to shortcut. You never do. Nice work!!!

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #48  
There is a factory vertical system available. Im a cheap ba$t@rd, I'll likely have less than $10 invested in this... Ive got all the pipe 'in stock'! *grin*

No turbo, yet... Thats phase 2... That IS gonna cost a few bucks. But I'm also concerned about trying to make a 35 hp tractor out of one designed for its stock 27 hp. I run it hard as it is... What I really need is a bigger tractor.

Check the cross refence in the JD parts book to inquire if the same transmission and diff is used on a higher HP tractor.

Check the cross refence in the JD parts book to inquire if the same transmission and diff is used on a higher HP tractor.

The only other model that comes up (in my quick attempt to search) with the same transmission part number is a 670, with an 18hp engine.... Assuming I found the correct part number, and proper cross over list. AM876707 is the part number I found... Any further info on what other models that fits, and the hp/tq rating is welcome.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #50  
Have you thought about back pressure and burnt valves? I don't know enough about it to ask intelligent questions so I ask silly ones. I wonder what it will sound like. I had a '55 ford with a 292, a nice cam and straight pipes. It sounded good to me and loud to some but the cops liked it and let me slide by.