JD 3203 vs. New Holland TC30 vs. Kubota L3400

/ JD 3203 vs. New Holland TC30 vs. Kubota L3400 #11  
i have a L3400 gear now. I like it. a lot of tractor for the money.
i recently sold a smaller kubota with hst. if you plan much loader work the hst is worth the money.

i came very close to buying a tc-30 on more than one occasion. seems like a well built tractor alot of bang for the buck too.
the L3400 has a few more hp. both are economy, no frills, price point models.

/ JD 3203 vs. New Holland TC30 vs. Kubota L3400 #12  
If you plan on moving a lot of brush and downed trees, you might want to look at a grapple. I just got one and it sure saves me a lot of time in getting on and off the tractor.

I went with a little more HP as I have a lot of downed large trees, hills, and mud in the valley. However, if I did not have these obsticle and more time, a 30hp would have been fine. I did not get the HST as I ran out of money and opted for the more HP.

I got Industrial tires -- they are not as good in deap mud as the Ag tires I had on my last tractor but they work fine and don't tear the paths up as bad.

If you don't have a garage to park it in, try costco, I bought a 24 by 10 canopy garage there for $175 and it works great as a temporary tractor home.

Fun times with your search. I finished mine about 3 or 4 months ago.

/ JD 3203 vs. New Holland TC30 vs. Kubota L3400 #13  
JD says the 3203 uses a 300 FEL. Mine came with a 300X and a heavy duty bucket. I've used my FEL extensively in the couple of months I've owned the tractor (moved over 32 tons of 2" rock widening a 750' long driveway).

The operator presence system will shut the PTO off if you leave the seat. For me that's a must (teen-aged daugter operators who will use that tractor when I'm not around). The same system can hinder productivity though. Plenty of applications require you to be out of the saddle with the PTO engaged and the 3203 won't allow this. If that affects you look into the
790. It's a real nice tractor and has a operator presence override. While smaller and lighter than the 3203 it gives you the same PTO hp (many owners have raved about this tractor; it's worth a serious look).

The hydrostatic trans is REALLY convenient when using the bucket, it saves all sorts of time. On the flip-side, you give up 8 PTO hp for the hydrostat.
(again, see JD 790)

In an attempt to keep this post from gong on all night, let me sumarize. I really like my 3203. It has it's pros and cons, just so happens that the pros WAY outweigh the cons for my purposes. Give a hollar if you'd like some more bias of my biased opinions.

Good luck

/ JD 3203 vs. New Holland TC30 vs. Kubota L3400
DVR said:
i came very close to buying a tc-30 on more than one occasion. seems like a well built tractor alot of bang for the buck too.
the L3400 has a few more hp. both are economy, no frills, price point models.

DVR - curious What made you go with the Kubota over the TC-30?

I drove the Kubota and JD this weekend and must say both seem nice. I like the turning on the JD the way the front tires are setup. The kubota however seemed a little more robust. It would be nice to see all 3 tractors in a run off working on the farm head to head.

I think besides the physical ability of each tractor I will now research the resale value of each. any opinions would be great.

/ JD 3203 vs. New Holland TC30 vs. Kubota L3400 #15  
RAD10 said:

I drove the Kubota and JD this weekend and must say both seem nice. I like the turning on the JD the way the front tires are setup. The kubota however seemed a little more robust. It would be nice to see all 3 tractors in a run off working on the farm head to head.

I think besides the physical ability of each tractor I will now research the resale value of each. any opinions would be great.

I buy for long term reliability, and Kubota ranks #1 with me; the L series I have don't break!

Any thoughts on a Massey Ferguson? Are these tractors worth looking at or should I just stay with the 3 i'm looking at?

Thanks

/ JD 3203 vs. New Holland TC30 vs. Kubota L3400 #17  
RAD10 said:
Any thoughts on a Massey Ferguson? Are these tractors worth looking at

Sure Massey Ferguson is worth looking at.
Kioti is another brand worth looking at.

/ JD 3203 vs. New Holland TC30 vs. Kubota L3400 #18  
RAD10 said:

Just my $.02.. I compared the JD790, TC-30 & L3400 when I did this all a year ago.

According to the NH website, the TC-30 does not have live power. Every time you stop to change gears, back up, etc... The PTO implement stops with the same push of the clutch. Depending on what you're running, it might take some momentum to get it spinning again.

The JD 790 seems a lot smaller. My uncle bought one in the fall of '05, and compared to my L3400, it feels cramped, especially when getting on & off. Even though I'm only 5'9", I usually have the seat maxed out all the way in every vehicle I drive. On the 3400, it's actually all the way forward.

For me, it all came down to which economy model I felt was streching my $$$ the furthest.

Thanks Adiredneck, I agree the 790 seems small. I liked some things about the JD 3203 but am leaning toward the L3400 right now. The info on the NH is good.

I am going to take one more round this week and go visit the dealers in the same day and view each of the tractors and then make my decission.

Can you tell me what you use with your L3400, it would be great to understand how it is used and any pros and cons that i can compare to my needs.

/ JD 3203 vs. New Holland TC30 vs. Kubota L3400 #20  
i felt like the L3400 gave me the most bang for the buck. i got a great deal on it too.