JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers?

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #21  
dirtworksequip said:
Nuru, I was scared of my JD 3520 just running around on level ground with the was it was set up from the factory. I don't consider myself scared easily either. I also had 11 years expericence and 2100 hours on a JD 870.

32.6 degrees side slope with a JD 455
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/dirtworksequip/P1010040.jpg

The unverferth wheel extensions where a must for me. Of course the 3520 will do only about half the 32.6.

Sincerely,
Dirt

Gee, my slope is not that bad, but again, it is steep!

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #22  
Gravity chains and gravity weights.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #23  
dirtworksequip said:
Nuru, I was scared of my JD 3520 just running around on level ground with the was it was set up from the factory. I don't consider myself scared easily either. I also had 11 years expericence and 2100 hours on a JD 870.

32.6 degrees side slope with a JD 455
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/dirtworksequip/P1010040.jpg

The unverferth wheel extensions where a must for me. Of course the 3520 will do only about half the 32.6.

Sincerely,
Dirt

Hos do you accurately measure a slop like this? This is as close a pic to my pond sides as I have seen.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #24  
Hi:

There may be an easier way to do this, but this will work. Take a board of a known length (let's say a 2x4x8). Place it on the slope and hold it level. Measure the distance between the downslope side and the ground vertically (plumb). Divide this distance by the length of the board. Then on a scientific calculator (or a computer) take the inverse tangent (TAN) of this number.

I.E. Let's say it was 8 feet across the board and 8 feet down to the ground. 8/8 = 1. the Inverse Tangent of 1 is 45 = 45 degree angle. If it was 8 feet across and 4 feet down 4/8 = .5, inv Tan of .5 = 26.5... degrees.

Oh, and make sure the calculator is in DEGREES, and not in Rads or Gradients or this won't work... ;)

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #25  
dirtworksequip said:

The 870 was more stable? That's rather surprising since the 3xxx series aren't that much bigger then the 870 tractor.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #26  
Roy, I could take the JD 870 places I would not even attempt with the 3520. Now even with the 4 inch extensions there are a couple of places that I still won't go with the 3520.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #27  
dirtworksequip said:
Roy, I could take the JD 870 places I would not even attempt with the 3520. Now even with the 4 inch extensions there are a couple of places that I still won't go with the 3520.

Sincerely, Dirt

Dirt,

Is that because your 3520 is a cab model, or would you feel the same way regardless, even if it was an open station model?

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #28  
RoyJackson said:
The 870 was more stable? That's rather surprising since the 3xxx series aren't that much bigger then the 870 tractor.

Roy, those cab models look very cool, but stock, they are very easy to rock from side to side due to the high CG. I thought my local dealer was gonna send one over on its side showing me how easy it was to rock them without the wheel spacers.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #29  
superduper,I'm sure the cab model is somewhat easier to roll just because of the higher center of gravity. I've never run an open station 3520 so I really can't say how it would feel compared to the cab 3520 or my old 870. It would be interesting to see just how much difference the cab makes.

Sincerely,
Dirt

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #30  
Good technical pics dirt. I am gonna try my unit out with the turf tires this weekend and see if the spacers are still required.

Hey Nuru did you end up getting the spacers? I am picking up my machine soon at the dealer and I asked for good turf tires. Is it the R4 tires that make this machine more tippy then the turf tires would be?