JD 4600 w/460 loader bucket tilt problem

/ JD 4600 w/460 loader bucket tilt problem
I ordered the seals at JD today and they asked about the serial # but I had the numbers from the cylinders themselves. Where is the serial # on the loader? I also have a co-worker that said he has replaced seals in this type of cylinder and they can be a PITA.

/ JD 4600 w/460 loader bucket tilt problem #22  
Here is a video that shows that wire lock ring in the older JD cylinders.

And another

And another

And another

And another (hope the OP doesn't have that lock wire, but if so, these should help for understanding.

Last edited:
The last video matches my cylinders. Thanks for doing all the research for me.
After watching the videos, I called and ordered a couple of those ring locks just in case. Those things are around $20 each and non-returnable.
Oh well, there's always ebay if they aren't used. :)

Last edited:
   / JD 4600 w/460 loader bucket tilt problem #24  
As mentioned if bolts are in both sides of round cross rod : no way can left & right cylinders work independently.

That’s your problem if joystick valve isn’t sticking.

Talked with gentleman rebuilding the cylinders and the nut came off the problem cylinder piston causing the lack of coordination between them.

Picked up cylinders on Monday. One cylinder had the nut completely off the end of the ram and the other one only had a few threads left holding it on. One of the wire locks came out easily and of course the other side took a bunch more work. The guy that rebuilt them apologized for the pipe wrench marks on the one cylinder plug.
I sealed the wire lock windows with silicone adhesive, replaced the broken roll pin with a grade 8 bolt, installed new grease zerks, added some lo-vis hydraulic oil and the bucket works better than it ever has.
Overall cost was around $450.

/ JD 4600 w/460 loader bucket tilt problem #27  
General question - I’ve always had behavior where the two loader attachments would move as others have described. I’ve always thought that was normal and haven’t had any issues. Is there a maintenance interval or things to look for to verify that there arn’t problems? I keep everything greases, etc, and haven’t noticed any leaking of fluid anywhere.

Also - how long do the hoses last on the loader before they should be replaced? I blew one 10 years ago, replaced it, and haven’t had an issue since. The JD dealer said you only replace them when they leak.

Thanks.

/ JD 4600 w/460 loader bucket tilt problem #28  
rmonio
I’ve always had behavior where the two loader attachments would move as others have described.

Meaning the cylinders were not synched?
They have a rod connecting both that keeps them in synch, unless the bolt has been sheared off.
(see reply #2)

/ JD 4600 w/460 loader bucket tilt problem #29  
Hoses can last 1 day or 1 decade, there is no 'time' to change them. If they leak or blow-then you change them.

/ JD 4600 w/460 loader bucket tilt problem #30  
Also - how long do the hoses last on the loader before they should be replaced? I blew one 10 years ago, replaced it, and haven’t had an issue since. The JD dealer said you only replace them when they leak.
I have had hoses last for many years after you see the outer reinforcement matrix. Old Kubotas for some reason. Then, I have had new hoses I bought develop cracks and leak in 3 years. Crappy rubber.

If your tractor sleeps outside, it is best to keep the sun off the hoses. UV and ozone both conspire to destroy rubber.

I am with the dealer: only replace when leaking.