JD X500 Series

/ JD X500 Series #1  

BrokerBob

Tractor
Kubota BX1800
I will open by acknowledging that I own a BX1800 and so I'm hooked on Kubota. The purpose of my post is to share an observation. This past weekend I stopped by the John Deere dealer in my area and I saw the new X-series. It was a nice looking machine.

I then went on the Deere website and priced out the X595. This is the unit which is most comparable to the BX1800 and BX2200. It comes with a 24 hp Yanmar diesel and 4wd. Adding the rear pto and 3PH with a 54" MMM, the total comes to almost $14,000 list! The list price for the equivalent BX is around $2,000 less.

Certainly Deere provides a broader series of choices and the buyer can add features as needed, however, the whole package doesn't come cheap. Why would someone buy X500 series if they can get the same thing at Kubota for less?

/ JD X500 Series #2  
I wouldnt think twice about spending 2k more for a great
American name like John Deere,I live in Iowa and green
runs very deep around here.Other American names at my
house are Harley Davidson and Chevorlet....just my 2cents.
PS I hope you bought Harley stock last September.
Buy American,it needs us

/ JD X500 Series #3  
Bob,I also own a BX2200.I also stopped by and checked out the X-Series.You're right when you say it's a very good looking machine,that green and yellow paint is sharp.But,it has a one range Hydro,400 lbs. max. lift on the 3-point,I can't find any specs on the FEL,but I'm sure it won't be up to par with the BX.You can't mow in reverse without engaging a lever on the dash.
One thing about Deere,everything is extra,4WD,rear PTO,3-point,front Hydraulic ports.

Did I say that it sure was pretty? I almost forgot,it does have a port to plug in your cell phone...

/ JD X500 Series #4  
DHR,I agree with you 100%,I have been a Union Member for 25 years.We drive Ford and Chevy,and wish I had a Harley,or even some of their stock.I've always try to buy Made in the U.S.A. when ever possable.I have nothing against the Deere company or name.

I live in middle of Ag country just South of you in Missouri,and believe me,Deere is the brand of choice by the majority of the best farmers in our area.

My problem is our one and only Dealer that is close by.I have have tried to buy from them on several occasions (5 mowers or compacts in the past 10 years).

They only talk in terms of list price and list only,it's their way or the hiway.So,I've always taken the hiway,I know I could get a little better price by driving a ways,but I would just as soon spend our money at home.

/ JD X500 Series #5  
Hmmmm? And the X series is selling so fast Deere can't keep up. Hmmmm? Guess I'll go figure!

/ JD X500 Series #6  
Its too bad when a company has a product that is in high
demand (JD & Harley) that they put a high retail price on
there products and stick to it.I don't mind paying
retail for a good product as long as it has high resale or
trade value.I just sold a JD2640 that I used for 3 years,
never cost me a dime in break downs and made $3800.00
I couldn't afford not to buy green again.No I don't expect
to make money on the new 4310 I bought,but its a good
feeling that JD depreciates less that any other tractor here in
eastern Iowa

/ JD X500 Series #7  
BrokerBob...

<font color=green>Why would someone buy X500 series if they can get the same thing at Kubota for less?</font color=green>

I guess, simply because previous JD owners are extremely happy with JD's reliability and top notch quality. Spending the extra $2K is worth it to them. I've received the x500 series promotional literature in the mail and if I was going to replace my JD425 I would buy one of these new JD units. Since 1995, never had a single problem with the 425. I appreciate it's reliabilty and if I could get the same from the x500 machines, it's well worth the extra $2K, at least for me that is.

Bob

/ JD X500 Series #8  
I think what people are forgetting on the other side is that the kubota dealers don't move off of list price either. Yes the price may be cheaper in the beginning but from my own personal experience the kubota dealers are just as arrogant as the deere dealers.

/ JD X500 Series
There were many interesting responses to my posting. Not to be construed as a rebuttal, I offer the following comments:
1) My reason for the initial post was just to point out that on this particular product category, it would appear that Kubota offers more bang for the buck.
2) It never occurred to me that there could possibly be an issue of patriotism here. If I'm not mistaken, both machines are manufactured in the U.S.. The engines, however, in all cases are manufactured abroad.
3) I know there is brand loyalty of varying degrees throughout the country and among different individuals. This kind of loyalty is earned over many years by manufacturers and their dealers. I would suggest, however, that loyalty not be a substitute for judgement. The reason why U.S. built automobiles and trucks are so good today is because competition demanded it. Consumers benefit from competition only if they vote with their pocketbooks.
4) My comparison was between "list" prices. Dealers will likely only discount if they need to (we're talking the benefits of competition again). It is obvious to me that whether you are green, orange or blue; there are great dealers out there as well as the other kind.

It seems to me that when Kubota introduced the BX1800 and BX2200 series they were creating a new standard within a new category of tractor. Further, they elected to offer two (2) models both equipped with the same features; the only difference being the horsepower. Deere has taken a somewhat different route giving the consumer a range of powerplants and features to chose from. Further, like autos in the 50's and 60's; you "build" your own tractor by selecting a dizzying range of options. Deere has taken one approach. Kubota another. When all is said and done; if you want all of the features incorporated in the BX series; I don't think Deere can touch it for the price.

/ JD X500 Series #10  
DRH36
i have to tell you that i went to kubota because my none of my local deere dealers would take my JD as a trade! where my kubota dealer fipped out casue one of his guys was looking for a an old deere to play with.....so my trade was o.