JD X500 Series

/ JD X500 Series #11  
For what it's worth, when my JD dealer was delivering a new bagging system to me 3 weeks ago, I asked him why a new series like the X500 would be so expensive compared with the BX1800-2200 Kubotas when outfitted with rear PTO, 3PH, etc.
He said that the 500 series is aimed more at the top end of the traditional garden tractor market and that so far John Deere has not competed directly with the BX1800-2200 - but that something is in the works. Within a year there will be a new JD line aimed directly at the BX1800-2200 line. He says it will be worth the wait.

/ JD X500 Series #12  
I would think that they would be able to compete directly with Kubota by just lowering the price, without a new model that might be less capable than the X500 series. That would save on the Design and development costs, and the model is already in the field. Might smoke off the people who bought them already, but it would sure make sense to do it and not make a new model.

/ JD X500 Series #13  
Price aggression/competition might be a good thing for JD right about now. The BX line has blossumed and it sounds like (listen very carefully....) somebody will make a new noise in the bridge market between the best subcompact and the best/biggest GT. What is your best guess? I think (with uninhibited conjecture) an unknown will break the stalemate. Maybe compacts will begin to articulate and drop their primary shafts and belts for high-volume pumps that move light-weight, clean oil...y'ah think???

/ JD X500 Series #14  
I've been casually shopping for a compact tractor for a couple years now, and as soon as my wife breaks down and lets me drop anywhere form 10 to 25K for a new toy, I'll buy a new tractor. I'm not a farmer, just a guy with some land who likes big toys. I have looked at red, green, gold, blue and several shades of orange, but primarily green and traditional orange. I weigh 325 lbs, and have developed a simple test for a tractor to make my initial cut. All I do is step onto the tractor, and see if it feels solid. The 4200 and larger JDs have scored the best on my simple test with zero flex. I love KB's lower prices per feature and multiple dealers in my area, but they have performed the worst in my testing. Every KB from the BX1800 to the B2910 flexes so much that when I step on them that I fear the fenders will fall-off in a couple of years. They probably won't, but when I saw the fender of a B2910 drop 3+ inches when stepped onto the tractor, it was disturbing. Anyway, I stepped onto an X585 JD today and its flex was minimal, similar to a much larger MF. I don't care much about the green versus orange debate, but when my wife finally cracks, I'll buy the tractor that I feel the best about. Right now, green has the edge, but I'll keep my eyes out for any unbiased posts that may provide insight.

I mentioned MF, the larger ones (32-35hp) performed decently, but there aren't any dealers near my home to warrant serious consideration.

Just wanted to provide a different perspective.

/ JD X500 Series #15  
Big Dave...

<font color=red> mentioned MF, the larger ones (32-35hp) performed decently, but there aren't any dealers near my home to warrant serious consideration.</font color=red>

I wouldn't so easily discount the MFs from consideration due to distance. I bought my JD4710 from a dealer that was 70 miles away. I'm glad I did. He offered the best price on the tractor package and free delivery as well. It may be prudent to shop around within a 90 minute drive of your place to see what the MF dealers have to offer. They may even throw in free delivery. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Just a thought to consider.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ JD X500 Series #16  
In regards to the price of the new JD X-series, I just took delivery of my X595 (w/ HDAP tires) this past Saturday. The price I paid: $10,875. That is approximately $2000+ off the sticker! And this is for a highly-sought-after model! As far as I am concerned there is only one color, and that color is green! Coincidentally, that is the same color as all of that money that I saved!

/ JD X500 Series
"New User"
Your post gave just enough information to catch one's attention, but not enough to arrive at any conclusion! Having looked at the X500 series on the JD website and also seeing one of the X400 series up close, it's a nice looking machine. The point of my post, however, was one of relative value. What did you get with your X595? MMM? 3PH? Rear PTO? FEL?

I know that JD makes machines far superior to the Kubota BX. The question is whether the X595 can come even close to the BX feature for feature and $ for $. So far I am not yet convinced.

/ JD X500 Series #18  
<font color=blue>I know that JD makes machines far superior to the Kubota BX.<font color=black>

Seems this statement answers any question about the price being higher. I like the JD line, but didn't think it was "far superior" to the Kubota BX. Superior - yes (IMO).

/ JD X500 Series #19  
Justufying the extra cost for perceived or actual higher qualitty on anything is the hardest part. The BX is a great design and great value, no doubt about that. My 445 is still flawless for all I have put her through and I have absolutely no desire to compare it to any other tractor. It rumbles under my rump, it's paid for, and I'll be sad to see her go sometime in the next year when I "graduate." If I were shopping for something in the subcompact range, I'd probably have to wait until next fall to hear first-hand reports on the X5XX series, the MAssey Ferguson units, and the smaller Boomers. It seems that the BX is tough, but not bulletproof. To avoid the flames, I'll say obligitorily that the BX is the result of true genius in product positioning for catering to a market Deere has avoided for years. It may not be this year, but the natural laws of business and economics always includes a predictable product lifecycle and a process of natural selection, just like old Darwin said. Maybe the BX just gets better, maybe somebody else steps up. There was another post about BX quality somewhere on the Kubota board that seems to identify a few chronic issues with design and assembly, but that will happen with any tractor. Sometimes it's a numbers game because unit sales are high. Sometimes it's a flaw in engineering that haunts a model. If I were shopping right now, I would look and listen very closely to BX issues about steering and the 3PH design. I'd also watch for something similar to surface with the X series.

My $ 0.03125 adjusted for inflation.

/ JD X500 Series #20  
I too have been shopping for a new tractor for some time. Currently, I own a GT275 garden tractor and a 318. My next purchase will most likely be a BX22 (BX2200 with hoe). To me, the primary difference between the Kubota BX series and the Deere X series is the base line from which each was created. It appears that the BX series is a scaled down compact and the X series is a scaled up 400 series. For example - the BX cools the hydro by both a fan and by running fluid through the radiator like all their compacts, as far as I can tell, the X series just uses a fan like a garden tractor. I also find it irritating that one needs to negotiate a 3 pt, rear PTO, etc. for a unit that has a 24 HP diesel and 4WD. Does Deere really think that some one is going to spend that kind of money and not want to use implements and a rear PTO? Sure, as noted above, the BX series had several minor introductory defects such as the geometry of the 3 pt, a leaky overfill tank and improper surface roughness of a steering valve. Any new unit will have issues.What is important to me is how the manufacture addresses them. The rate at which Kubota provided warranty remedies and incorporated the fix back into production is impressive. They immediately recognized the short coming, took ownership of it and fixed it. For a while, I was following the thread on the tire scuffing / dragging issue on the 4200 and up series. The last that I read is that Deere would only provide a fix for units purchased with a mower deck - thats pathetic. Furthermore, Kubota tractors are built on a Kubota frame with a Kubota engine and a Kubota drive train. In contrast, the primary components on a Deere are a collection of various manufacturers; this makes it more difficult to get things changed when a problem is found. By the time Deere and the vendor figure out whos responsibility it is, the customer grows impatient. If it is a spec. problem I am sure that the vendor continues to provide units to Deere until the contracted run is complete and then a change is incorporated. I believe this is why Deere discontinued the 4000 series so soon. It was easier to come up with a whole new tractor series then to renegotiate supplier agreements; plus, you can add all the latest bells and whistles and try to gain market advantage. I have kept a pretty close eye on both the Kubota and Deere forums and it appears to me that Deere's compacts have many more issues.