John Deere 110 vs Kubota M59

/ John Deere 110 vs Kubota M59
Ok - I went out and took a look at a lot of different options today. Left at about 10 and just got back around 3 so a nice 5 hour trip. Took a look at a lot of different things.

I looked at a couple full sized - Ford 555D was most notable, 4x4 no cab or ext. hoe for $12k. It was huge way bigger than I would want. There's a lot of soft areas and I'd be afraid that it would just sink right in. Plus being in areas so tight it would be near impossible to operate around in there.

Looked at a new Kubota M59, although I'd be looking for a good used deal I just wanted to get a feel of size. Honestly yesterday I would have told you I was leaning towards the M59 for the HP and power but I wasn't sold on it. This one didn't have any of the optional remotes. It was still a little large size and it didn't feel as nice as I'd thought. I really didn't like the rocker, wasn't as comfortable as the twin touch. Sure it is just habit and I could get used to it but didn't like it at all. I wasn't sold on it.

At the same place they had an L39, no L45 though, I wish they did as that was more the size I wanted. L39 was too small and really didn't like it wasn't HST. Really wasn't considering this one so not sure what remotes it had.

Same place also had some used L48's so I went and looked at them and they were not for me. Just didn't seem very nice. Not sure what remotes this had either it wasn't on the list.

Went down south a little while and saw a JCB MIDI CX which just happened to be at the same place where there was a 110. I like the MIDI and I liked that it had a remote on the FEL, but none on the BH. The JCB looked like the best designed of all of them. Really like the way the deck was flat and the seat just spun around to the BH. Looked like a smaller full size JCB with how well everything was integrated. I really wish it was HST though. And don't like that its only 25 HP at the PTO. This would be a lot nicer if it wasn't $35k.

My favorite was obviously the 110. My Deere bias aside I thought of all the ones I looked at today it would do the job the best. It's a much better size than a full size and could easily get it through my trails. I wouldn't want that 110 as it didn't have any of the remotes but I really like it besides that. The one thing I was wondering is how you flip the seat over.

I definitely am favoring the 110 right now but am still open to others if a good deal pops up. Those were all just quick first impressions but thats where I stand right now.

The machine I was referring to was this one that AKfish found in New York which has the rear remotes, thumb, front aux hydraulics 7 function hoe and the three point hitch, it says hydraulic hitch did you call to see if the is tnt? Whoever bought the unit loaded it out and may have the topntilt hitch. Looks to have the bellypan and hoe bucket qa too.

Cylinder guards are an option and worthwhile too. These can be easliy added after the fact.

John Deere 110 Tractor Loader Backhoe with Hydraulic Thumb, 3 Point Hitch, 4wd | eBay

Yes, I did look at this one, forgot about that. Never did call, totally forgot:(

I'll call about it on monday.

I should also add would you pay 7k more for that machine rather than the one for 19.5k?

/ John Deere 110 vs Kubota M59 #34  
I have had a 110 for about eight years. Lots of digging and overloading. I have everything on it. A couple of observations. Can't really take out big stumps unless they have rotted a few years. Hydraulics move much faster than the Ks partly because they aren't dampened as much at the extemes. If you buy a unit without the stabilizer guards, I would plan on replacing the cylinders. The creep to reposition from the backhoe seat is indispensable. This feature alone increases productivity 4x. I can dig trenches almost as fast as a mini ex. which is absolutely unheard of on a tractor. If you can get a nice loaded 110 for 30k it is a steal. You will never regret, and you will laugh when you next use an L39 or 48. One tip the belly pan has no access for the hydraulic return screen. Instead of removing the pan drill a 4-5 inch hole for future access. The pan gets deformed and is a pain to replace once removed.
I am not really current on these things, but a K salesman once told me those creep to repos are dangerous and would never meet osha standards. I'm not sure if any other machine has such a function.

/ John Deere 110 vs Kubota M59 #35  
Or 26k... but go take a look at hoses and seals...

whoodle said:
I have had a 110 for about eight years. Lots of digging and overloading. I have everything on it. A couple of observations. Can't really take out big stumps unless they have rotted a few years. Hydraulics move much faster than the Ks partly because they aren't dampened as much at the extemes. If you buy a unit without the stabilizer guards, I would plan on replacing the cylinders. The creep to reposition from the backhoe seat is indispensable. This feature alone increases productivity 4x. I can dig trenches almost as fast as a mini ex. which is absolutely unheard of on a tractor. If you can get a nice loaded 110 for 30k it is a steal. You will never regret, and you will laugh when you next use an L39 or 48. One tip the belly pan has no access for the hydraulic return screen. Instead of removing the pan drill a 4-5 inch hole for future access. The pan gets deformed and is a pain to replace once removed.
I am not really current on these things, but a K salesman once told me those creep to repos are dangerous and would never meet osha standards. I'm not sure if any other machine has such a function.

The new Kubotas have a creep to reposition system.

And you CAN'T take out big stumps? That's what I need to do primarily. What about digging around it?

Did you buy yours new? And if you don't mind me asking how much you paid with all the hydro options new just for leverage with the dealer.

/ John Deere 110 vs Kubota M59 #37  
I'll have to check out those creep functions on the Ks. I did buy new. 4n1, tnt, thumb, 84 inch bucket, 36 cleanout, 24 inch, all guards, block heater, forks. Somehow i think it was about 54k.

/ John Deere 110 vs Kubota M59 #38  
Oh yeah, the stumps. If it's going to take all day, I consider that can't do it.

/ John Deere 110 vs Kubota M59 #39  
... The OP is looking for a good used unit for his sitework and yes the 110 has been discontinued.

FWIW, the 110 TLB is still listed as an available product at deere.com and I've heard no one talking about them being discontinued here in New England. In fact, I know someone speaking with a dealer about ordering one witha custom configuration.

I'll have to check out those creep functions on the Ks. I did buy new. 4n1, tnt, thumb, 84 inch bucket, 36 cleanout, 24 inch, all guards, block heater, forks. Somehow i think it was about 54k.

Wow! Nice machine! You got er all loaded up, I'm jealous. Having trouble enough finding a machine with all the remotes let alone a 4n1, std bucket, 2 rear buckets, forks. No chance you'd want to let me have it is there?:laughing:

Oh yeah, the stumps. If it's going to take all day, I consider that can't do it.

This is kind of hard to hear. What do you consider a big stump? 2' around + or are we talking pretty much any stump? I have 25 acres of nice mature trees, I don't want to take them all down but its all just land so I have to take em out to at least make some trails. Good thing I'm not on a schedule!

FWIW, the 110 TLB is still listed as an available product at deere.com and I've heard no one talking about them being discontinued here in New England. In fact, I know someone speaking with a dealer about ordering one witha custom configuration.

110 is to be discontinued at the end of the year. No "formal" announcement has been made but it's pretty well known.