Comparison John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #11  
You are quite correct that the Max is a much bigger tractor than the deere 1026.

You should be comparing that MAX to the deere 2320 or 2520. Much better comparision. Not sure what that would do to you on price, but a better comparison nonetheless. Sure the deere 1026 looks like a toy to the max. But the max looks like a toy to a deere 3320. Just compare apples to apples, drive them all you may have an interest in, and buy what you are comfortable with.

You are right, LD. But, at some point they become so small that they are just lawn mowers (toys for most other tractor tasks), and that's what I think of the 1026r. I'd rather have the x749 for mowing, and the loader on the 1026r isn't very useful beyond hauling mulch, and you had better have some counterweight too. I feel the same way about BX's and the smallest B's in the Kubota lineup. Subcuts compromise everything. They aren't great at anything.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #12  
So which Mahindra is compared to the John Deere 1026 or the Kubota 2660?
NONE. Mahindra doesnt make a tractor that small. The MAX is their smallest, and it is the size of the B-series kubotas or the 2x20 series JD's.

You are right, LD. But, at some point they become so small that they are just lawn mowers (toys for most other tractor tasks), and that's what I think of the 1026r. I'd rather have the x749 for mowing, and the loader on the 1026r isn't very useful beyond hauling mulch, and you had better have some counterweight too. I feel the same way about BX's and the smallest B's in the Kubota lineup. Subcuts compromise everything. They aren't great at anything.

You are right they are small. But that must be what a lot of folks want, since they are so popular.

Having a lawnmower that can move mulch with a FEL sure beats the heck out of a wheelbarrow.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help
I am not looking for a huge tractor to plow 10 acres of land or more, I just figured if I am going to spend $7,000+ on a new rider I rather spend more and get something I can use besides mow my yard. I really would like to get a brush hog new or used but every dealer I got to say a 4' max is the most for the sub compacts, I would love to have a loader too, to move some dirt, or smooth out some ground, I am not digging a lake. I am open for suggestions on what to buy price is the big factor, I am willing to buy one used if it has low hours. I saw a New Holland TZ25DA Compact Tractor W/Front Loader and Mid Mount 60" Mower with 181 hours for $10,000 on craigslist and a Kubota 2660 with 60" mower, loader, rear blade and only 54 hours for $11,500. I may pay up to $15K for a new one but I would rather pay less but don't want to get a piece of junk either cause I won't have much money to spend on repairs if I spend $15K for a new one. I been looking for 2 months and now I need to do some more looking and comparing.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #14  
My first tractor was a New Holland TC24D with a 60' mmm, 60" Woods Loader, 60" Woods brush hog, and a 84" york rake. I like that machine a lot. If its in decent shape and mechanically sound, I'd take a hard look at it, but if you're not mechanical in nature, and want a warranty, the JD 1026R is a great buy. you'll likely do better on the price when you put pen to paper at the deere dealer.

That said, The X748SE is a FANTASTIC lawn mower with a 7-Iron deck on it, and you could always rent a machine for the little bit of work you plan on doing with your "lawn Mower"

BTW, I currently have a $35,000 lawn mower :) You can use me as fodder for your wife if you like :)

If I actually owed a sub compact I am sure I will use it a lot more than just a few times a year. I am not mechanically inclined but have a guy that retired from the john deere dealer that charges much less to work on them. What about the John Deere 2210 with less than 300 hours on it? Is it a decent machine like I said I will mainly be doing removing snow, moving some dirt now and then, leveling off ground and brush hogging. I have 4 more acres of land and in my free time I like to go out and cut trees and clear more land so I can have more to mow but I will need to brush hog it after clearing out the trees I don't want. Then I level the ground with my loader or bring in new dirt to spread to level it out. I always thought I wanted a JD 2305 but then saw the 1026 but the wife wasn't too keen on that idea. I want something that will fit my needs, not break my budget and won't break down all the time. Now that I found this board I am even more confused to what to buy. I went to the JD dealer in person and I told him I would pay cash and $15,750 was the best he could do that included the $750 rebate. I would be willing to travel 4-6 hours away to buy one cheaper. Another local dealer wanted a $1,000 more. I saw a 1026 at Mutton Supply up in Indiana for less than $15K but it only had the 54" deck, and not the auto connect or quick disconnect deck.

How hard is it to connect and disconnect the mower decks and the loader? I was thinking if I would go without the auto connect things on the JD 1026 that would bring the price down. I am not mechanically inclined so I don't want to spend and hour out there trying to take off or put on my loader or mower deck. I prolly will leave on my mower deck expect when I brush hog and prolly will only put the loader on when I want to use it, I will use the brush hog for counter weight. Is it worth the extra money to buy the 1026 over the 1023? Sorry for so many questions just want to get the right one.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #17  

We own tractors up to the M8540 and don't consider a SCUT a toy. We have used our BX for a lot of work and wouldn't think of trading it for anything other than another SCUT. For some a compromise is just the right machine; it was and is for us as we are on our third.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #18  
We own tractors up to the M8540 and don't consider a SCUT a toy. We have used our BX for a lot of work and wouldn't think of trading it for anything other than another SCUT. For some a compromise is just the right machine; it was and is for us as we are on our third.

Clearly, there are thousands who disagree and go with SCUTS. I'm sure it suits them well. Just not me, at least not for my current situation. I struggled with: just get one machine that can do everything. Couldn't come to grips with the compromises. So, I offer a different view point: I'd rather buy two used machines better suited to their tasks than a new SCUT that compromises on both ends. For example: JD455 AWS $5K, JD955 w/loader $10K. For same money you get a dedicated outstanding mower that you don't have to fool with changing implements, extremely stable, fast tight mowing, fits under low hanging branches: best mower there is. And in the 955 you get a tractor big enough to do real tractor work without having to remove implements all the time. To me (maybe just me), this is way smarter than a SCUT that does everything OK, won't handle the bigger digging jobs, and requires constant reconfiguration from task to task. I'd shoot myself it I had to put on and take off a midmount mower every week. PITA no matter how well designed. LOts of other combinations that accomplish the same thing. Of course this means two machines to maintain and store. No free lunch; I guess.

Note to the OP on digging with a loader: not the correct tool. Won't work effectively at all on a SCUT (too light). Barely works on larger tractors and is very hard on the loader. Digging is best done with a boxblade or backhoe. Loaders are for loading. Don't be disillusioned that you'll get much digging/earth moving done with just a loader on a SCUT.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #19  
There are many reasons to get ONE peice of equipment vs 2 used ones.

You dont get a warrenty going used, more to maintain, might not have garage space, etc.

No one said a scut is a compromise either. For some, yea they may be compromising. But for someone who just wants to maintain a yard, move mulch for flower beds, pick up sticks/twigs in the fall, pull a lawn roller, and push some snow out from in front of the garage in the winter.....a SCUT is hardly a compromise. You dont need a JD995 to cart mulch to a flowerbed, or push a little snow. Infact, for "YARD" work, the lighter the better.

So I guess I'd as you (gittyup) as to why you compromised on your mower and tractor?? Why didnt you get a ZTR and a 100HP+ tractor with a loader???

I agree with TripleR that guys dont like their equipment being called toys in that sense either. But there are two definitions of "toy" when it comes to tractors.

For example: It is okay to say...look at my new toy and be refering to your equipent.

It is NOT okay to say: That thing is SOO small compared to my tractor that its just a toy.

See the difference?

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #20  
Just looked at just about all of them. I liked the Deeres for Mid decks but they are expensive to buy. I don't have a lot of obstacles in the yard so I ended up with a larger tractor and finishing mower. I like finishing mowers because for me the weak link has always been the mower deck. The tractors run forever. It will be tough to find new for 15k or under with what you want out the door. I got what i think was a good deal on tractor,fel and finishing mower and came in right below 15k with tax. Went with the Mahindra 2516 over the Deere because of price. You may be able to find a smaller left over new for your price range but with that said I would not have gone Mahindra with a mid mount mower. If I went used i would go with a little larger tractor because the price won't be much different from the 2305. The cut's can get in tight places and I didn't find the B seried Kubotas, 2320 Deeres, or 2516 Mahindra's size to be a big issue. I thought weight may be but no issues with tearing up the grass and its nice to have a little more umph with a little larger machine.