Comparison John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help
I think I am more confused now on what to buy than I was before I posted. I know a SCUT is not going to do the work of a "real" tractor, but I don't plan on digging any lakes, plowing any fields, or even using it on a farm. I have 11 acres total and 1/2 of it is wooded which I am working on in my free time clearing out all the small trees so I can get a brush hog thru it. People already comment about my place saying how it looks like a campground cause have a it cleaned out, just want to keep on clearing more out in my free time. I would also get a rear blade for my SCUT that would prolly do a better job of leveling up the rough ground. I could always get the add on teeth on the bucket to help out too. I mow 4 acres or so. I really thought a SCUT would fit my needs but now I don't know. I hear people all the time saying how much they love their Scut's but now I am confused.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #22  
I think I am more confused now on what to buy than I was before I posted. I know a SCUT is not going to do the work of a "real" tractor, but I don't plan on digging any lakes, plowing any fields, or even using it on a farm. I have 11 acres total and 1/2 of it is wooded which I am working on in my free time clearing out all the small trees so I can get a brush hog thru it.

My home-place is similar size with with 11.5 acres about 4 wooded, 3 acres of lawn, and the rest is cut for hay by a neighbor. I use a gray market Yanmar 2402D with 6' finish mower for the yard, not the most efficient for around trees etc., but it has been reliable. What I do like about the Yanmar is with 4' bucket on the loader I can get through the trees. My concern with a subcompact would be the ground clearance going through the wooded area's. I would at least get a good look underneath before I purchased.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #23  
Let me try and help. I own a 2305 with a FEL and a backhoe and I use the 2305 for many things. I bought it because it fit where I needed to store it and it would do what I needed. If I had the room I would have opted for a grass cutting machine and a larger tractor. It was suggested to me at the time but I just could not fit them. I have a couple of things that made the 2305 the right choice for me but I think it is the wrong choice for you. I have 6 acres but only a small portion of it is grass. Grass cutting is no issue for the 2305 actually it is way overkill. I never use the 2305 in the woods. The FEL gets a great deal of use as a wheel barrel replacement and never ceases to amaze me as to what it can do. For snow removal the machine is great but I have both a 3 point snow blower and the FEL. I use the 2305 for limited rotary cutting but I am very aware of the fan problem and always leave the belly mower on for protection. I don't think this would work for you in the woods. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board and I come to it often for their knowledge. I suggest you listen to them especially when they suggest bigger machines for your use.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #24  
I bought my TZ22 used along with the 60" MMM and the Woods FEL. New was the tiller & the rear mount snowblower. I saved a ton of $$ and am very happy with the rig. Leveled some yard, hauled dirt, tilled tree rows and mow saving 2 hours over my old 982 Cub Cadet. Three years later I still love the rig and am so happy to have it! Bought it with about 120 hours if I recall correctly.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #25  
So which Mahindra is compared to the John Deere 1026 or the Kubota 2660? That would give me a better idea on the price. I want to find a aub-compact that will fit my needs and my wife don't leave me cause I paid $18,000 for what she calls a lawn mower! $15,750 + tax is for the JD 1026 auto connect 60" deck, quick connect H120 loader but by the time I add a Landpride RCR 1248 rotary cutter and tax that takes the bill up to $18,000.
I didn't read all the posts yet, but I'll answer this question.

Mahindra doesn't make a tractor that will compare to the JD sub-compacts, Kubota sub-compacts, Kioti subcompacts, or Massey Ferguson sub-compacts, because Mahindra does not offer a sub-compact. The Max22 and Max 25 are in fact 'compact' tractors. If you comapare the specifications to actual 'compact' tractors that the other makers offer, you will see what I mean.

Mahindra has decided to 'miscatoragize' their tractor to try and take away from the market share of honest tractor manufacturers. BUT..........I can see where the price they need to charge for their 'miscatorization', is going to cost them.

Now if you go into it, knowing that the Mahindra Max is actually a compact tractor..........That's a different story..........it's a pretty good price for what you get.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #26  
After reading all the posts, and what denverdave66 intends to do now and in the future, I have to agree with mred.

A 'compact' tractor is what denverdave66 needs, and in this case...........I'm going to recommend the Mahindra Max 25.

1)It is small, but capable.

2)Hydraulics are stronger than a subcompact.

3)Has full underbody armor.

4)Price is less that the typical compact of the same size.

5) Will accept a 5' bush hog/finish mower.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #27  
There are many reasons to get ONE peice of equipment vs 2 used ones.

You dont get a warrenty going used, more to maintain, might not have garage space, etc.

No one said a scut is a compromise either. For some, yea they may be compromising. But for someone who just wants to maintain a yard, move mulch for flower beds, pick up sticks/twigs in the fall, pull a lawn roller, and push some snow out from in front of the garage in the winter.....a SCUT is hardly a compromise. You dont need a JD995 to cart mulch to a flowerbed, or push a little snow. Infact, for "YARD" work, the lighter the better.

So I guess I'd as you (gittyup) as to why you compromised on your mower and tractor?? Why didnt you get a ZTR and a 100HP+ tractor with a loader???

I agree with TripleR that guys dont like their equipment being called toys in that sense either. But there are two definitions of "toy" when it comes to tractors.

For example: It is okay to say...look at my new toy and be refering to your equipent.

It is NOT okay to say: That thing is SOO small compared to my tractor that its just a toy.

See the difference?

Well it seems, LD, you just want to argue with me. I'm no more right nor wrong than the SCUT proponents. I simply wanted to offer a different point of view. And my view certainty won't work for many: budget, storage space, specific chores, etc are all different. Sorry if calling SCUTs "toys" is offensive, but they are when compared to CUTs. Same could be said about small CUTS compared to big utilities. Doesn't offend me.

To answer your direct question to me: I didn't compromise at all. In my opinion I bought the best of both for my situation. A ZTR won't work on my hilly property; can't pull a heavy trailer, or plow snow effectively. These are all things I do with my tractor. It cuts a 13" circle (best in it's class at the time, and still better than almost all current GTs), is outstanding on slopes, plows snow like a dream, and operates my hydraulic dump trailer hauling 1000+ lbs of material superbly. Just about anyone who knows knows that the JD 400 series is among the best GT's there are. My bigger tractor, a CK25 TLB, that weighs in at over 6000 lbs, has done everything I bought it to do without compromise. A bigger tractor wouldn't have done my chores any better or faster. And both fit my budget, operating space, trailering capabilities, and storage space. I feel I bought the best (otherwise I would have bought something else) in both machines for my needs and situation. So, you are wrong, I didn't compromise in anyway...silly nonsense!

Now, to the OP, there are way more "right" decisions than wrong ones here. You've been given some good information. Given some of it is contradictory might make it seem confusing. That's because each has their own priorities and unique situations. But, you really have to get out and try many brands and models. Then you'll quickly know what feels right for you. There is only so much armchair shopping you can do. As you can see the opinions here vary widely. In order to gain a fully informed decision, you have to test drive for yourself. I must've tried every brand there was before I bought my CUT - JD, Kubota, NH, MF, Branson, Kioti, and TYM. I went in thinking SCUT (I only have 2.5 acres). Came out thinking definitely not, not for my needs. When I tested the Kioti and then looked at the specs, my decision was easy. I'm so glad I didn't go SCUT; certain things I've done would have been near impossible. If you do do the test drives, with a clear understanding of your intended uses, you'll know what is right for you.

The OP also talked about clearing some small trees in his woods. Can't think of a faster easier way to do it that than with a tractor heavy enough to push them over and pop the root out of the ground. I may be wrong, but I'm doubtful a SCUT has enough weight or can get high enough on the tree to do that effectively. Sure you can take the little SCUT in there and push, tug, and dig. Maybe several minutes later you'll have one out of the ground. With a heavier tractor with a stronger loader it's out in seconds. I cleared a drive path through my little patch of woods, about 150 yards long in about an hour. Just pushed them over and piled them at the end. Amazing how much and how fast it can be done if there is enough room to work between the big trees. Just something else to confuse you :)

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help
When I was talking about clearing out small trees I was planning on using my Stihl chainsaw, and cut them close to the ground so my brush hog will go over the top with no problems to cut the buck brush out. I use a blade on my Stihl straight shaft trimmer right now and a brush hog would save me a lot of hours.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #29  
If they are that small, just flatten them with the bush hog and mow em up. Probably no need to cut first, depends on size. I guess it depends on whether the stumps would grow back. Some species have to be pulled out, root and all. But, if they are all really small, perhaps the SCUT would work just fine. I've ripped out many a small one (< 1") with my GT and scraper blade.

A CUT will push over 5 - 6" trees (depending on species) and pop the rootball right up. Then you push the tipped over rootball with the loader, bulldozer-like (but don't over do it). Then on to the next one in the path. Amazingly effective. There is no substitute for weight when it's needed. If not, then a light weight machine is better for mowing. Again, why it's hard for a SCUT to be a great mower and a great mover/digger.

/ John Deere 2305 or Kubota 2660 please help #30  
Also, if only small stuff, might could use something like a ratchet rake attachment on the bucket to rip them out by the roots, or a boxblade. BB would also be the best for earth moving. But, if mowing works where regrowth isn't an issue, it's by far the fastest and easiest.