John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740?

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #11  
Gentlemen,
It could very well be true about the pressurized cab and filtration being the same on Kubota as it is on Deere. That said I don't believe it. Deere has a touch more experience building tight cabs. My family used IH Harvester from the very beginning. I was one that made the turn to observe that John Deere 40 series Cabs were superior and they were/are... Very few use IH 1586s anymore, however, there are more 30 year old 4840s in the field, atleast around here, than you can shake a stick at... The farmer that tends our land had three of them planting the other afternoon. Should have taken a picture...

This is a moot point as my plans for the day were shot in the head by a sick employee this morning. I decided to stop by the Kubota Dealer to give them one last shot. Oddly enough they had one cab tractor on the lot. Don't remember the number, however, it was not a 5740. Want to say it was a 3940, however, I would not swear to it. In short the dealer said it would be the same cab on the 5740. In short the cab was cramped for my frame. It looks proportional on the tractor, more so than the deere, however the inside it is sorely lacking by comparison for room and ergonomics by my estimation. I drove it a bit and found I did not care for their Hydro Pedal nor the location of the hydraulics. Granted this is a personal observation, however, the comfort of a cab makes a great deal of difference to me when making a purchase decision. Spend 10 hours a day with your neck in crick looking back at an implement and the little things make a BIG difference... Apples and oranges, however, the cab is a make or break deal with me.

The dealer, who has dealt with my family for years, made a final pitch and I went in open minded. The Cab was not comparable and that put Kubota out of the running for my business. The fact that his best cash price was $800 less than an over the phone price on the deere(57 versus 66 HP to boot) made it anything but a horse race. In short it is likely as good a tractor for a smaller man. I tried Toyotas before I bought my Super Duty and Excursion.

At any rate I appreciate the input...

Regarding going to a 4520 or 4320 I would entertain the thought. I have no illusions about the value of the extra HP of the 4720. That said there is a 4720 on the dealer's lot that he wants to deal on. And HP, from my limited experience, never hurts... Granted weight and traction make it usable.

Regards, Matt.

Having spent a lot of time on a tractor, I certainly agree with the importance of comfort, my comment was only a question on the filtration system as I honestly don't know.

I am considering an upgrade in a couple of years, so these things are of interest to me. I have a John Deere as well as Kubota and the HST arrangement is really not a big deal for me as I can use both without a problem with a slight edge in reverse while watching my equipment. Now my wife hates JD HST, so...

I won't own another tractor with the brakes on the left, so my choices will be limited.

Our renters have also gone from IH to all green, primarily 8430's with a couple other models and if I was going to buy a big geared tractor it would be green.

Good luck with your new tractor and enjoy.

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740?
Triple R,
I am new to compact tractors and appreciate your input. To be honest I don't like Hydro in general, however, I've never driven anything smaller than a 4020 with lots of ballast.

The NEW big Deeres are in tighter market with CaseIH and Cat's Challenger. Almost everything around here is green and has been for awhile. That said the operator station on the MX335 is the full equal, from the few hours I have behind the wheel, to the 8030 series. That said Deere has a big edge in available HP on Mechanical Front Wheel Assist Tractors. The new big dog is the 8345. 345 HP in standard, but radical, tractor configuration. I know nothing of the IH/Steiger vs. Deere vs. CAT Race...

That said Farmers around here don't seem to want more than about 250 HP on a regular machine. More small cuts where truly huge equipment eat up space on the end rows. Has not stopped them from going huge on combines though. We are starting to see Class 8 machines more and more...

At any rate I appreciate your input whether we agree or not. I've found I often learn more from folks with a differing opinion than someone who agrees. In this particular case I do not want to make a bad decision and I'm looking for input from anyone with hands on.

As biased as I can be toward JD I am aware they are a for profit company and make a product to make a profit upon. I remind myself often that there is no love in a purchase. One piece of equipment, or a fleet, is not going to lead them to give me anything. Hence my desire to keep an open mind with Kubota. Whom seems to be from exhaustive reading/driving/trying to be the other 1st class compact. I heard a good deal of horse puckey about Kubota and allowed it to run off like water on a duck's back. They make excellent compact machines. There large machines suffer in comparison, again from experience, but that is not there specialty and it will take a good while for them to be competitive there. I've never heard anyone buy a Kubota Ag Tractor because it outclassed a Deere. It came down to money...

Sorry for the rambling post but I am open to differing opinions. Appreciate all the input I have received here...

Regards, Matt.

Welcome.
By the way, we like pictures, and would like to see the shop, the old tractor, and the new one when you get it.

Be grateful you have lots of dealer choices on the east coast, as that isn't necessarily the case here in Colorado.

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the kind welcome and your input...

The barn project has been in high gear for the last month and the following pictures are grossly out of date, however, It will give you an idea of the barn. It is a pseudo pole barn built with full cut 8"x8"x20' Salt treated Poled and 5 rows of Salt 2x12"s. All of the 2x12" were let in and bolted with 1/2" galvanized marine bolts. The exterior is Select Cypress from Gate's Cypress just across the line in NC. Built in traditional board and batton construction and nailed with Stainless Steel Nails. The roof is heavy 24 gauge standing seem screwed into 2x6 pearling. The windows are Anderson 400 series in Green to match the Roof and door. The trusses are 2x10" bottom cord, sistered with 2x6" along their entire length, and anchored to the top cord with 3/16" web channel iron on both ends. Bolted twice to the top 2x12 and to the truss. Loft/Attic floor is 3/4" plywood which is going to receive another layer with tar paper run perpendicular to what is already screwed and glued down to the trusses. The floor is 6" pour 5000 PSI fiberglass reinforced concrete with six seperate sections seperated by expansion joints. The carpenters have had to shoot nails into the concrete 4 to 5 times with the Hilti gun before they reached the appropriate depth...

All of the Salt was double commercial treat/2.5# treatment by Atlantic Wood Industries as a favor to my father(RIP). Some are so green they look bizarre...

The door is a 16' x 10' CHI Commercial Door with a Commercial Jack Shaft Lift...

I was fortunate to buy 800 plus tons of ground asphalt delivered for $550 which has since been a trick to spread and level. The current pictures do not show it, however, the asphalt is 100% around the barn at 12-14" deep and I have a driveway directly to the road which runs 14' wide and varies in depth from 12" to 3' due to soft soil conditions. A buddy of mine did the work and I could not be happier. We've since cleared the lot in front of the barn, short of the good trees, and dug and drain ditch to the highway... I will update with photos shortly.

The first night when he finished I sat for two hours in my Super Duty with the Diesel idling admiring his work. Went home at 11 pm...(grin)

The next hurdles are electrical, finishing interior framing, insulation for climate controlled areas, sealing the concrete, and hooking up to city water. Like a dolt I borrowed a bucket to changed the oil on the tractor. The bucket had a leak and my floor shows the aftermath. Various concrete cleaners are slowly taking it up and out.

I want to get the 4720 and a basic land plane to level out some areas of the loose asphalt before the summer sun hardens it further. Well traveled areas are hard as the proverbial rock and nearly perfectly flat...

You did say you like a picture or two... Here is my Barn about a month ago. Much has been done, however, it'll be another month before I'm ready to reveal the work done. This has been a long project. We are coming up on two years.

DSC00012345.jpg

DSCF000123456.jpg

Regards, Matt Garrett.
Chesapeake, Virginia

Btw, I lived in Colorado for 2 years while attending the Colorado School of Trades for Gunsmithing. Spent my first night in Kit Carson, back in July of 05', across the street from the John Deere Dealer. They have a steak house there called The Route. Best Steak I have had in many a day...fwiw

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #14  
Matt,

Actually I like long posts. In spite of how it may seem, I have no real 澱rand loyalty? even looked at some Massey Fergusons the other day. I really don稚 see Kubota as being competitive with John Deere in anything but the CUT market either and if I was looking for a geared unit; I would probably go with a John Deere. Since I don稚 make money with my tractors and already have a couple of geared tractors, I値l probably never need one, but who knows.

I use tractors now for property maintenance because I enjoy it, not because I have to. I give our renters a real good cash rate and they have tractors from 45 to 325 HP in addition to commercial mowers, UTV痴, sprayers etc. and they would do all the maintenance on our farms if I let them.

I have sold my bass boat, pontoon, cabin on the lake and can稚 ride my Harley anymore, so my tractors and projects are just a really expensive hobby to occupy my time and stay active, so my approach will probably be different than many.

I do like hearing from people who really work with their tractors.

Again, good luck, Larry

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #15  
Matt,

If your dealer has a 4720 cab on the lot he wan'ts to move then I would go for it. I use a plane more than I would have ever thought and built this one last year for my 4520. Weighs about 950 lbs and has straight set 8' graderblades. I use this to grade lawns and small fields in combination with tiller, boxblade, rearblade and harrow.

Top n tilt is a real help for this finish work and is a real help making swales for run off. The boxblade is a Frontier(Gannon) BB1284 and is about as large as these tractors can handle.

Larry,
Looked at a Massey the other day as well. Unfortunately they have zero support locally. They are little more than an AGCO brand name. That said AGCO is going to market German Fendts under the Massey Banner and I REALLY LIKE those machines. Very intuitive. Would still buy a Deere due to parts and service, however, I try to keep an open mind as well...

Best Regards, Matt.

Steve,
VERY nice work. I like your design. My welding skill are not in your ball park so I'll likely buy a plane but that is first class...

One of the things that is completely new to me is the hydraulic top link. I saw one about a year back on CaseIH MX255 and thought it neat but brand specific. I WILL be putting one of those on the compact and the 4020. Too handy...

Regards, Matt.

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #18  
Larry,
Looked at a Massey the other day as well. Unfortunately they have zero support locally. They are little more than an AGCO brand name. That said AGCO is going to market German Fendts under the Massey Banner and I REALLY LIKE those machines. Very intuitive. Would still buy a Deere due to parts and service, however, I try to keep an open mind as well...

Best Regards, Matt.

Pretty much the same here, but I was curious after reading some posts on them. I have an older model 375 4WD which is broke down more than it runs, but people say they have improved a lot. This place advertises about five different brands and probably doesn't have any in some of the makes. Yeah, I like the Fendt from what I have seen too.

In my area if it is not a Deere, NH or a Kubota, support is pretty poor. My left leg is about as reliable as Lucas electrics, so I guess I will stay with Kubota or something like it, but like to stay informed.

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #19  
Btw, I lived in Colorado for 2 years while attending the Colorado School of Trades for Gunsmithing. Spent my first night in Kit Carson, back in July of 05', across the street from the John Deere Dealer. They have a steak house there called The Route. Best Steak I have had in many a day...fwiw

That's quite a barn, and I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures as you release them.

I've lived in Colorado all my life, and have been through Kit Carson on my way to and from a 50-caliber machine gun shoot held in Cheyenne Wells a few years ago. A friend of mine that I went to the machine gun shoot with is originally from Omaha, Nebraska and he said that part of Colorado was so desolate that it made the trip to Omaha to visit his parents look good now.

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #20  
Matt if you have the time check out the NH tractors. I just traded my Kubota L4330 in on a T4330. Best move ive ever made and wished i would have never layed eyes on the Kubota. I know the two tractors are not even in the same ballpark but the Kubota is the most under powered over rated tractor ive ever ran. Just MHO.