John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #11  
We're definitely getting somewhere here.

I went out and checked the fuses. The 20amp fuse for the fuel shutoff solenoid was blown. I replaced it and tried starting it up. When I turned the key, I heard a click (more of a snap, actually). It wouldn't start and I checked the fuse but the new fuse had been broken!

So, this fuse is being blown each time. What would cause the fuel shutoff solenoid to blow its own fuse?

er.....my guess would be a bad fuel solonoid or a worn wire to the solonoid. with that little hours on it, isnt it under warranty? for a 20 amp fuse to blow, theres a short to ground somewheres.

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #12  
We're definitely getting somewhere here.
So, this fuse is being blown each time. What would cause the fuel shutoff solenoid to blow its own fuse?

Wire or solenoid grounded out. IIRC the is a cold weather starting solenoid screwed into head that can ground out causing blown fuse.

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #13  
I have a John Deere 5210 most likely the problem is the temperature sensor.

On the thermostat housing there is a temperature sensor that is connected to a two wire harness that goes to the injection pump, this is the "cold start advance" portion of the system so it starts easier when cold, the sensor is so it doesn't activate once warmed up. If you disconnect the sensor and it works fine ohm the sensor, probably shorted.

The sensor on the thermostat housing, that controls the advance on the inj. pump. When it fails it shorts out and blows the fuse. Try unplugging it and see if it starts and runs. Double check JD parts, but I thing the part # is RE503242, if you are quick changing it, you don't have to drain the coolant, just make sure it's not hot at the time.

The following are some URLs from the John Deere web-site you may find informative.
The following are the URLs to the 5310 and 540 FEL manuals.
//manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE71736_19/?tM=
//manuals.deere.com/omview/OMW44993_19/

//www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/tips/augusta/5000/instrpanelfog.html
//www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/tips/augusta/5000/leakfuelcap.html
//www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/tips/augusta/5000/backlash.html
//www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/tips/augusta/5000/modelyear.html

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #14  
In case you need it here is a wiring diagram. For the 5210/5310.

Let us know if this is the problem.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #15  
I'm not finding a fuel shutoff solenoid on the 5310 (jdparts).
Follow JD5210's lead, I'm thinking. ;)

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #16  
Last edited:
   / John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #17  
JD5210
Thanks for that info. Looks like the solenoid is not a replacement item, other than with the fuel pump.

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start
most likely the problem is the temperature sensor.

Sorry for the delay; other projects have had my priorities this past week but today I got to try out your suggestion, and you were right! I disconnected the wires you referenced and replaced the blown fuse and it started right up.

It then died within a few seconds but I'm guessing this is because it was running without the thermostat?

I'll call my local JD dealer for a replacement thermostat. Thank you all for your help.

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start
JD5210, you were right. When I replaced the item you recommended, it now no longer blows the fuse. However, what is really puzzling to me is that it still will not start.

With the exception of the test start, it hasn't started since. But now I am hearing the click when I turn the key and the fuse is no longer blowing, it still will not start. It just turns and turns. I'm a little aggravated by this at this point. :confused:

Do you have any other ideas?

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #20  
At this point I think it is a fuel issue. What you did in #7 may have put air into the fuel system. I would start by filling the fuel tank and drain a little from the bottom of the tank, the fuel tank drain and see if there is any sediment or water. I would replace the fuel filter (re60021) or at least empty it. Fill the filter before you put it on. If it still does not start, bleed the system, I have included the URL to the manual which shows how to bleed the system. I have not had to do this with mine, but it does appear to be a 2 person job. If it still does not start, you will need to bleed it at the injectors, again a 2 person job. This will answer the question is it getting fuel.

It still does not start I would say the problem is in the starter relay or bypass relays. I can put something together on how to test and were these relays are located.

I would also suggest you get some fuel conditioner. Only guessing, but with only such low hours I am thinking the fuel has been in there a while. Summer conditioner JD part number ty26784. I purchased my tractor 3 years, since I started using the conditioner NO smoking and starts literally with just a flick of the key.

The following you most likely know, but we all know what assume means. So far I have found everything on my tractor to be metric.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE71736_19/?tM=

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5496_fb_SummerWinterDieselConditioner.htm