Price Check John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #211  
Coyote Machine - I am completely a newbie - not at all familiar with how the model year designations work, so I was simply passing on what I was told, and share what I had available to show why I said what I did.

My original post was to share what I thought was an incredible deal I found - intending to back up the OP's experience and say there are great deals out there. I'm glad he and I both found those deals, but I am in a completely new arena here in tractor land.

I bought this tractor partially for my dad, since he is a snowbird now and wants to help out on my six acres when he spends the winter here. It worked out really well for me and him, because my tractor is exactly like his NH TC33, so he is really at home driving it.

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer
My old 2520 finally showed up on the dealers web site, they are asking $14,600 for tractor and 62D deck. So here's the numbers:
Sold me the new tractor for $3000 plus trade. (my $500 plus the JD $2500 rebate)
Value of new tractor: $18,000
Trade in allowance for my old tractor: $17,500
Asking price for old tractor: $14,600

Let's just day the dealer pays $14,000 for new tractor ($4000 markup), if he sells my old tractor for $14,600 then he has taken in $17,600 while his cost was $14,000, he made $3,600 on the sale of two tractors instead of the $4000 he would have made selling one new tractor.

Does that make sense? Anyone know what the markup is on a 2520?

Oh, and what if I would have sold my tractor myself?

I would have had to sell it for $15,000 so that my $500 plus the $2500 rebate would still get me the $18,000 needed for the new machine. Don't know how long that would have taken but I'd say selling a 3 year old machine with 400 hours for $3000 less than new might be tough. So I think this affirms I got a pretty good deal.

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #214  
My old 2520 finally showed up on the dealers web site, they are asking $14,600 for tractor and 62D deck. So here's the numbers:
Sold me the new tractor for $3000 plus trade. (my $500 plus the JD $2500 rebate)
Value of new tractor: $18,000
Trade in allowance for my old tractor: $17,500
Asking price for old tractor: $14,600

Let's just day the dealer pays $14,000 for new tractor ($4000 markup), if he sells my old tractor for $14,600 then he has taken in $17,600 while his cost was $14,000, he made $3,600 on the sale of two tractors instead of the $4000 he would have made selling one new tractor.

Does that make sense? Anyone know what the markup is on a 2520?
Using your math, I'd say too much.

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #215  
So I think this affirms I got a pretty good deal.

There's never really been much doubt about that. :D

How much is your dealer getting for your old implements? You have to throw those into the mix.

Maybe I forgot to mention that he is selling the tractor with the 62D deck. The back blade he took from me isn't really worth anything. It was old whenm I bought it for $75 over 10 years ago. I'm guessing he might be able to get $100 for it.

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #217  
Oh, and what if I would have sold my tractor myself?

I would have had to sell it for $15,000 so that my $500 plus the $2500 rebate would still get me the $18,000 needed for the new machine. Don't know how long that would have taken but I'd say selling a 3 year old machine with 400 hours for $3000 less than new might be tough. So I think this affirms I got a pretty good deal.

I would say that it's definite - you got a stellar deal.