Jumping Ship

/ Jumping Ship #31  
True, there could be more weight balance, but there are just a few spots I actually encounter this. I do have 90 lbs on the front, but usually the issue is that the front still isn't enough. It doesn't always come off the ground, but it does scoot the front.

Either way there are just times when the steering brakes would help. I absolutely have nothing against the Kubota, but the John Deere will be a lot easier to use when it comes to removing the attachments. Not to mention, without spending a fortune on making the BX do what the JD can do.

Also, I really can't complain about the price. I will have invested less money total to get the John Deere, I actually will make about $3000 once the trade is complete. So my Kubota has paid off in it's use and in the trade that I got for it. Gotta love that!:D

My Kubota L5030 will do this on steep slopes if I don't have the FEL, so I am adding weight this year if I need it or I may just bring another tractor up. Ninety pounds is not enough if your front end is getting light or scooting the tires. When I was farming, our tractors would do this when using too heavy of equipment, but we didn't have much choice, so there were times when we had steering for short periods of time with only our brakes and I hate to admit it, but sometimes one of us would have to ride on the hood for a while to keep the front in contact with the ground; different times.

Am not not knocking steering brakes as I grew up using them on the farm. We had a couple of tractors on which they were useless, so I quit using them for several years, but with the purchase of our M8540 last year, I have begun using them again when needed. I rarely need them on my L5030, but my son does when he uses it.

Again, not knocking your choice of tractor or anything else, just trying to provide a little information that may or may not be useful.

Enjoy your tractor.

/ Jumping Ship
I know what you are saying. The brakes are not the,only reason. There are several other reasons. I can share attachments with my neighbor
, brakes on the left where they belong, easier to maintenance and removal of mmm,and the price for what I am looking for.

The tractor is also not much bigger but I am getting more power than i had and in about the same package.

/ Jumping Ship #33  
I know what you are saying. The brakes are not the,only reason. There are several other reasons. I can share attachments with my neighbor
, brakes on the left where they belong, easier to maintenance and removal of mmm,and the price for what I am looking for.

The tractor is also not much bigger but I am getting more power than i had and in about the same package.

No doubt the 2520 is a nice little tractor, I especially like the position control 3-point hitch. One thing you might want to consider is building some protection for your hazard flashers, we are on our third set as people keep getting them on our 2305 caught on limbs.

/ Jumping Ship #34  
I jumped ship a year ago. And am glad to be free :D

Really my decision was based on availability on the local used market.

I had 12 great years of use from my B8200HSTD. It was a great tractor. But, 19hp was small for the large "B" chassis size. And, the loader was not much more volume than 1-1/2 wheelbarrows. Only 15hp on the PTO did not help.

We originaly were looking at L3410HST; my wife drove one for two years at the nursery, and really like it. Nice power, large bucket, and could easily turn a 5' or 6' mower. There were a couple on the used market. We liked them, liked the brand, and would have been a perfect fit.

No... The day I sold my B8200HSTD, the used market for that size Kubota vanished. I could not find a similar size Deere either. It was really wierd. No Mahindra, no Massey.

So my local parts and Massey dealer, I asked him if he had any leads. He did! He had a NH TC40D in on consignment, but did not have it out front on the lot yet. Guess what we got...! I drove it, my wife drove it; we really liked it.

So in the year since then, I have found I like the brakes on the left. I am not sure about the HST pedals; I kind liked the treadle pedal on my old Kubota. The Supersteer is awesome; this tractor literally turns on a dime. I like all the controls, and the "deluxe" package.

The thing I miss most about the B8200HSTD is the TnT. I made my own setup for it, and just have not had budget yet for TnT on the TC40.

In the end, I would get another Kubota, L3410 size. I would complain about the brake pedals with the HST. But, like Dodge/Ford/GM in pickups, it is hard to go wrong with the major tractor manufacturers. They mostly come down to personal preferences and features.

And my B8200HSTD? I am acquainted with the guy that bought it from me, and to "visit" it on occasion. He is happy as a lark, and has put it to good use on his property :D

/ Jumping Ship #35  
Like TripleR, I have used steering brakes on a "real" tractor; mowing with a haybine, it makes for sharp turns at the edge of the hay field. Of course, with tracked equipment, that is the only way to steer!

/ Jumping Ship #36  
When plowing snow and scrapping ice in the winter. Gotta use the cutting edge and the front wheels of the tractor are off the ground.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Learned the value of those two left hand pedals on an 8N about 50 years ago-nothings changed!

Deere 3320, Deere 410E, Cat 420 etc etc. Can't imagine not having them.

/ Jumping Ship #37  
I think I'd go back to a Kubota. Because I live on acreage and put up some hay, the local IH dealer got me into "Ag" financing; the Kubota dealer said I'd have to get "approved" for an Ag loan.... even though I bought my BX2230 from him.

/ Jumping Ship #38  
I owned 3 JDs now 3 Kubotas. Jump ship-sure. Who has the best tractor for my needs. They have all been Green or Orange and I like both brands a lot.

Wait...I have both in my garage.

How can I be both at the same time? :):)

That is not going to change soon. I really like both a lot!!

/ Jumping Ship #39  
I started with a 2005 Kioti CK20. Then I purchased a Deere (Yanmar) 2520. Next came the Kubota B3200 and now I have a new Kubota L3800. So yes I am a brand switcher but I'm pretty sure that is over with now. Really happy with the L3800 and It turns so sharp that I rarely even think about needing steering brakes. It would be a nice feature to have like my deere did but I can live without it.

Last edited:
   / Jumping Ship #40  
Hey you buy wha you like, after all It's your money and you want to spend it now. But If your tractors are hydro why do you need to use the brakes other then parking?
DevilDog

So true, you work hard get and buy what you need. Orange is a better color, LOL