Just another junk chainsaw

/ Just another junk chainsaw #1,651  
Now that I'm about done with my annual chainsaw work, it is time to try restoring at least one really old McCulloch saw.

I also have a couple others that will need some work.

For now, I'm enjoying using battery electric chain saws, and just ordered some new batteries for my saw.

/ Just another junk chainsaw #1,652  
I don't care what it is.
When it gets old and starts being fussy, I buy a new one.
Cars, tractors, smaller equipment, wives etc.
Not going to waste my time and life tracking down parts and pieces or trying to find someone to do repairs.
Old crap is old crap. It might have been the cat's meow when it was new. It ain't new no more.

/ Just another junk chainsaw #1,653  
But part of the fun is to make something old and junky become like new. Or in my case admitting defeat is hard and it will run again just because....

/ Just another junk chainsaw #1,654  
I don't care what it is.
When it gets old and starts being fussy, I buy a new one.
Cars, tractors, smaller equipment, wives etc.
Not going to waste my time and life tracking down parts and pieces or trying to find someone to do repairs.
Old crap is old crap. It might have been the cat's meow when it was new. It ain't new no more.

That may be true about some things. But my budget doesn't allow me to just go out and buy everything that I have an interest in brand new.

I just picked up a new loader. Perhaps not quite what I needed, and it needs a little work. But, I paid about $3500, and replacing it new would be about $100,000 to $150,000.

I could hire someone to do the work I have planned, but that will also exceed the cost of the loader, and where's all the fun in that. Plus, this loader should get used quite a bit for the next couple of years, then I can pass it on and either make a profit on it, or really make somebody's day.

Here is the McCulloch that I mentioned is my next winter restoration project.

McCulloch.jpg

It is an old BEAST. I'm hoping it will start with just a little cleaning... hopefully... :)

It isn't a size that I will use a lot, but there are a few moments when it will come in handy. Actually, I'd be happy to have the blade another foot longer.

A good new Stihl 36" saw is about $1500. Not chump change for something that I might only use once every 5 years.

/ Just another junk chainsaw #1,655  
That may be true about some things. But my budget doesn't allow me to just go out and buy everything that I have an interest in brand new.

I just picked up a new loader. Perhaps not quite what I needed, and it needs a little work. But, I paid about $3500, and replacing it new would be about $100,000 to $150,000.

I could hire someone to do the work I have planned, but that will also exceed the cost of the loader, and where's all the fun in that. Plus, this loader should get used quite a bit for the next couple of years, then I can pass it on and either make a profit on it, or really make somebody's day.

Here is the McCulloch that I mentioned is my next winter restoration project.

View attachment 849709

It is an old BEAST. I'm hoping it will start with just a little cleaning... hopefully... :)

It isn't a size that I will use a lot, but there are a few moments when it will come in handy. Actually, I'd be happy to have the blade another foot longer.

A good new Stihl 36" saw is about $1500. Not chump change for something that I might only use once every 5 years.
Stihl 36" clone under $350. ;)

/ Just another junk chainsaw #1,657  
Did you post a picture of the loader?

Yeah, I've posted a couple of photos.

newcat2-jpg.847775

branchfellonmyloader-jpg.847070

Caterpillar 977K. A few years old.

I think I underestimated the cost to buy new.

The closest comparison would probably be the Caterpillar 963, or the Caterpillar D6 which puts one at well over $300K. Perhaps over $400K.

For high end production, there would be no substitute for the new equipment. Large scale developer, logger, rock quarry, building a dam, etc.

For my needs, the old one will be just fine once I get the hydraulics sorted out.

/ Just another junk chainsaw #1,659  
Thanks for the pic. Looks like you have what you need there.
Maybe, I need to remove a couple of stumps and make some non-flat land to be flat.

This is what I expect a root ball to look like, more or less, except the root ball will still be in the ground.

Bike_vs_Tree.jpg

I think that old CAT used to be Forest Service. While I don't know if I need a full cab, it may help keep some smoke out of my face, and I'm glad it has a full ROPS which not all vintage dozers have.

Last edited:
   / Just another junk chainsaw #1,660  
This is what I expect a root ball to look like, more or less, except the root ball will still be in the ground.
I thought I had seen some huge root balls but WOW!

There were two huge oak trees that blew over on a school campus in my home town after a big storm soaked the ground. There were 3 wreckers working on pulling them around and in position the drag them out each of them could have been close to the size of that one in your picture. Massive.