Just another junk chainsaw

/ Just another junk chainsaw #1,661  

Well, $340, except it is missing over $100 worth of critical parts.

Project Farm reviewed the FarmMac brand which looks similar to the FarmerTec above. Love the similar brand names.

It didn't do quite as well as the Stihl, but it did do a lot better after tuning.

Nonetheless, I actually HAVE the old McCulloch. I don't have the FarmerTec.

mcculloch-jpg.849709

I'm pretty sure the McCulloch was "Running when Parked". :)

However I rescued it from the edge of a shed, not well protected from the rain. It didn't cost me anything.

So, I need to clean up the chain. Then tear it down somewhat, inspect, oil, reattach the handle, then try to fire it up.

I have no doubt it was made for very heavy duty use over 50 years ago.

The chain is a pretty large pitch chain.

It might be a fun project to see how a 50 year old saw stacks up against an Amazon saw.

Last edited:
   / Just another junk chainsaw
#1,663  
Well, $340, except it is missing over $100 worth of critical parts.

Project Farm reviewed the FarmMac brand which looks similar to the FarmerTec above. Love the similar brand names.

It didn't do quite as well as the Stihl, but it did do a lot better after tuning.

Nonetheless, I actually HAVE the old McCulloch. I don't have the FarmerTec.

mcculloch-jpg.849709

I'm pretty sure the McCulloch was "Running when Parked". :)

However I rescued it from the edge of a shed, not well protected from the rain. It didn't cost me anything.

So, I need to clean up the chain. Then tear it down somewhat, inspect, oil, reattach the handle, then try to fire it up.

I have no doubt it was made for very heavy duty use over 50 years ago.

The chain is a pretty large pitch chain.

It might be a fun project to see how a 50 year old saw stacks up against an Amazon saw.
I had the Farmertec G660 and it cut just like some of the 660 and 066 5-6 of them I owned over the years. Some of them it would out cut IMO.
IMO run them with what is there, but tune the darn things from get go. Only replace as needed.

Stock port timing was all over the place on them over the years. The later run 660's were the worst.
Same can be said for the clone 660 cylinders too. Mine pulled 210psi and later newer pulled 160psi.
I don't hesitate one bit buying a clone saw or suggesting them to locals anymore.

Guy in video bet didnt tune for crap either. They come super fat out of box.

Have a locals 660 oem here and you couldnt tell the difference in them in cuts.

Under 300 shipped to door v/s 1200 or more

g6603222.jpg
s660plugc.jpg

Last edited:
#1,664  
As I set here cussing this 36cc wild thing I am working on at bench 1 yesterday. I look up and could almost hear them laughing.

Poulan gang above bench.

pcovers2.jpg

#1,665  
She lives shortly after. I picked up last year as non runner for 5.

I was curious if it was 36cc for real and did bore stroke back then. This one was 36cc 1-5 are.

Got more in carb kit and echo oem lines.

Drilled the tank for 3x5 too.

p2175lines.jpg

#1,666  
Last check overs before buttoning up. Then to clean it up.

Glad I did. While going through things had some kind of nylon plastic crap all wrapped at oil pump area. Glad noticed that as it will bind pump and take out gear when gets in bind.

Poulan 2175 36cc. 1999 type 2.

Stihl 63PS on it for test cutting later.

Lines and carb kit too.

Loaner saw, root cutter, or sell to local for trimming someday.

Still the wild thing bar and crap chain but set that chain aside.

pwt99.jpg
pwt999.jpg
pwt9999999.jpg
pwt999999.jpg
pwt99999.jpg
pwt9999.jpg

/ Just another junk chainsaw #1,669  
I swear that was material from chaps in there.
Could be. I had one of those for a while. It wasnt a bad saw for what I paid, but the vibration got old fast. I bought something better so it set forgotten in the shed for a couple of years, one day I got it out, dumped gas in it and it started right up.
When the town had a fundraiser to fix up the old church I donated it to the yard sale. I'd gotten my money out of it and I think they sold it for $25.

#1,670  
Yep first thing you notice on the saws with no anti-vibe. Rattle your teeth.

My 2000 I bought new in 94 was like that. Later on as I learned way more on saws. I swapped in a anti-vibe front handle set up.

Not that I care about the plastic saws that use clammys build. But I found awhile back that there was a wild thing built with anti-vibe overseas. Looks like my PP260 but in green with thing colors.

Before and after on 2000. Can see the back av on and a red av for back ups. Since harder to find.

WT AV pic too.

p200012.jpg
p2000avvv.jpg
pwtavvv.jpg

Last edited: