/ King County WA cougar attack #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
About 20 miles east of Seattle.

Bruce

/ King County WA cougar attack #2  
I haven't kept up with it since I moved away from California, but when I lived there in the 90's, it was becoming common to hear about Mountain Lion attacks on people, livestock and pets. In California, the made the Mountain Lion a Protected species with tens of millions of dollars being raised in taxes to ensure it's protection.

To prove how wacky this is, when a Mountain Lion attacks somebody, a State Trapper is hired to find and kill it. The same thing happens when they kill livestock on a farm. I knew one of the State Trappers through a good friend, and I went out with him a few times to deal with problem racoons in the Central Valley. He ran the dogs, my buddy and I did the shooting.

Since the law was passed to protect Mountain Lions, the State of California has hired State Trappers to kill more mountain lions in a year then where ever killed when there was a legal hunting season for them. This is because the Mountain Lions have lost their fear of people, and encounters have increased dramatically.

In one example, in the East Bay, not too far from Oakland is a place called Crow Canyon. It's a fairly busy road from Castro Valley to San Ramon. There are a bunch of small farms in Crow Canyon. One night a Mountain Lion got into a killing spree and killed every sheep on one of those farms. They were all in a small fenced in area, and I think it was over a dozen sheep, but I forget the exact number. The State Trapper that I knew was hired to kill that lion, which was living a very short distance away, and very close to several houses.

Here is a video that a friend posted on FB of a Mountain Lion walking past her house in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California in July 2023.

Here is a video that another friend took of a lion killing and dragging away his neighbors goat. This was in the Central Valley of California, just South of Livermore in May of 2023.

/ King County WA cougar attack #3  
I haven't kept up with it since I moved away from California, but when I lived there in the 90's, it was becoming common to hear about Mountain Lion attacks on people, livestock and pets. In California, the made the Mountain Lion a Protected species with tens of millions of dollars being raised in taxes to ensure it's protection.

To prove how wacky this is, when a Mountain Lion attacks somebody, a State Trapper is hired to find and kill it. The same thing happens when they kill livestock on a farm. I knew one of the State Trappers through a good friend, and I went out with him a few times to deal with problem racoons in the Central Valley. He ran the dogs, my buddy and I did the shooting.

Since the law was passed to protect Mountain Lions, the State of California has hired State Trappers to kill more mountain lions in a year then where ever killed when there was a legal hunting season for them. This is because the Mountain Lions have lost their fear of people, and encounters have increased dramatically.

In one example, in the East Bay, not too far from Oakland is a place called Crow Canyon. It's a fairly busy road from Castro Valley to San Ramon. There are a bunch of small farms in Crow Canyon. One night a Mountain Lion got into a killing spree and killed every sheep on one of those farms. They were all in a small fenced in area, and I think it was over a dozen sheep, but I forget the exact number. The State Trapper that I knew was hired to kill that lion, which was living a very short distance away, and very close to several houses.

Here is a video that a friend posted on FB of a Mountain Lion walking past her house in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California in July 2023.

Here is a video that another friend took of a lion killing and dragging away his neighbors goat. This was in the Central Valley of California, just South of Livermore in May of 2023.

We have lion everywhere in my area. A few years ago some goats and miniature horses were killed by a lion about a mile from where I live. Several years ago a man was killed when he was sitting in a hot springs in southern New Mexico. They are not protected here, but they are considered a game animal and a hunting tag is required to take one. I have spent 40 plus years working in the woods and field and have only seen about a half dozen up close. They are very elusive. Bobcat And bear sightings are much more common.

/ King County WA cougar attack #5  
Dont you just love the way the so called powers that be change the language to suit their narrative! “ Encounter “ is the new polite version of was once referred to as ”attacked”. 🤔
They are not interchangeable. I have encountered several lions, but have not been attacked.

/ King County WA cougar attack #6  
We see them every so often here, but elusive or cryptic certainly describes our local mountain lions. We see their deer kills fairly close to the house every couple of months, so we know that they are around.

I keep hoping one will develop a taste for fresh feral pig. No luck so far.

No reports hereabouts of stock losses to mountain lions.

When we lived in suburbia, the mountain lions would often come into the burbs along the creeks, and then move from house to house on the roof tops. There were always rumors of missing pets without any evidence, but a domestic cat is appetizer size for a mountain lion. I personally would suspect coyotes.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / King County WA cougar attack #7  
We have a number of cougar sightings in our valley every year. One just a week or so ago.
A few years ago my wife got a call from the neighbor saying to get the kids in as a cougar was on her deck watching her in the house and it left and headed toward our house.
But when you live in an area where the back yard is hundreds of square miles of woods, it is expected.

/ King County WA cougar attack #8  
I do not follow laws that could put me or my loved ones in danger.

I live in the middle of nowhere, so the SSS rule applies. No cougars yet but if one shows up it is dead. Some reports of wolves, that are now a protected species, and it will end up dead. Another is our local rattlesnake. If near the house or pole barn, it is addressed. Everyone in the area feels the same way.

You have to be foolish not to deal with danger like that.

/ King County WA cougar attack #9  
I do not follow laws that could put me or my loved ones in danger.

I live in the middle of nowhere, so the SSS rule applies. No cougars yet but if one shows up it is dead. Some reports of wolves, that are now a protected species, and it will end up dead. Another is our local rattlesnake. If near the house or pole barn, it is addressed. Everyone in the area feels the same way.

You have to be foolish not to deal with danger like that.
SSS. Yes. the rule.

/ King County WA cougar attack #10  
In Oakland with a population of 450k I find deer carcases on property every year.

At the tree farm my brother sent me a picture of his backyard oak...???

I ask why and he said look closely.

On a large limb about 6' up there was a juvenile mountain lion about 90#