Kioti 3510 drive problem

/ Kioti 3510 drive problem #21  
Methanol? uh....that seems unlikely. Are you sure it isn't something else?

/ Kioti 3510 drive problem #22  
Methanol and water mix 50/50, 55gal in each tire for a 75% fill.

/ Kioti 3510 drive problem #23  
Is using methanol common? I've never had tires filled. It just seems odd to me to use methanol instead of some other tire fluid.

Methanol is crazy poisonous even in small doses. Even the vapors are poisonous, it is flammable, and it eats up rubber tire compounds making them brittle. Plus it only weighs three quarters of what water does. Methanol does lower freeze point, but then so do other less dangerous tire fluids. So why use methanol?

/ Kioti 3510 drive problem #24  
Is using methanol common? I've never had tires filled. It just seems odd to me to use methanol instead of some other tire fluid.

Methanol is crazy poisonous even in small doses. Even the vapors are poisonous, it is flammable, and it eats up rubber tire compounds making them brittle. Plus it only weighs three quarters of what water does. Methanol does lower freeze point, but then so do other less dangerous tire fluids. So why use methanol?
It's in windshield washer fluid.
I have my rear tires filled with windshield washer fluid the past 20+ years.

/ Kioti 3510 drive problem #25  

Because it's just windshield washer fluid, haha! Yes, quite common. As cheap as a buck per gallon, and you can pump it in yourself at home. I am tempted. But, I'd rather leak beet juice on my soil than methanol, if I were to ever get a puncture or flat.

/ Kioti 3510 drive problem #26  
Both water and methanol will evaporate quite quickly, the methanol faster than the water. Sure, there will be a short time of a poisonous liquid on the ground but it will be gone soon and no residue to worry about. The Co-op has dozens of 55 gal drums of PURE methanol for tractor use and I've never heard of any employees getting sick or poisoned from working with it day in and day out with no protection. Many, many gallons of the stuff spilled all the time in the tractor tire bay ...

/ Kioti 3510 drive problem #27  
Well if the Co-Op uses it...... actually there's a question in that. Why would they use something hazardous instead of something else? Want to risk a guess?
Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I wonder about those sorts of things.

Like I wonder if the guys in the tire bay would even know that they are being poisoned?
I'm not at all sure that I would.....might just think I was getting tired & older.
One of the symptoms seems to be one's vision getting progessively more blurry, along with confusion and coordination problems...shucks, anyone can google symptoms.
Or maybe just ask around the tractor tire bay.

The bottom line is that there are known poisons that just don't care if a person believes in them or not. It's not the sort of thing affected by opinion.

The guys in the tire shop are all grown ups. They can decide for themselves.
They probably already have; it's not like this is some sort of secret rocket science, I grew up down South. Everyone in corn country, drag strips, or race tracks knows about methanol.

Last edited:
   / Kioti 3510 drive problem #28  
Eh, they've been doing it for DECADES and nobody has keeled over yet. I'm sure the EPA woulda stepped in many years ago had methanol been THAT dangerous and it wouldn't be stockpiled all over the country in every large or small town in it's various uses like windshield washer fluid.