KIOTI Mechron users: Pros/Cons/Issues: chime in please....

/ KIOTI Mechron users: Pros/Cons/Issues: chime in please.... #31  
That could certainly be an issue, I suppose- I know diddly-squat about CVTs except my wife's Honda employs CVT technology, and it screams if you punch it. It's no slacker, and technically CVT is supposed to be much faster than a 'normal' type auto transmission.

Why would numerous CVT transmissions be set-up wrong from the factory? It's way noticeable from the get-go that something is not right, IMHO. One would think if Deere had issues with this others would have noticed the remedies? No?

arlen4720, your explanation is the first reasonable one I've heard to date, and I've inquired repeatedly about any issues with the Mechrons, and very few come forward to say anything one way or another.
This makes me feel you could be on the right track and now I might have something worth looking into further.

BTW, does a 'locked' master brake cylinder make any sense to you regarding drive-ability issues with these?

Thanks,

CM

I suppose if the brakes were dragging it would cause some issues, but that should be pretty easy to rule out.
The cvt in these machines share more with a snowmobile clutch than your wife’s Honda .
I think the little diesel should have enough power. I’m sure it’s the same hp as the little 22hp Yanmar in my gator. It’s no speed demon, but it weighs about 2200 pounds, and has AC. I’m satisfied with the power.
On mine, the clutch grabs at about 1700 rpm, and you start moving. It was a little jumpy for the first few hours, but smoothed out when the clutch parts wore in a little.
They definitely depend on centrifugal force to operate, and they have springs and weights that determine how quick they grab and so forth.
The idea is to keep the engine in the power band—like any tranny I suppose.
I think it would be worth your while to consult with the MBdiagman on gatorforums.net
He seems to be an authority on JD gator cvt setups. He may have some insight on other brands. I would think the procedure to tune them by hand would be similar.

/ KIOTI Mechron users: Pros/Cons/Issues: chime in please....
arlen4720,

Thanks for your reply and referral. What number of hours would you consider to be 'broken in' for a CVT type trans? I've probably got between 40-50 hours top on mine. I find the 22HP(?) Kioti 3cyl diesel to run erratically in comparison to my 4 cyl DK-40 diesel in my tractor. Between having to feather the accelerator and similar to get the CVT to engage without whiplash effect it's danm frustrating. It's almost impossible to back it out of the barn upon initial startup without disengaging one's neck from shoulders!
Thoughts? Anyone?

TIA,

CM

/ KIOTI Mechron users: Pros/Cons/Issues: chime in please.... #33  
arlen4720,

Thanks for your reply and referral. What number of hours would you consider to be 'broken in' for a CVT type trans? I've probably got between 40-50 hours top on mine. I find the 22HP(?) Kioti 3cyl diesel to run erratically in comparison to my 4 cyl DK-40 diesel in my tractor. Between having to feather the accelerator and similar to get the CVT to engage without whiplash effect it's danm frustrating. It's almost impossible to back it out of the barn upon initial startup without disengaging one's neck from shoulders!
Thoughts? Anyone?

TIA,

CM

Mine was behaving pretty good after 10-20 hours.
It really sounds like a clutch issue.
I don't know much about the little kioti engines, but you wouldn't think they would be a whole lot different than the little 3 cyl Yanmars.
Does it seem like it has a consistent engagement RPM? If you just ease the RPM up, it doesn't just smoothly start moving? I guess that's a stupid question given your posts:laughing:
Does it seem like it's just really "grabby"

Mine was behaving pretty good after 10-20 hours.
It really sounds like a clutch issue.
I don't know much about the little kioti engines, but you wouldn't think they would be a whole lot different than the little 3 cyl Yanmars.
Does it seem like it has a consistent engagement RPM? If you just ease the RPM up, it doesn't just smoothly start moving? I guess that's a stupid question given your posts:laughing:
Does it seem like it's just really "grabby"

From day one it has just been jerky, hard to get rolling, without trying to feather the go pedal. Yes, it's sounding most likely a clutch/CVT engagement issue. Nothing really affects it so far as improving it's drive-ability from MPOV. Others have tried to drive it without having the jerky-ness to no avail. I did bring it to my dealer's attention early on, and he just said that's just the way they are; didn't buy it then, don't now.
I joined Gator atv web site and introed myself and got a reply about emailing the clutch doc. I did that and await a reply about the clutch issues and possible remedies. Here's hoping for something useful.

/ KIOTI Mechron users: Pros/Cons/Issues: chime in please.... #35  
From day one it has just been jerky, hard to get rolling, without trying to feather the go pedal. Yes, it's sounding most likely a clutch/CVT engagement issue. Nothing really affects it so far as improving it's drive-ability from MPOV. Others have tried to drive it without having the jerky-ness to no avail. I did bring it to my dealer's attention early on, and he just said that's just the way they are; didn't buy it then, don't now.
I joined Gator atv web site and introed myself and got a reply about emailing the clutch doc. I did that and await a reply about the clutch issues and possible remedies. Here's hoping for something useful.

CM

That's the way mine is. Dealer says "that's the way they are". I agree with Arlen, it should not be that jerky when the Clutch engages. I've made mistakes before, but buying the Mechron was an exspensive mistake.

CM

That's the way mine is. Dealer says "that's the way they are". I agree with Arlen, it should not be that jerky when the Clutch engages. I've made mistakes before, but buying the Mechron was an exspensive mistake.

mmsb27, Do you still have your Mechron? I agree completely that it should not behave the way some of the units do, but there seem to be others who don't have the problem with what I refer to as drive-ability. When it goes it gets the job done. It's just the ability to finesse the corners, slow speed turns when cold, and backing up, also when cold, it's just not right. I'm determined to find out why and then fix mine. I don't really have a choice, and who's going to buy it the way it drives? Seems only fools like us, right?!:confused3::confused2:
Hang in there, it ain't over till its over....

/ KIOTI Mechron users: Pros/Cons/Issues: chime in please.... #37  
mmsb27, Do you still have your Mechron? I agree completely that it should not behave the way some of the units do, but there seem to be others who don't have the problem with what I refer to as drive-ability. When it goes it gets the job done. It's just the ability to finesse the corners, slow speed turns when cold, and backing up, also when cold, it's just not right. I'm determined to find out why and then fix mine. I don't really have a choice, and who's going to buy it the way it drives? Seems only fools like us, right?!:confused3::confused2:
Hang in there, it ain't over till its over....

Hi CM

Yes I do. Like you, I'm trying to sort it out. I've had much better luck with used equipment. I splurged and bought new, thinking I'd get a great machine. Didn't happen. I'd read where Kioti used two different brands of clutches. Maybe that's why some folks aren't experiencing the same issues that we are?

Say more about the 2 different clutches and where you read that- thx.
I do know whoever was supposed to supply CVT transmissions dropped out just before original go to market with the Mechron, and possibly two suppliers jumped in at last minute to cover, since Kioti doesn't make their own CVTs.

/ KIOTI Mechron users: Pros/Cons/Issues: chime in please.... #39  
I wonder if the flywheel is to heavy, generally don't have a problem with getting started but diffidently not an inching clutch. 75 hours on mine and when cold it is toucher than I would like. If any one gets some information on adjust the clutch pass it on. Thanks IMG_20180410_121025122_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg.

I wonder if the flywheel is to heavy, generally don't have a problem with getting started but diffidently not an inching clutch. 75 hours on mine and when cold it is toucher than I would like. If any one gets some information on adjust the clutch pass it on. ThanksView attachment 571975.

I did an experiment today. I put some Marvel Mystery Oil I have had sitting on my shelf forever, AND some Seafoam into the diesel tank and then started her up. I confirmed with my son that he agrees today it was running smoother, noticeably, no stumbling, or hesitation such as I have often encountered up until today.
I won't know for a few days at least if this 'treatment' is a lasting change, but I'm fairly certain it likely is.

I speculate that the 'stumbling' and hesitation when trying to start up from a complete stop for my Mechron at least is more about a misfiring cylinder/injector than a clutch issue. BUT I'm not yet certain of that, and will look further into what clutch I have in my specific unit and how to tweak it performance wise, going forward.

I do have a question for any Mechron owner(s) out there: does your tailgate lay flat or do the cables that retain it allow it to open to more than 90 degrees?

Thanks, CM