Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #11  
I'm leaning toward the 2360 over the 1860 for both the extra HP, and the availability of the R4 tires, which seem like they'd be OK for snow and also not too bad for mowing.

Keep the responses coming! I really appreciate it.

If you are going to mow, get the turf tires and use good chains for the winter. R4's are not very good for either task. The turfs with chains will outperform R4's and it takes more expensive chains to make the R4's almost as good in snow.

Front vs rear snow blowing is based on convenience. With only 200' of drive, you'll be done quick. I'd go rear blow and keep the FEL for lifting and maybe even moving plow snow from the road.

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers
thanks again for all the replies.

I think at this point that I'll be fine with the 1860 with turf tires, FEL, 54" MMM, and 2750D snow blower.

If I can get a good deal on the 2360 then I might just do that to avoid any regrets down the line. We're looking at a $30 per month difference between the two based on pricing I was given over the phone.

One more question for those New York State residents:

How many of you have used the ST-125 form to avoid sales tax? It looks like you just have to say the machine is primarily for farming and then fill out the form. Seems like a good idea to me!

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #13  
Whatever you do get hydrostatic transmission. Here is my dads front lawn. He used my tractor.32hp 72" rear mount. Save money buy rear and invest in soft cab. I too live in snowbelt south buffalo.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110216_193933.png
    ForumRunner_20110216_193933.png
    317.6 KB · Views: 457
   / Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #14  
thanks again for all the replies.

I think at this point that I'll be fine with the 1860 with turf tires, FEL, 54" MMM, and 2750D snow blower.

If I can get a good deal on the 2360 then I might just do that to avoid any regrets down the line. We're looking at a $30 per month difference between the two based on pricing I was given over the phone.

One more question for those New York State residents:

How many of you have used the ST-125 form to avoid sales tax? It looks like you just have to say the machine is primarily for farming and then fill out the form. Seems like a good idea to me!
I'm not from NY, but from what I've heard from your radio stations..................That will get you an automatic audit!

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #15  
Hi there,

I live south of Buffalo, NY in one of the snowiest areas around here, and set out initially looking at the Kubota BX1860 equipped with a front-mount snow blower, 54" mower, and FEL.

I've got a 200' driveway. Whatever I buy has to be a great snow machine, otherwise it will have been a waste of money.

It will also replace my ride-on for mowing duties. The FEL seems like a common sense decision, as we regularly deal with 20 yard or larger piles of mulch for gardening.

I attended a home show today and a salesman attempted to convince me that the 1860 will not handle well a large snowfall, and that the 2360 is really what I need.

I'm looking for feedback from people who actually live a high-volume snow area, like the Buffalo area or snow-belt areas in Michigan.

What do you think? Will the 1860 handle it?

Also - The $3000 front-mount snow blower is a hard pill to swallow when compared to a $1500 rear-PTO model. Any compelling reasons (performance?) to go front-mount?

On a related note, Lamb and Webster is quoting me list prices(at the home show), whereas Buffalo Tractor is quoting a respectable discount. Should I expect better pricing if I go to their location (this pricing was at the home show)?

thanks very much!

As much as I would like to say "go for the front blower," I am going to say go for a 3pt. blower and leave the bucket on out front.

I use both, blower/bucket, and it makes for a very versatile snow moving machine.

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #16  
I have a bx1850 with the front blower and have no problems on my 175' paved driveway. We had a storm here to the top of the blower (20''), and it worked just as well for that. Other than the obvious, the other reason I like the front blower is the hydraulic down pressure, so I can scrape the snow off the pavement where it has already been driven on and packed. It has a replaceable cutting edge. This is not an option on a rear mount, but I guess it wouldn't matter if you have a loader on the front.

Well I just took the 1860 for a little test drive at a dealer - I was driving it around in about a foot of snow.

The power steering on this thing is fantastic and is better than I imagined. The machine feels is so different than my Cub SLT1554 that I don't even know what do say about it.

New 1860 stock will increase by $500 for the machine itself beginning on 3/1. I think this is a good incentive to buy now.

I was given a fantastic price for a "combo pack" of the 1860, 54" mower, loader, and blower. My homeowners insurance covers the machine without any increases, so I won't need to purchase the Kubota insurance.

I'm contemplating the hydraulic chute rotator, even though it is a pricey option. In my situation I do have to move that chute around a lot, and this will make it nice and simple.

thanks for the tips everyone.

Also I wanted to share my experience in looking at the Cub/Yanmar SC2400:

Realizing that the SC2400 maps more equally to the BX2360, I have to say that both the BX1860 and 2360 outshine the Cub by a huge margin.

Price:
I was quoted 18-something for the Cub w/loader/mower/blower. BX2360 I can get in the low $17s.

Build:
The cub had a plastic hood, plastic fenders. The grab bars on the Cub felt as if they could rip out of the fenders over time. They were very flexy.

The hydraulic connectors for the FEL/blower were under the foot rest area and connected horizontally. It seems like the ends would get muddy and grassy easily.

The blower on the SC2400 seemed to be built like a freakin' army tank. I'm sure it would've done a good job. The problem here is that it was $500 more than the Kubota model. The manual chute rotator seemed very stubborn, but that could have been an installation or lube problem.

In general, the Kubota seems like you could go a long time without breaking something on the exterior. The Cub seems fragile, like the interior of my 1992 Pontiac Grand Am.

Ok - I pulled the trigger on this sucker.

I got an 1860, FEL, 54" MMM, front-mount blower w/hydro rotation for $1580.

I figured the price was so good compared to the other local dealers that I could splurge on that rotator.

Just in time to avoid the increase of at least $500 for the tractor.

thanks for the tips everyone.

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #20  
Your welcome, and congrats on the purchase. I think it will do a fine job for you.